Sign in to follow this  
rup25

can't get FSX to run smoothly.

Hi

I've been using FSX for many years now and still can't get it run smoothly.

Read about 1000 articles about tweaking and sitting up FSX sliders/framerate and ATI settings but no one satisfying me.

I got a i5 core board running Windows 7 and an ATI Radeon 6950 graphiccard.

I'm using ORBX Global mesh and FSGRW addons.

Now I have come to beg You to help me.I'm running out of alternatives and starting to get desperate ;)

Well, I recommend upgrading to FS9.X. Otherwise P3D or the soon-to-be-released X-Plane 11 might be the answer. X11 looks stunning! With FSX you just have to luck out, for some it works, for some it never works ...

Hi

Read about 1000 articles about tweaking and sitting up FSX sliders/framerate and ATI settings but no one satisfying me.

Now I have come to beg You to help me.I'm running out of alternatives and starting to get desperate ;)

What i5 is the CPU? Do you have an overclock? Are you running default Cfg? Do you have access to a Nvidia card? Let me know and I'll reply with some ideas.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

The CPU: Intel Core i5-3450

Overclockedby: ASUS GPU Tweak

Do not have access to Nvidia card

I can send u my CFG if you have a place were I can send it to.You can't copy and paste in this forum.

Your CPU and GPU are on the low end. The hardware you're running on is extremely outdated as well (2012ish).

Lowering your settings will make it run smoother, but you'll end up sacrificing a lot of stuff. It's pretty much your only option, unless you want to spend some cash and upgrade your hardware.

Jeff is right, unfortunately. None of us want to hear that our hardware is outdated. I have a Sandy Bridge i5 2500k OC to 4.6 and have started to get increasingly poor performance over the past year or so. As time moves on, what was once working fine all of a sudden works not so well as developers release more demanding addons. Another thing that happens, as we start to introduce Windows updates and other stuff, over time, Windows starts to get slower. That's why a complete format of the drive and reinstall can work wonders. The best thing anyone can do, is following a fresh install of Windows, FSX and all addons, is to perform a complete backup with something like Acronis, once you are happy FSX is working fine. You can then reiinstall that backup at any time in the future.

IMO, you have an initial issue with your graphics card, as FSX is a program that is far more suited to Nvidia cards. This just happens to be the accepted position with virtually anyone in the simming world, except those who run Radeon cards of course!

As for your overclock, I am not an expert, but it may be that it is not stable or your voltages are incorrect. Someone else may be able to help with this. But I would recommend firstly changing your graphics card for a Nvidia. As FSX is generally CPU bound, it is not necessary to have the latest all singing all dancing card, something like a 600 series would be fine, unless of course you can push the boat out with your budget.

Before spending any hard earned cash though, I would highly recommend you make a few changes to your slider settings and cfg. The best thing to do is firstly, make a copy of your cfg file and put it in a safe place, just for insurance purposes. Then delete the original cfg file and run FSX. it will rebuild a fresh cfg file. There may be some settings that will be lost, but not usually a big deal. Once you have started FSX then close it again and you need to delete your shader cache, which is located C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders.

Restart FSX, once again it will rebuild a new file. Then close FSX.

There are tweaks to add to your cfg which will help, but firstly, it's important that we look at the slider settings. Go to your FSX slider settings and follow these settings.

GRAPHICS
Untick preview Direct x
Untick lens flare

Untick light bloom

Lock target frame rate at 30
Make sure you're running at the correct resolution
Filtering, try lowering as much as possible to when satisfied. the lower the better performance but at cost to quality visuals.

AIRCRAFT
Untick aircraft casts shadow on the ground
Untick aircraft casts shadow on itself
Untick show cockpit tooltips

SCENERY
TERRAIN & WATER

Level of detail medium
Mesh complexity 80%
Mesh resolution 10m
Texture resolution 1m
Water set at Low 2x

SCENERY OBJECTS
Scenery complexity dense
Autogen density normal
Ground scenery shadows ticked
Special effects detail normal

WEATHER
Cloud draw distance minimum
Thermals none
Simple couds
Cloud coverage low
Weather changes low

TRAFFIC
Airline traffic density 30 (reduce to 0 when flying from small GA fields)
General aviation density 30 (reduce to 0 when flying from large commercial airports)
Airport vehicles 0
Road vehicles 10
Ships and ferries 10
Leisure boats 10

Once you have done all this let me know how you have got on. Also, can you post your OC speed, thanks. BTW, copy and paste your cfg. into the bottom of your next post.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

edit

Howard

Adding this one : Highmemfix=1 under GRAPHICS.

Best regards.

Sure, but nothing else at this moment.  :wink:

Hi

Sorry, in my last post I meant to say copy and paste your cfg file into your post before deleting it. If not, then no problem, as we can start afresh anyway.

Howard

Hi again

It help leaving Lens Flare unclicked.

Now, I stumbled upon 2 tweaks which has a major influence on the smoothing in FSX (even for my poor i5)

Texture Bandwidth Mult= 120 (yes even for i5 it Works)

and

RejectThreshold

PS.

Still can't paste in here

Hi again

It help leaving Lens Flare unclicked.

Now, I stumbled upon 2 tweaks which has a major influence on the smoothing in FSX (even for my poor i5)

Texture Bandwidth Mult= 120 (yes even for i5 it Works)

and

RejectThreshold

PS.

Still can't paste in here

I'd rather you didn't play with any tweaks until you have followed my advice. We can sort the tweaks out once you have reported back. Did you delete your cfg file and shader cache? Did you follow my FSX settings to the letter? What is your overclock? 

Howard

Sorry if I didn't explain my problem good enough from the very beginning and that you have all that trouble, but FSX Works fine now.

All I needed was a way to make FSX run smoother and I found them myself during our conversation.

And I might upgrade my hardware as you said.Its not perfect ad it is now.

You can have my settings if you like

Thanks for your help Again.Its nice to know Theres somebody out there for help.