Sign in to follow this  
strider1

X-Plane or P3D ?

I use all 3 flight sims as they all provide something different. I just got into the oculus rift and this is a must for any flight sim user to try out. Each sim with a lot of work and 3rd party addons will do. I found when I would get sick of P3d I would just fly x-plane or vice versa. There is no need for just 1 sim. 

After some years installing and uninstalling them all, I finally found my best option ever.

There simply is no airliner simulation to the level of sophistication of Aerowinx PSX's B744, so I use that one for my short tubeliner hops...

For GA, I use ELITE when it's IFR, and Aerofly FS 2 for the feel and looks, although IFR can also be played in it, and for the best ever flight dynamics IL2 Battle of Stalingrad, which I would rather prefer not being a Combat simulation, but ends up being the sim I load more often to play for a while when I just have some minutes at the Games PC.

There have been times when I think if I should try FSX:SE, P3D or even XP10 again, or consider XP11, even if just for the sake of serving as visual generators for PSX, or to use a recently released promising add-on, but I end up abandoning the idea because I remind myself of the good reasons I shouldn't even bother trying, and massacring my internet connection and small SSD disk with yet another useless install.

But I do look fwd for the progress ( even if slow - which is understandable given the small team ) of Aerofly FS 2 which for me beats hands down FSX/ P3D and XP in terms of "feel of flight"... and has much more "believable" flight dynamics. The upcoming Q-400 and helicopter will be excellent proofs of concept for this platform too.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I enjoy X-Plane these days, 64 bits is so nice, on my rig I get 30 fps stable with the IXEG 737, skymaxx pro 3 during bad weather landing at a big airport.

With either P3D of FSX SE, I get micro stutters as soon as the weather is bad.

Granted this may not apply to someone with a powerful rig. Mine is 3 years old.

Also the P3D prices are quite steep especially for a software that is not to be used for entertainment...

I might consider P3D again if they make it 64 bit, the 10 years old graphic engine doesn't cut it anymore for me at this time, especially with the micro stutters.

Not sure if really just ANOTHER thread is needed on this topic. I skimmed through the posts, and the arguments are the same as have been in the other threads in the last weeks. Might have been better to post the video in one of these:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/494883-has-anyone-moved-from-fsx-to-xplane/

http://www.avsim.com/topic/496014-considering-buying-x-plane-x/

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Not sure if really just ANOTHER thread is needed on this topic

It's a popular topic for sure, and so far the discussion has remained civil (but you know quickly these threads tend to derail). 

I'm thinking or writing up a large Q/A post or guide for FSX/P3Ders about X-Plane. There are often several running topics on the same questions, so it might be useful for us to get everything in one place, as good information often gets lost when these threads inevitably turn into a bickering match.

• Upvote 2

From my own point of view, I believe any sim platform is great as long as it fulfills your own personal needs. There is no one "winner" here!!!

I chose to remain an XP enthusiast not because is better then P3D, but because it fulfills my own personal needs.  

Bashing or saying that this sim is better than that one is just nonsense. 

Stating that one sim has better flight dynamics than the other one is totally subjective. If you ask 10 aerospace engineers which platform simulates better flight dynamics, you will get different answers.

Comparisons are pointless unless you are comparing apples to apples and in the case of flight sims there is no such case.

Stick with what you like and support it.

• Upvote 3

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo