Sign in to follow this  
Philhen

Multi-Screens for the PMDG 747 -400X

Hi to everyone that reads these posts...

I am looking for (really, I am begging) some help in my system for the 747, and perhaps later on, another PMDG aircraft.  My current system is a Desktop PC running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and to assist, I also have an AMD HD5870 Eyefinity 6 GPU with 16Gb RAM.  Currently, I am only using 3 monitors, attached to the AMD card, which leaves a further 3 slots available for other monitors.  In my never-ending search for getting an even more realistic experience with the 747, I have considered using a laptop as a 4th screen, but this is really a non-starter nat the moment - I tried Air Display which was, as far as I recall, working, but a computer crash wiped that off and for some reason, every time I try to re-install Air Display (by Avatron), I get an Error Code) and discussions with the Developer have not produced anything useful yet.

It then occurred to me that instead of wireless, I should perhaps try to use the remaining slots in my GPU, but I do not have the three monitors that I would want - I do have one but that's quite old and the connector is a VGA slot.  Before I go down the tricky path of purchasing another two or even three monitors, I obviously want to know if anyone has tried this.  My plan (cunning) is to buy/acquire monitors that are touch sensitive and use one to present the overhead panel, and another for the centre area at the RHS of the Captain's seat, thereby giving me a virtual cockpit where I can press switches, control knobs, and so on, making it very, very realistic.  

My Question is.........Does anyone know if this will work as I plan, or am I in cloud cuckoo land?

I would welcome suggestions and of course, lots and lots of help.

Regards to all, and happy flying

Philhen

Hello Phillip,  I am not being insolent but it seems to me you have been spending money as though it was going out of fashion and purchasing hardware that you don't need.  In my humble opinion you should have taken steps to obtain the help and assistance you obviously require BEFORE going off the deep end financially.  Give this a long thought. Regards.

• Upvote 1

Hi Philip,

Have you noticed though that there seems to be a trend of going toward the large 4K monitors?   I have been going down the "add more monitors" setup path for a while but this spring I'm going for this monitor- it isn't 4K but as I set 2 feet away I am not sure I need the video card working to render all those pixels.   Thinking about this monitor, which is a wide monitor but just a wee bit short of 4K:

Dell Ultra Wide 21:9 U3415W 3440x1440

I know it means retiring all your old monitors but this might be the cat-bird setup you've been seeking.   This, with a touch-sensitive overhead panel of your choice, could be pretty cool.   Also keep in mind folks using the Oculus Rift are raving about it and something I may give a try.

Good Luck,

Mark Trainer

I think you mean AMD 5870  eyefinity 6 edition.  There is only one GPU on that Card, not 6.

I think it would work, but at what price? This is quite OLD GPU, Navdia has 4 generations after that. 

I am not sure that best setup, you will running pretty low FPS if it can run at all. 

Plus AMD does not fit FSX that well to beginning, I think your setup will be ticket for trouble. 

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Intel I5 3570K OC 4.2GHz, MSI GTX 670 2GB SLI, MB: Asus P8Z77-V Pro. RAM: 16GB HD:750GB