Sign in to follow this  
Guest David Lee 2

Can't open config mgrs for flight1 products anymore

Guest David Lee 2

OK, I'm not getting any answers regarding my inability to open config managers for the DF727 or the ATR (and a few others I've forgotten) on the Flight1 forum. It seems to be a registry problem from what I can tell. I restored my computer to a time several weeks ago and found they worked fine. I undid the restore and tried an intermediate time and they didn't work. Somewhere along the way, though, I lost all of my restore points so I don't even have that option now.I tried to patch my registry using a program that I purchased. It said I had lots of errors and it corrected them but the config mgr programs are still giving me the same error message. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't help. I looked through the registry (regedit) but could find no mention of the flight1 programs. I am thinking I need to delete them from the registry and reinstall. Any idea where they might be? Is this a bad idea? ThanksDavid

Guest allcott

Flight 1 products create an entire registry folder called, well, Flight 1.If you're not finding that then you need to reinstall. I would also check that you already have the FS2004 registry entry included, as if you've lost that you might have trouble reinstalling. There's a registry fixer file in the library that can put the FS2004 entry back for you, so you don't have to reinstall that, but there's not an equivalent for Flight 1 products, because of their license.Allcott

Guest David Lee 2

Allcott,Thank you for the reply! I tried the FS9 registry fix but that seemed to be OK. I do not see any mention of Flight1 using regedit though. I assume it would be under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and the SOFTWARE. I see Captain Sim and lots of other software listed and don't see it anywhere else. I've tried reinstalling many times with no luck. Hmmmm, seems like I'm getting closer though. ThanksDavid

Steve and others tried to help you but it seems your errors are caused by DLL corruption in your Windows installation itself, something F1 can do little about except recommend you replace the bad files with good ones (Steve told you where to get them).If that doesn't work, and a reboot (sometimes works) doesn't work either, you might be facing an OS reinstall.

Guest David Lee 2

I did try the dll file that Steve recommended but that didn't help. It's only the flight1 registry that appears to be affected. As much as I love my Flight1 aircraft I don't see myself doing an entire Windows reinstall. There should be a way to really uninstall the affected aircraft and reinstallDavid

Guest allcott

All Flight 1 aircraft can be uninstalled using the control panel - add/remove programs, including registry entries. They also allow reinstallation from the red wrapper .exe package without even needing removal first. If yours can't then you have a system problem beyond just installing Flight 1 aircraft and you really need to fix that before your computer gives you any more problems. Are you sure you are switching OFF all spyware, anitvirus and Data Executino Prevention before trying to install? And installing the F1 aircraft from the RED WRAPPER? There seems to have been a rash of cases just recent;y where over-ambitious cleanup programs have removed more than they should - have you run a registry cleaner package in the recent past?Allcott

There is no Flight1 registry entry. I've those products installed as well, they don't occur anywhere in the registry.

Guest allcott

That can't be right - they appear in the add/remove programs selection from where they can be uninstalled so they MUST be in the Registry as that is where the data is read from, and I have listings for my F1 aircraft.Dont know if there are any more specific references, or hidden references because of the licence, but in any event it should never be necessary to run Regedit just to remove all traces of software, and it's never shown up in any Flight 1 manual so I can't believe that the presence or otherwise has any effect, so if it is causing a problem it's caused by an outside factor. Allcott

The few reasons could be spyware scanners breaking system DLL's. This has been seen many times. Also, registry scanners can break a registry entry. It is not a registry entry for a Flight1 title, but a registry entry for maybe an ActiveX dll, which requires registry entries to work (COM components are another name).So, spyware scanners and some registry cleaners can actually break Windows. Use these with caution.

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software

The installer may make references, but those aren't used by the software itself.

Guest David Lee 2

Steve,That makes sense as I have used a spyware scanner in the last month or so. I also used a more aggressive defrag program that was recommended on one of the forums. Now, the big question, how do I correct it? I have to admit, I even purchased another Flight1 program and installed it last night hoping it would repair a dll somewhere but it didn't. Someone on the Flight1 forum had mentioned the exact same error message but it resolved spontaneously after installing a few more addons. The problem is I own almost every Flight1 addon! The Tibet scenery was about the only thing I could find for download that I didn't have. Thanks!David