Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Emergency diversion to Iceland on long haul oceanic

In FS2004: I just did an emergency landing at 629K lbs. at Keflavik (Iceland) on Runway 29 during an FMC programmed flight from Europe to KJFK because I wanted to try an emergency landing.  So I hit FLCH at our cruise alt of FL350 and did a huge descending 360 turn well east of Rekyavik, and then tried to figure out how to re-program the FMC for Keflavik, but could not find the right way to do it, arghh! 

I went into the DEP/ARR window, but that didn't seem to work as expected.  I tried deleting the active flight plan and that didn't work.  I then programmed the arrival runway into the FMC Nav Rad (108.50/292) and it "took".  I hit LOC and APP about 15 nm out.  However, about 10nm from the arrival runway, I got a RWY/ILS Freq error on the FMC scratchpad!  At 9 nm out, I turned off the AP and hand flew.  I observed on approach that the aircraft had been slightly south of the correct approach course and that as I nudged the plane onto the approach course visually, the LOC and APP lit up in green on the PFD.  I switched the AP back on, but it was too late for a LAND 3 arrival, so I turned it off again and managed to do a textbook hand fly to touchdown.

What should I have done to reprogram the FMC for an arrival at Keflavik?  Where did I go wrong?   I greatly appreciate any guidance, thanks!

Where did I go wrong?

Made it more complicated than it needed to be. Treat the diversion just like any other flight plan. Where do flight plans go?

The RTE page allows you to enter a route from Point A - in this case an airport in Europe - to Point B - KJFK.

You are no longer going to the original Point B, so you simply change Point B on the RTE page and then treat it like any other normal flight.

Kyle Rodgers

I then programmed the arrival runway into the FMC Nav Rad (108.50/292) and it "took". I hit LOC and APP about 15 nm out. However, about 10nm from the arrival runway, I got a RWY/ILS Freq error on the FMC scratchpad!

This is probably due to the fact that 108.50/292 does not agree with the ILS course in the AIRAC. Latest charts for BIKF show RWY 29 as 108.50/285.

Peter Schluter

This is probably due to the fact that 108.50/292 does not agree with the ILS course in the AIRAC. Latest charts for BIKF show RWY 29 as 108.50/285.

I am never sure which frequency to use.  On the one hand it is good to use the latest AIRAC frequencies, but on the other, the original frequencies are hard-wired into FSX/P3D/FS9. These can be updated using ADE or similar so that the latest frequencies/headings etc apply but this is hardly a realistic option when you are diverting, unless it is a planned diversion :wink:

Then there are 3rd party sceneries some of which update the AIRAC frequencies. The trouble with these is that they too can be superceded by later RW frequency changes which show up on Navigraph or NATS. 

It is a bit of a minefield and I sympathise with the OP.  At least Jonathan remembered the most important thing - to fly the plane - and they landed safely. :smile:

Supporter.png

John

Hi, Scandinavian 13:

Thank you for your reply.  If I go into my RTE page while in crz flight, before taking this diversionary action, I have 4-5 pages remaining of RTE points, as defined by the VIA and TO columns.  The last entry in the RTE pages identifies the ILS approach to runway 31L at KJFK and then has a missed approach entry.  Currently I am on ("VIA") jetway G3 and heading "TO"  KEF which is the KEF VOR.  Where and how should I enter my desired ILS landing runway at KEF in this situation from my current position 80nm east at FL350?

Thanks for any further guidance.

Update: Ah, I found it!  While in crz flight, I noticed that the RTE pages opened on PAGE 2 with the VIA and TO indicators.  So I did a PREV Page and Voila, I was able to change the destination airport to BIKF.  I EXECUTED the airport and then the ILS arrival runway 29 and all went fine editing the RTE DISCOs. 

By the time I completed this exercise for the very first time, I was 8000 vertical feet above the VNAV descent path (!), so I did a 360 turn on FLCH and levelled off with ALT HLD at 26,000 feet because the VNAV vertical descent indicator showed I was overshooting the VNAV altitude by then.  I held that FL and went back in LNAV mode as we completed the 360, intercepting the route line normally.  Once the vertical altitude indicator showed I was within 400 vertical feet of the VNAV descent track, I hit VNAV again and resumed normal VNAV descent.

I re-set approach waypoint KEF 49 for 2,000' and 170 knots in the FMC, and The Queen did a perfect autoland.

Thanks to all for posts!

Doing enroute diversions adds interest to otherwise mundane long haul flying.  Reality check occurred last week with a United B783 diversion into PACD Cold Bay.  I always used PACD as one of my ETOPS alternates in the N Pacific and found it interesting that the aircraft more than doubled the population of the village. There was no place for folks to go, they had to mill around on the ramp until ASA sent in a few birds to take them to PANC.  If need be, the local residents would put them up in their own homes, sleeping on sofas and floors I guess.  Well, at least it was October instead of February.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hmm, isnt now just a route predesinated to KEF ? Since you know it beforehand it isnt realy a diversion anymore.

Why not enter an engine malfunction with a random setting in the sim and you could have it anywhere what makes it a real diversion, and some sweat in your hands.. ?

Hey, Johan,

Amazing to see your name again, so many years later!  Thank you for posting.  I hope all is well.  

Warm regards

Jonathan, Yep, all is well. Thanks, and you too it seems!

A 'real' diversion I had  a year or two ago when editing an airfile cfg. Made a typo.

A friend of me, and I, planned a flight and we went up to fly the route.

It was from Netherlands to somewhere in Italy.

Just above Austria my eye fell on the fuel on board, and it was down to a quarter! What the... ?

After a few minuts we saw that the consumption was way way more than normal.

I descended immediatly, and found an airport close by that we could make it for.

That was fun!

It turned out in the end that I messed up the fuel flow figure in the cfg after inspecting the 'plane'.