Sign in to follow this  
jakronym

Captain Sim L1011 vs Justflight Pro

On 10/15/2016 at 3:54 PM, Bjoern said:

Succumbed to the temptation. 19€ was just too good an offer to be passed upon.

Would have liked to see the longer fuselage models included instead of the military variants though.

I know this old but I'm wondering what variants the CS L-1011 offers?

On 10/15/2016 at 3:54 PM, Bjoern said:

Succumbed to the temptation. 19€ was just too good an offer to be passed upon.

Would have liked to see the longer fuselage models included instead of the military variants though.

14 hours ago, bnesbitt0 said:

The CS version only offers the L-1011-1 variant but there also is a freighter expansion pack available from them. The Just Flight Tristar is the slightly smaller but longer range L-1011-500 variant if you happen to be looking for that one.

Bill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scianoir said:

The CS version only offers the L-1011-1 variant but there also is a freighter expansion pack available from them. The Just Flight Tristar is the slightly smaller but longer range L-1011-500 variant if you happen to be looking for that one.

Bill

Yes I'm like the others in this thread trying to decide on an L-1011. I like the CS version but CS planes tend to be a little heavy on the frames and the wallet. I have a few of their planes that I bought during one of their very few sales they have. I had a few of the JF planes and I have noticed as someone else has mentioned that their systems and flight dynamics have improved greatly over the years but they can also be a little heavy on the wallet. The JF version is on sale now. The problem is that I've been able to find only one repaint of the JF version when searching all of FSX and P3D repaints for those. Yes JF has them but you have to buy them. You would think they would offer some free repaints in their marketing plan.

I have the old Aerosim version in FS2004. It flew terribly until I got my hands on an FDE. It flew great after that. They offered the more popular variants yet none of which even come close to the lower JF quality. I put an ISG retrofit in it and retextures the VC and that made a big difference.

Anyway, I'm on P3D v4.5 now so looking to get an L-1011 in the hanger.

My System:

Core i5-6500

32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2400mhz Running at 2133 until I put a 7th gen chip on the board.

GTX 970 4GB

Dell 32" 1080 monitor

Edited by bnesbitt0
  • Upvote 1

I chose the JF L-1011. I prefer JF's virtual cockpit textures over CS.

As far as framerate and VAS the JF L-1011 was never an issue for me.

Meanwhile my CS 707-777 collection definitely come with a bit of framerate tax, especially the 757 and 777.

JF's L-1011 feels very good...a very brute old school analog powerful climber!

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

5 hours ago, bnesbitt0 said:

The JF version is on sale now. The problem is that I've been able to find only one repaint of the JF version when searching all of FSX and P3D repaints for those. Yes JF has them but you have to buy them. You would think they would offer some free repaints in their marketing plan.

Both the CS and JF versions are pretty good but I think the general view is that the JF L-1011 has a slight edge in terms of systems function.

With regard to liveries, JF have a habit of making extra liveries available as additional expansion packs albeit for a fairly reasonable charge compared to other repaint packs that I have seen on the market which are ridiculously expensive. As you say the JF L-1011 (as well as some other JF airliners) have very few freeware repaints available for them for some reason - perhaps they are difficult to repaint. The base JF L-1011 does however come with quite a few liveries and you can add another 33 civilian and a few military liveries for £10.99 in the sale at the moment.

Bill

The biggest concerns raised with me when I can't  find user repaints for any pay ware plane is that maybe not many people are buying the add-on for some reason. Their airplanes are not difficult to repaint. Same as any other add-on. Other developers release free liveries into the flight sim community as a good marketing strategy.

In any case, I don't think there is any add-on that is worth as much or more than the $50 sim that it's being installed into. Even PMDG high quality. Some of their add-ons cost three times the cost of the entire sim. The amount of developers is dwindling because they price themselves out of the market.

They are not like toasters or TVs. They don't have to make another one every time someone buys one. The overhead and cost to market is far less than any household item we buy. They might sell more if their prices weren't so wildly out of range. I've yet to see PMDG put anything on sale. Yes they work hard on their add-ons and they are excellent but $140.00 for one single add-on? I'm sorry. No. If they cut their prices in half, they would probably sell three times more.

Look at Quality Wings. They build really nice planes and they cost less than half the cost of the sim. I just bought their 757 and I'm really happy with it. Next is the BAE. I'll think about their 787. I'm sure it's nice but a bit high in price.

• Upvote 1

On 4/14/2021 at 4:21 PM, bnesbitt0 said:

Other developers release free liveries into the flight sim community as a good marketing strategy.

And then there are developers such as Feel There who want you to pay extra for all liveries. I bought their ERJ135/145 package some time ago to find that it only came with a single Embraer livery despite the fact that the product description states that free liveries are included (also multiple different liveries are shown in the product page screenshots) and the installation manual also refers to the additional included liveries. When I contacted Feel There to ask where were the advertised liveries they replied that they no longer supply liveries with that product but that these can be purchased from McPhat Studios which (no surprise) seems to be another Feel There company! 

On 4/14/2021 at 4:21 PM, bnesbitt0 said:

If they cut their prices in half, they would probably sell three times more.

Absolutely agree! Just look at how the low cost airlines grew so quickly - they offered fares a lot lower than those of the existing legacy carriers and the numbers of people flying increased dramatically. 

Bill

• Upvote 1

Yeah I bought the FeelThere airbus series. Even after years of their releases, I could only find just a few liveries for them. The systems were pretty good for the time. Fly-By-Wire in FS2004. The models and flight dynamics were awful though. I did however like their ATR72. I heard their 727 was nice too but I already had the Captain Sim 727 and really liked that. Nothing was as bad as Abacus/AFS yet these marketing sites keep putting up their garbage. They really should have a level of quality standard.

Back then many of the marketing sites were conning people in the same fashion you were conned. Many developers are doing it too. They recompile a 32Bit add-on for 64Bit and release it as a new product. Me being a programmer knows better but many end users don't.

I just bought the CR1-Ford Trimotor on sale for two bucks. Yes that's right. On sale for $2.00. Words can't describe how happy I am with that plane. Not because I got it for more than 90% off the regular price. The thing looks amazing and is a dream to fly. In their ad they say we should have a high end system. I'm only running P3D 4.5 on a i5-6500 and a GTX 970. I did a flight from KLGA to KALB and it is smooth as silk with FSRealWX. Very rainy all day yet still very frame rate friendly. Developers like that don't come along very often. They are the Quality Wings of vintage. The Champ is on sale too and if you go to their site, their Beech 18 is free.

I might do the same thing. Build some really high quality add-ons and sell them cheap. We shouldn't have to be independently wealthy to buy an add on. I'm working on a really nice version of KALB and surrounding area. I might do just that when it's done.

Edited by bnesbitt0