Sign in to follow this  
DarrianCZE

P3D V3.4 - Freeze after a long period of time

Hey guys. Does anybody here has the same experience as I have?

My P3D suddenly freezes and stops responding. It eventually crashes. This problem started with the 3.4 update. It occurs after some time. I have been flying from EHAM to CYYZ and it happened like after 5 hours of flight.

And it is not influenced by any aircraft. So it's either AS16 + ASCA doing it, or something else. It happened to me previously, when I was making a tower view when controlling at IVAO.

Jan Podlipsky

See the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 31 for possible solutions to freezes.  The AVSIM CTD Guide provides a link to the AppCrashView program as well as how to troubleshoot using the System Event Viewer.  The guide has procedures for fixing all crashes/freezes start on page 10.  Most freezes are caused by high P3D and display driver settings.  When you run out of resources, your system will freeze up, simple as that.

The AS16 guide also has some information about freezes caused by their product.  They recommend the AffinityMask tweak but I have found this has little or no affect on freezes and, in fact, can cause even more problems if you are not computer literate and know exactly how to employ this tweak for YOUR system (not the same settings for everyone).

Link to the AVSIM CTD Guide is in my signature.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Get yourself AppCrashView  http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/appcrashview.html for " free ".  It will tell you which dll  is causing the crash.  That will help identify your problem.

Well... it didn't really crashed at first, only froze and stopped responding. So it didn't posted any error log into the Event Viewer.

See the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 31 for possible solutions to freezes.  The AVSIM CTD Guide provides a link to the AppCrashView program as well as how to troubleshoot using the System Event Viewer.  The guide has procedures for fixing all crashes/freezes start on page 10.  Most freezes are caused by high P3D and display driver settings.  When you run out of resources, your system will freeze up, simple as that.

The AS16 guide also has some information about freezes caused by their product.  They recommend the AffinityMask tweak but I have found this has little or no affect on freezes and, in fact, can cause even more problems if you are not computer literate and know exactly how to employ this tweak for YOUR system (not the same settings for everyone).

Link to the AVSIM CTD Guide is in my signature.

Best regards,

Jim

I doubt I ran out of system resources. I have a very powerful system, and I never had this issue until upgrading. And I was using affinity mask, and decided to dump it, and it made zero difference.

Jan Podlipsky

Well... it didn't really crashed at first, only froze and stopped responding. So it didn't posted any error log into the Event Viewer.

Then you did not have a freeze.  Just a pause.  But you indicated it eventually crashed.  Windows System Event Viewer logs all freezes/crashes.  There is only one place you should look in the Event Viewer for an issue - in the Summary of Administrative Events.  This lists all issues on your computer.  See page 7 of the AVSIM CTD Guide.

I doubt I ran out of system resources. I have a very powerful system, and I never had this issue until upgrading. And I was using affinity mask, and decided to dump it, and it made zero difference.

The more powerful the computer system, the more likely you will set your P3D and display driver settings too high.  This may work on short flights but never on long flights, especially flights over 3 hours.  You will simply run out of VAS or the amount of VAS remaining will be insufficient to continue the flight.  I always monitor the amount of VAS during a flight with the FSUIPC utility (see page 15 of the guide).  What I like about it is the fact it will show the average and high/low fps during the flight and also the amount of VAS used.  However, if your sim freezes up or crashes, it will not complete the monitoring and the fsuipc.log will probably not have complete information.  If will show the amount of VAS remaining when the sim was shutdown though.

P3Dv3.4.9 works great by itself with default settings, default scenery, default aircraft.  It's the add-ons that take up a lot of resources as they usually have a lot of eye-candy.  You indicate it was not caused by any aircraft but, IMHO, there are no default aircraft that are exciting to fly for 5 hours so you must have installed a payware aircraft like one from PMDG, Aerosoft, FSLabs, Carenado, IFly, FlightOne, etc.  Coupled with abnormal weather using AS16 (maybe a lot of rain, wind, etc.), it takes up a lot of resources.  I doubt AS16 caused the crash by itself though but a lot of clouds and shadows does not help.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

So I am doing a test flight right now, and I am already about 4,5 hours airborne, and so far so good. I have noticed that I had my GPU slightly underclocked. Which I have done according to one guide at Nvidia Forum in order to prevent driver from crashing when flying in P3D. It¨s strange that this could be the reason... but we will see :-) Because I have this "tweak" for a longer period of time, and it was working.

I have also tried to disable Hyper Threading, but I highly doubt that HT is the reason. We will see :-)

But I highly doubt that wrong setting is the reason. I am using my setting since 3.1 and it is working flawlessly, and VAS never exceeds 3,3 GB at the most complex airports. Temperatures are also alright at my CPU and GPU.

Jan Podlipsky