Sign in to follow this  
Cat_Dad

Big Airports and No Buldings

Being extremely new to X-Plane 10, I wanted to visit several large airports to see how they looked.

Did you know that at both KDEN and KDFW, all they have built so far are runways and painted on some parking spots on the ramps. I did a complete everything download on line (over 60 Mb) and would have expected airports of this size to have something on the ramp. Much smaller airports like KABQ and KFWA have very nice scenery when I dial them up.

Are we to expect that when X-Plane 11 comes out, these airports will be populated with buildings? Hope so.

Terry

Being extremely new to X-Plane 10, I wanted to visit several large airports to see how they looked.

Did you know that at both KDEN and KDFW, all they have built so far are runways and painted on some parking spots on the ramps. I did a complete everything download on line (over 60 Mb) and would have expected airports of this size to have something on the ramp. Much smaller airports like KABQ and KFWA have very nice scenery when I dial them up.

Are we to expect that when X-Plane 11 comes out, these airports will be populated with buildings? Hope so.

Terry

KDEN has 3D scenery (buildings), they have been added just 10 days ago.

Maybe if you run the updater, it will download the new version? In any case, you can download directly KDEN with 3D buildings from the gateway website:

https://gateway.x-plane.com/scenery/page/KDEN

Default KDFW has no 3D scenery at the moment, but there's a freeware one (with buildings) that you can download here:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/19412-kdfw-dallasft-worth-international-airport/

X-Plane airports sceneries are crowdsourced, so the number of airports with buildings will continue to increase over time. I think at the release of X-Plane 11, there will be more than 3500 airports with 3D buildings.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Hi Murmur,

Hope that is just your computer  name and not a heart condition. : )

Anyways, thank you for the two links and the info on the scenery files. I looked at my version of X-Plane 10 which I downloaded the entire digital global package on Thursday 13 Oct 2016. It says I have version 10.51r1  build 105100 64 bit.

Does X-plane have some sort of way/built in means to see if it is up to date and or to add new scenery as it is available? Will this Denver scenery auto load or do you need to do something similar to FSX and add the scenery files to a specific file folder?

I guess Denver missed getting placed in the global data base if it came out 10 days ago. When I landed there I thought maybe that Indian burial ground curse /  underground alien base  thing had wiped out everything.

Terry

Hi Murmur,

Hope that is just your computer  name and not a heart condition. : )

Anyways, thank you for the two links and the info on the scenery files. I looked at my version of X-Plane 10 which I downloaded the entire digital global package on Thursday 13 Oct 2016. It says I have version 10.51r1  build 105100 64 bit.

Does X-plane have some sort of way/built in means to see if it is up to date and or to add new scenery as it is available? Will this Denver scenery auto load or do you need to do something similar to FSX and add the scenery files to a specific file folder?

I guess Denver missed getting placed in the global data base if it came out 10 days ago. When I landed there I thought maybe that Indian burial ground curse /  underground alien base  thing had wiped out everything.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I am one of the scenery authors that is trying to populate more of the X-Plane world´s airports. I am about to finish KDFW (it takes about 80 hours of work to do an airport of that size) - it will be of comparable quality to my other big airports (go to KLAX, for example, to see).

I hope to get it included in the next release for 10.51 - depends on how fast I can finish.

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 1

As the one who worked on KDEN I can say they do take a lot of work.  The way it works is, users create and upgrade the airports.  They are then posted to the X-Plane Gateway website.   X-Plane staff then review the scenery and approve it (or not).  Once that happens and the green check mark goes to the new version of scenery listed, it is then marked to be included in the next update of X-Plane (most of the time).  The Gateway has been a bit backlogged as a new version of the Editor came out with new features that we could not post updates with until early October.  So, most of the airports included with 10.51 are from a few months back.

Until the new airports are included in each update of X-plane one must manually download the airport and place it in the custom scenery folder.

Cheers,

Brendan

Again to all, thank you very much for the education on how X-Plane updates the scenery files. The way the company talked, they had thousands of airports built. Guess they did not say to what level they were. Hopefully the hard work you all are doing in X-Plane 10 will carry forward into the new X-Plane 11. 

Are there instructions on how to manually update the scenery files till the next sim update comes out? You mentioned update 10.51.  According to my system, I think I might have that one already as it is 10.51r1. Does that mean it is rev 1 of the 10.51 update?

Other than looking here in the AVSIM forums, how do I determine that a new official update is ready to download. Then does that just overwrite the current version? FSX only had the two major updates and you needed to add additional scenery as you needed.

