Sign in to follow this  
Cloudrider

FSX-SE Install Directory

Hi guys,

Just about to transition from FSX to FSX-SE on Win10 and doing lots of homework to support this.

Previously in boxed edition on Win7 the recommendation was to install into the root directory C:/Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

Any thoughts and restrictions around SE at all please? Same again... C:/ or into C:/Program Files (x86) ?

Many thanks -

Nige

Same, anywhere other than Program Files.

C:\ is OK, so is another drive, if you have it.

When you install the Steam client, install it where you want FSX:SE to go, as it will be installed in the Steam folder.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Steam installations work a bit differently than your normal stand-alone products.

By default, Steam will install its games to a directory within it's directory structure. So, if you installed Steam to your "Program Files (x86)" directory, FSX:SE will by default install to....

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

You have a few choices on changing this.

Option 1 - Install Steam itself to a different location.

If you haven't used Steam yet and are getting ready to use it for the first time, consider installing Steam to a non-default location. Personally, I install Steam to my games drive to keep it separate from my apps and such. So, for me, I get the following as my FSX:SE location...

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

...and it all works fine. If you don't have a separate drive for your games, you may wish to install Steam to it's own directory, along the lines of what you see just above, except in C:

Option 2 - Create an additional Steam library location, and install FSX:SE there.

If you already have Steam installed with a bunch of apps and don't want to mess around with reinstalling things, you can create a new Steam library location.

In Steam's "Settings > Downloads > Steam Library Folders" area, you can manage additional locations for Steam apps to be placed.

When you're installing your new game you will have a pull-down option to install the game under the original location or any other defined library folders. Unfortunately, you are still required to maintain the "Steam" style directory structure, but you can use this option to have Steam games residing in other places, such as...

C:\Steam Library\steamapps\common\FSX

Note: When installing a Steam game, that same destination pulldown can be used to create a new library location instead of having to define it in settings.

The only additional advice I have is prior to installing FSX:SE, just make 110% certain that all vestiges of FSX(Boxed) are removed. All registry entries, files, hidden folders, etc... make it as clean as possible.

Good luck!

Thanks very much for that Gents.

That's really appreciated.

One other thing struck me whilst reading your advice. What about scenery ? Does that have to go under the XXXX/steamapps\common\FSX, or can they on seperate drive? I assume the latter like FSX boxed now.

Many thanks again.

Nige

One other thing struck me whilst reading your advice. What about scenery ? Does that have to go under the XXXX/steamapps\common\FSX, or can they on seperate drive? I assume the latter like FSX boxed now.

Your assumption is correct - scenery works the same as it has in the past.

Scenery with automatic installers will know where the simulation is, and attempt to install to places such as...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Addon Scenery

Scenery that you manually install can be installed to any location you wish, just like you have in the past as well. Simply use FSX's scenery library manager to point to the appropriate spot.

Good luck!

-Greg

Your assumption is correct - scenery works the same as it has in the past.

Scenery with automatic installers will know where the simulation is, and attempt to install to places such as...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Addon Scenery

Scenery that you manually install can be installed to any location you wish, just like you have in the past as well. Simply use FSX's scenery library manager to point to the appropriate spot.

Good luck!

-Greg

Cheers Greg.

All the best.

Nige