Sign in to follow this  
FromTheFlightDeck_Sim

Is it necessary to start the starboard engine first?

Historically I think the No 2 (starboard) engine has tended to be started first because normally boarding is from the left hand side of the aeroplane: therefore, the No 2 engine is in theory furthest away from any ground equipment/steps etc etc and so starting it first during the pushback meant that by the time you got round to starting the No 1 (port) engine you would be a bit further away from the jetbridge etc (or, indeed, in some cases (particularly in the really old days), you could have started #2 (or #3 and #4) whilst still boarding on the port side of the aircraft).

The #2 engine is usually more of a concern for ground operations due to it's proximity to the cargo doors, which are typically the last to get closed on departure and the first to get opened on arrival.  Running #1 with the jetbridge attached isn't really a problem.  If we have to leave an engine running on arrival due to an inop APU we shut down #2 once parked and then #1 after the ground power is connected.

Even though i only have experience with the crj, at my company, we always start 2 then 1. Unless, its the first flight of the day for the airplane, then its 1 then 2. APU is usually always on if its hotter than 25 degrees Celsius. As far as the 737 is concerned, If the cabin temp is 26 degrees Celsius or higher, start 2 then 1 so you can isolate the R pack for airflow in the cabin. If its colder, then you can do as you wish.  This is just a basic basic basic foundation to use.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Even though I am a real world pilot, private ASEL with an instrument rating, I have no experience flying an airliner. However as a frequent passenger on airliners, mostly Southwest Airlines, I can tell you that...

1. Neither engine is started before all doors are closed, ground crew are away from the airplane, except for the pushback crew, and the airplane is pushing back or pushed back.

2. Engine #2 (starboard/right side) is ALWAYS started first followed by engine #1 (port/left side).

I cannot remember a time for many, many flights where this wasn't the case. Although I agree it depends on company SOP, situation, and manufacturer recommendation.

Dave Paige

It's definitely an SOP-dependent thing, which may or may not include conditions for various issues, as some have noted (starting with the huffer, odd parking spots, location of equipment, etc). As an example, I think we may have had the ramp divas (170s) start #1 first just in case we had a last minute bag to throw in (bag bins are on the #2 side).

Earlier, someone had mentioned the 74s as well. When it comes to the 74s, it seems that it's mostly down to the engine type. One suggests paired starting (12 / 24), while the other suggests opposing starts (14 / 23). I can't remember which is which, and what the third manufacturer recommends for theirs.

Kyle Rodgers

Engine #2 (starboard/right side) is ALWAYS started first followed by engine #1 (port/left side).

I'd be careful making such absolute statements.  Engine #2 is NORMALLY started first.  There are times where you can't start #2 first, such as when you are starting with an external air cart.

To quote Spin737, "Only Siths and simmers deal in absolutes."

To quote Spin737, "Only Siths and simmers deal in absolutes."

Uh oh. That's my quote?  Star Wars and flight sims? That does sound like something I'd say, though. :Doh:

Matt Cee