Sign in to follow this  
jakronym

Captain Sim L1011 vs Justflight Pro

Which L1011 (Captain sim l1011 or just flight l1011 pro) has a more in-depth system simulation and can any of the two be considered a study sim?

I have the CS L1011 and it's my favorite CS model. A study? Hmm... maybe. It's got a lot going for it but I don'the have the JF version so I'm not qualified to provide a comparison. Looking forward to hearing other opinions.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I have the CS L-1011.  I wouldn't consider it a study sim, but it is a solid offering and definitely not 'sim lite.'  It has a few things missing but none of them are critical IMO.  Though it looks like it has dual INS systems, it is two instances of the same unit and it has some shortcuts if you don't want to spend your whole flight entering LAT/LONG coordinates.  You can add the freeware CIVA INS and get dual units if you want, but it has to be used via pop-up window and cannot be integrated into the virtual cockpit as far as I know.

There is an excellent, detailed tutorial written by Tom Beckett in the library if you want to dive in deeper than the Captain Sim documentation.  He also provides a few tweaks to the flight model to make it a little more agile.

I don't have the Just Flight version either, but from what I've read on the forum the CS version is generally regarded as the better of the two.  I don't know how well the flight model conforms to the real thing, but it does feel and handle like the big bird that it is.  It has an excellent virtual cockpit and the modeling of the DLC is very well done.

I do fly it regularly and enjoy it.  Unless you know you won't be happy with anything less than a study sim it is well worth having, IMO.

Richard P. Kelly

I own both, and I would say neither is a study-level sim. JF is a bit more complex if you don't mind fewer eye candy.

• Like 1

I have the CS L1011 and it's my favorite CS model. A study? Hmm... maybe. It's got a lot going for it but I don'the have the JF version so I'm not qualified to provide a comparison. Looking forward to hearing other opinions.

I too have the CS L-1011 (as well as most of their other airliners) and I agree it is arguably their best product. It does provide a reasonable degree of functional system replication, but if by 'study' you mean something with the systems replication standard of the Majestic Q400 or the PMDG airliners, then you will find it falls a bit short, although it is still a great airliner to fly. I too don't have the JF version so I can't comment on that, although JF certainly have been improving their system replication standards with their more recent products as I have been pleased to find with their recent One-Eleven.

Bill

In case you're interested in the JF Tristar Pro, They're having a weekend ~60% off deal till Tuesday - Down to 15 GBP.

Use the code "WEEKEND" at checkout.

• Upvote 2

In case you're interested in the JF Tristar Pro, They're having a weekend ~60% off deal till Tuesday - Down to 15 GBP.

Use the code "WEEKEND" at checkout.

Could I ask where is this sale? Checking the JF site, I can't find any mention of a sale and clicking their 'special offers' link, the only products in the sale seem to be non-JF products. Perhaps I have missed something!

I own both, and I would say neither is a study-level sim. JF is a bit more complex if you don't mind fewer eye candy.

I actually disagree with this statement. I also have both, and both are good planes. However, many switches do not work in the JF version (I only owm the standard, not the pro version). Almost all buttons on the CS model do work, so you can simulate standard operations in great detail.

I found an operational manual for the 1011 online and created an amplified checklist for the CS model from it. I only had to omit very few items, even though the checklist includes all system tests - and there are many.

I did not have the impression that all these switches actually make a difference to the flight dynamics, so I agree that both models wouldn't enable you to study non-standard situations. However, you can simulate a normal flight in great detail, and the main systems work really well. For instance, I noticed that you cannot start the engines unless the fuel pump switches and packs are correctly set.

Peter

That's because there are more missing systems than in the pro. The pro is available as an upgrade too.

Mutleys gave it a great review by the way.

http://www.mutleyshangar.com/reviews/ag/l1011/l1011.htm

Chris

Hi Chris,

yes, but the upgrade was always more expensive than the CS 1011 during Xmas sale, so I never was tempted to get it. I trust you that the pro version is competitive. However, I must admit that I have never read a negative review from Mutleyshangar :)

Peter

Could I ask where is this sale? Checking the JF site, I can't find any mention of a sale and clicking their 'special offers' link, the only products in the sale seem to be non-JF products. Perhaps I have missed something!

It was an Email offer for previous JF customers and subscribers.

(I only owm the standard, not the pro version)

Well there you go. The thread starter is specifically talking about the pro version. Again the Pro version is only slightly more complex than CS out of the box.

Guest JustanotherPilot

Add WEEKEND at the checkout and the discount will be deducted

Succumbed to the temptation. 19€ was just too good an offer to be passed upon.

Would have liked to see the longer fuselage models included instead of the military variants though.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days