Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

What airports allow aerobatics?

Recommended Posts


§91.303   Aerobatic flight.

No person may operate an aircraft in aerobatic flight—

( a ) Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement;

( b ) Over an open air assembly of persons;

( c ) Within the lateral boundaries of the surface areas of Class B, Class C, Class D, or Class E airspace designated for an airport;

( d ) Within 4 nautical miles of the center line of any Federal airway;

( e ) Below an altitude of 1,500 feet above the surface; or

( f ) When flight visibility is less than 3 statute miles.

For the purposes of this section, aerobatic flight means an intentional maneuver involving an abrupt change in an aircraft's attitude, an abnormal attitude, or abnormal acceleration, not necessary for normal flight.




A person can get a waiver from 91.303 from the FAA for a Certificate of Authorization for an Aerobatic Practice Area / Contest Box. I don't know of where there is a list of these Boxes -- contacting your FSDO or your local IAC chapter is a place to start.


I did see one IAC chapter that has posted their boxes online - the Minnesota Cloud Dancers. The Aerobatic Box has specific dimensions - you're going to have to contact the box "owner" - a NOTAM will be filed when the box is active etc.



Share this post

Link to post

Just remain outside controlled airspace, do your HASELL checks (remember the first L is for Location - clear of A, B, C and D -- Active airfields, Built-up areas, Cloud & Controlled Airspace and Danger Areas) and fill your boots.


Some smaller GA airfields here in the UK do permit aerobatics in the overhead traffic permitting, and this is normally mentioned in the charts/pilot briefing material (usually as a warning to other pilots that there may be aeros going on).

Share this post

Link to post

so pretty much out in the boonies!



Well ordinarily... you do *not* want to be anywhere near (5nm) of an airport. Good way to find yourself involved in a mid-air. Finding a practice area just for "normal" maneuvers for a certificate (Steep Turns, Lazy Eights, Chandelles, Stalls / Spins) may require a bit of work and a few minutes of flying. But safety is paramount.



Just remain outside controlled airspace



In the U.S. that would likely put you below 1200'agl if not below 700'agl.

Share this post

Link to post



In the U.S. that would likely put you below 1200'agl if not below 700'agl.


Really? I confess that my (virtual) trips to the US have all been in the big iron, so I've not really had occasion to look up the airspace structure all that much from a VFR point of view. Here in the UK most airspace outside the main TMAs and a few larger airfields is Class G (airways (which are class A) permitting).

Share this post

Link to post





Yeah there's some Class G areas that can exist up to 14,500msl where it becomes Class E (tlll 18,000 msl - then it's Class A) but only places I know of are "out west" (west of the Mississippi).


Looking at Wiki for airspace (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspace_class) seems there's a good deal of difference between the UK & U.S.

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Create New...