Sign in to follow this  
PaulFWatts

Unpowered (i.e black screen) F1 GTN 750 in latest update 1.15

Hi,

I have a weird problem (which I suspect many others will have when they upgrade ) with the F1 GTN 750 GPS upgrading from 1.14 to 1.15

I've followed all the upgrade procedures correctly and it works fine in an aircraft where I have added the 750 as a stack (i.e. it's not inbuilt into the panel) however is unpowered for the 2 planes  (the lancair and turbine duke from realairsimulations) where the 750 is built into the panel. have tried all combinations of reinstalling,installing using the aircraft configurator supplied by realairsimulations, rebooting windows etc etc but no luck.

Strange thing is if I remove the 750 from the panel using the aircraft configurator in these planes and add it as a stack using the F1 configurator the 750 still remains dead. However I can switch to another plane (without exiting P3D) and the 750 works fine from the stack.

As usual with problems like this have wasted a lot of hours on it with no result.

Using the latest version of P3D and Windows 10 64bit with all latest patches, running things as administrator, whole P3D excluded from the virus checker etc etc.

Have emailed real air support plus posed in the F1 GTN 750 forum but hoping someone else in this forum has experienced a similar problem and can point me in the right direction to solving it.

Kind regards

Paul Watts

• Upvote 1

After some more troubleshooting I have finally solved the problem as follows:

Navigate to the file GTN_config.ini

Should be here: C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Flight1 Aviation Technologies\GTNGauge

In version 1.14 I needed the following line for the 750 to work correctly:

[Legacy]

Enabled=1

In version 1.15 have changed to:

[Legacy]

Enabled=0

and it seems to have solved the problem

• Upvote 1

Using the latest version of P3D and Windows 10 64bit with all latest patches, running things as administrator, whole P3D excluded from the virus checker etc etc.

Hi Paul, you did'nt mention whether you had downloaded the new version of the garmin trainer and did you run the F1 update tool, just a thought a I hav'nt upgraded myself yet.

bob

Edit see you posted as I was typing .. good news yoou solved it.

Hi Bob,

Procedure I followed was as follows:

1. Uninstalled garmin trainer and F1 GTN 750

2. Downloaded latest F1 GTN 750 from here http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=f1gtn

3. Run the installer from step 2 above

4. Downloaded the new garmin trainer from the link provided by the installer (as you are installing it)

5. Installed the new garmin trainer and tested that it worked

6. Continued the installation of the F1 GTN 750

7. Tested aircraft 

Shouldn't need to rerun the F1 configurator I don't think.

Hope this helps

Hi Bob,

2. Downloaded latest F1 GTN 750 from here http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=f1gtn

4. Downloaded the new garmin trainer from the link provided by the installer (as you are installing it)

7. Tested aircraft 

Hope this helps

Thanks for that Paul, may have ago later on.

bob

lots of problems with the installer on the fsx version, they are trying to fix it, not sure  how many p3d users are having issues but i would suggest visiting the flight1 forum to see the issues, they bsay they are working on it.

[Legacy]

Enabled=0

and it seems to have solved the problem

Followed your instructions Paul and installed firs time, however had to carryout the same mod.

so thanks for the all the work you put in to solving the problem.

bob

Hi Bob,

7. Tested aircraft 

Hope this helps

This is what I did for P3D and it worked with no problems, and didn't have to edit anything. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Very glad I could help. I know exactly how frustrating it is with problems like these. I love the GTN 750 and use it in all my flights. 

I just read on another forum that they have released 1.16. They also posted that legacy must be set to legacy=1 with the latest version which install right over 1.15. Does not need the trainer. http://www.simforums.com/forums/gtn-v116_topic56704.html

The link on the Flight 1 GTN page has not been updated yet, it still says 1.15, but the patch is 1.16.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

If you uninstall/reinstall and do those steps only I believe you will lose any saved GTN flight plans. I have a text file with instructions on what to copy off, then after reinstalling copy back. I am scrambling to find that txt file. The instructions originally came from Bert P.  Point that our especially for any FSX users reading this thread as range of use has been much longer.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

If you uninstall/reinstall and do those steps only I believe you will lose any saved GTN flight plans. I have a text file with instructions on what to copy off, then after reinstalling copy back. I am scrambling to find that txt file. The instructions originally came from Bert P.  Point that our especially for any FSX users reading this thread as range of use has been much longer.

I just moved to 1.16 and did not lose any flight plans. I did when I installed 1.15 and the trainer. 

I believe these are the steps needed to safeguard your GTN flight plans.

Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Garmin\GTN Trainer\

Locate these folders (you may only have 1 & 2):
GTN1nonvol
GTN2nonvol 
GTN3nonvol

Copy them to a secure location.  I put these under a folder with a name that reminds me they are backups that contain my saved flight plans.  I routinely back these up.

Once you have uninstalled/reinstalled the GTN and Trainer, make secure copies of the post-installation GTN#nonvol folders to another secure location (for safety).  I put them under a folder with a name that reminds me they are fresh from just after installation.  

Finally, copy back the GTN#nonvol folders that contain your flight plans, overwriting those from the new installation.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere