I think my 2011computer just died.  It was awesome with a 990X CPU and dual 590 GTX cards.  I get a failure to boot error/insert disk and press any key.  If I need to re-load FSX again and al the airports, scenery etc, I'll do it on a new computer.

Anyways, I want Stealth Machines to build my new computer;  They recommend a 6-core Intel i7-5820 CPU, but I see I can get an 8 core Intel i75960 for $750 more.

Also they recommend a GeForce GTX970 video card (4gb), but fir $1800 more, I can get a Titan Z with 12 GB.

Are these upgrades ta the 5960 and Titan Z card going to show much improvement??

Paul Gugliotta

If you have the money, definitely go for the better CPU, P3D and especially FSX will use it to its full potential.

I think Titan Z is too overkill, P3D certainly wont use it to its full potential, FSX will barely touch it -unless you a planning on using this machine for other gaming. A GTX 1070 with 8GB Ram is plenty (or the 1080).

Ask for a quote for an i7-6700K CPU and GTX1070 GPU.

+1

Clock speed is king with CPUs in FSX. The 5820 has a base clock of only 3.30GHz (turbo boost 3.60GHz). The 5960 is worse with a base clock of 3.00GHz and turbo of 3.50GHz. The 6700k has a base clock of 4.00GHz with a turbo boost of 4.20 GHz and overclocks better in reviews than the other two processors. Whilst P3D and, to a lesser extent FSX, are multi-core aware, they still rely heavily on single core performance. If all you want the system for is flight simming, you're wasting your money on anything with more than 4 physical cores. In fact, the same applies to most (all?) modern games. By the time you actually need more than 4 cores for gaming, all of these processors will probably have been replaced anyway.

For the graphics card, it depends on the resolution you're running at. Less than 4k and a 1070 will have no problems. At 4k, a 1070 will work OK but a 1080 will give you more headroom (but at a price premium). As flamer said, a Titan Z is complete overkill for FSX or P3D.

That said, if money is no object and you just want bragging rights, the 5960 with a Titan Z will achieve that aim but will probably not run FSX as well as a 6700k with a GTX 1070.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I would wait for Kaby Lake 7700k and Z270 motherboard. Thats what i decided recently when i was thinking of upgrading my current 4770k/z87 setup.