Sign in to follow this  
DragoB

SkyMaxx Pro v3 50% sale!

Thanks for the heads-up! However, I'm a bit reluctant as I don't want to buy SkyMaxx Pro v3 now and then SkyMaxx Pro v4 (for X-Plane 11) will be released in a couple of weeks... Does anybody know how close SkyMaxx Pro v4 is? I just read somewhere that it is in development.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Well, though the sale is over, very close.. just received an anouncement today...

Seems they repeat what they did last year: a sale to get suckers to buy the current version, and then they release the new one right away...

Worst part is the stone faced developers when someone asks they say "well how are we screwing you? You got it for half price and on release *if you want to upgrade* you can get the new one at half price, so you're not really over paying"

They fail to see that some people are willing to spend only up to the sale price on the product, and doing this is pretty much a scam, as if you don't upgrade you're basically out of support/updates, as once the new version is out the previous one is pretty much abandoned...

At this point you're not paying for a product with support and updates, you're just paying for a yearly subscription... v3 was the last one for me, no more buying from this greedy dev.

Well, though the sale is over, very close.. just received an anouncement today...

Seems they repeat what they did last year: a sale to get suckers to buy the current version, and then they release the new one right away...

Worst part is the stone faced developers when someone asks they say "well how are we screwing you? You got it for half price and on release *if you want to upgrade* you can get the new one at half price, so you're not really over paying"

They fail to see that some people are willing to spend only up to the sale price on the product, and doing this is pretty much a scam, as if you don't upgrade you're basically out of support/updates, as once the new version is out the previous one is pretty much abandoned...

At this point you're not paying for a product with support and updates, you're just paying for a yearly subscription... v3 was the last one for me, no more buying from this greedy dev.

I don't see it this harsh. I bought v3 in the sale and now I will get v4 for half the price. So in total just the regular price for SkyMaxx Pro. I'm fine with that. If the quality is right, then I'm happy to pay 40 bucks for it. I really like X-Plane but weather still sucks. So I'm really happy about any progress in this area. With X-Plane 11 around the corner and a better weather representation using SkyMaxx and Real Weather Connector, X-Plane is becoming a serious contender for P3D. I really like it so far...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

I don't see it this harsh. I bought v3 in the sale and now I will get v4 for half the price. So in total just the regular price for SkyMaxx Pro. I'm fine with that. If the quality is right, then I'm happy to pay 40 bucks for it. I really like X-Plane but weather still sucks. So I'm really happy about any progress in this area. With X-Plane 11 around the corner and a better weather representation using SkyMaxx and Real Weather Connector, X-Plane is becoming a serious contender for P3D. I really like it so far...

Well that's your point of view, and like I said above. For you it's fine, others (myself included) think $20 is the most I wanted to spend on this, so like you say IN TOTAL the regular price, meaning you either pay the regular price, or you just bought a product that will receive no further updates (or fixes if needed...). I think that is pretty dishonest, and not going down that path again, already did with v2/v3. you pay 40 bucks just for this year.. next year v5 and you have to shell out another 20.. and so on..

Well that's your point of view, and like I said above. For you it's fine, others (myself included) think $20 is the most I wanted to spend on this, so like you say IN TOTAL the regular price, meaning you either pay the regular price, or you just bought a product that will receive no further updates (or fixes if needed...). I think that is pretty dishonest, and not going down that path again, already did with v2/v3. you pay 40 bucks just for this year.. next year v5 and you have to shell out another 20.. and so on..

I agree with this, I'm still at SkyMaxx Pro v2 and refuse to "upgrade" every now and then. I get why they do it, it's not like they can charge full price for incremental upgrades. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth when they have an "upgrade sale".

I agree with this, I'm still at SkyMaxx Pro v2 and refuse to "upgrade" every now and then. I get why they do it, it's not like they can charge full price for incremental upgrades. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth when they have an "upgrade sale".

Yep.. by comparisson look for example at Aerosoft's buses, how long has that ben going on... Or REX TD... Or ASN even....

Not gonna re-buy the product every year, but these guys pretend a yearly fee pretty much... 

Oh well...

Well, can't really agree on the comparison with those products because:

1. Aerosofts Airbus pack is probably one of the best bang for the buck packages in all of FS. The A318/319 came much later than the original product and they are basically new models. Also, look at how long Aerosoft has supported the Airbus Extended packages for FREE.

2. REX TD, again brand new textures and animations not at all the same product as REX Plus Essentials. One could argue that SoftClouds could've been included.

3. ASN to AS16, again long time of free support and updates and then a fair upgrade deal HOWEVER I didn't much appreciate the split licensing thing though I understand why.

Problem with SkyMaxx is that is being "upgrade updated" too frequently and at a premium cost even at half price. Also the last couple of "upgrade updates" have all occurred right after a sale. It would be a more honest business practice to skip the pre-release-sale and instead just offer the new product, in advance, for maybe 20% off for ALL customers for maybe a couple of weeks instead. Just Flight does this with their new releases and I bet it boosts sales AND does good pr. Just a tip.

I don't mind paying for a new version with really substantial changes but to be honest, at this point, I don't see the changes being substantial enough to warrant paying again. I also agree that the 50% off sale on V3 is slightly misleading and would lead to disappointment among some purchasers. Not everyone here has a lot of money to burn and to pay 20 dollars again having just done so is not nothing. I think that as we are used to paying a lot for this hobby it's easy to get to tunnel vision a little on what's fair and unfair practices. 

Less than two months later, time for another "update sale" again! Geez, talk about milking it:

"SkyMaxx Pro v4.0

Check out the new basic overview of what SkyMaxx Pro v4 will have to offer! It's the most advanced version of SkyMaxx Pro yet, introducing new clouds, new precipitation and more! Plus, if you're a current SkyMaxx Pro v3 customer you will receive 50% off!"

Wow! fantastic....http://forums.x-pilot.com/forums/topic/11916-basic-feature-overview-for-smp-v4/#comment-113551