Starting to get a handle on some of the sim operation but still cannot find a good keyboard command ref sheet to supplement the mouse and joystick inputs. Still not able to set any of the autopilot parameters on the glare shield of the 747. When ever I click on the set knobs say for the altitude or airspeed it only moves the panel fore and aft. I believe someone in another post mentioned that these problems go awy in the new version 11?

Finally, do not know if I am doing it correct or not. In order to close or end the program, I need to move from a  "Full screen" view to a window view in order to get the "X" in the upper right corner of the screen to close with. Again this is different from FSX where all you do is to click on the drop down menu to close the program when you are in a full screen mode.

So many questions, trying to learn a new system. Been a MS flight sim type ever since the first ones came out. Before that back in the 70s and 80s I got to work on the real thing, The F-4E and F-111D flight sims in the Air Force. Oh if we only knew then how far they would come and that you could put in a desktop computer (just barely coming on the market) what once took a complete room to house. And they did not even come close to the level D type training devices used to train crews today. Yet even back then with all those ancient devices, if you could fly the "Box" (Singer-Link Blue) flying the jet was a piece of cake. I know this as I got some real world stick time in the F-4C. It was much easier to fly than the sim and  second nature as flying my Cessna 150 .

Terry

Hello, Let's say I'm using XP v10.4 and adding freeware airports to my custom scenery folder.

So, then XP V10.5 update comes out.

What's the easiest way to see if  V10.5 update now has better airports than the ones I added before.

This way I could remove the old addon airports and save some space.   Yes?

Again to all, thank you very much for the education on how X-Plane updates the scenery files. The way the company talked, they had thousands of airports built. Guess they did not say to what level they were. Hopefully the hard work you all are doing in X-Plane 10 will carry forward into the new X-Plane 11. 

Are there instructions on how to manually update the scenery files till the next sim update comes out? You mentioned update 10.51.  According to my system, I think I might have that one already as it is 10.51r1. Does that mean it is rev 1 of the 10.51 update?

Other than looking here in the AVSIM forums, how do I determine that a new official update is ready to download. Then does that just overwrite the current version? FSX only had the two major updates and you needed to add additional scenery as you needed.

Starting to get a handle on some of the sim operation but still cannot find a good keyboard command ref sheet to supplement the mouse and joystick inputs. Still not able to set any of the autopilot parameters on the glare shield of the 747. When ever I click on the set knobs say for the altitude or airspeed it only moves the panel fore and aft. I believe someone in another post mentioned that these problems go awy in the new version 11?

Finally, do not know if I am doing it correct or not. In order to close or end the program, I need to move from a  "Full screen" view to a window view in order to get the "X" in the upper right corner of the screen to close with. Again this is different from FSX where all you do is to click on the drop down menu to close the program when you are in a full screen mode.

So many questions, trying to learn a new system. Been a MS flight sim type ever since the first ones came out. Before that back in the 70s and 80s I got to work on the real thing, The F-4E and F-111D flight sims in the Air Force. Oh if we only knew then how far they would come and that you could put in a desktop computer (just barely coming on the market) what once took a complete room to house. And they did not even come close to the level D type training devices used to train crews today. Yet even back then with all those ancient devices, if you could fly the "Box" (Singer-Link Blue) flying the jet was a piece of cake. I know this as I got some real world stick time in the F-4C. It was much easier to fly than the sim and  second nature as flying my Cessna 150 .

Terry

Basically you put each airport into your custom scenery folder.  You will find a lot of info here:

developer.x-plane.com/

There you can read about updates coming and read documents on scenery editing, etc.  X-Plane itself will check for updates when you start it.  You can also force it by starting the installer again and tick off allows betas and run update.  If you have the CD version from them you will get beta versions.   If you have the steam version you must wait for release candidate versions.  R1 = Release Candidate 1.  If they find no issues it will stay as an R.  They normally do not just post a final 10.51 version for example with no R.

To close X-Plane you should just need to go under the file menu and select EXIT.  Very similar to FSX

Brendan

Hello, Let's say I'm using XP v10.4 and adding freeware airports to my custom scenery folder.

So, then XP V10.5 update comes out.

What's the easiest way to see if  V10.5 update now has better airports than the ones I added before.

This way I could remove the old addon airports and save some space.   Yes?

From developer.x-plane.com/ you can read release notes that list what airports have been improved or added for the release.  But yes you are correct, if you remove the custom one from the folder if will then show you what the current release has.

Cheers,

Brendan

Brendan,

I did not find a "Exit" in the menu but did find a "Quit" Thanks

Also, downloaded directly from the manufacture via their website, http://www.laminarresearch.com/

and it was their digital version (no cd).

As for the r1, they must be testing it on us or something because that is what my version says.

Terry

You can get lots of high quality airports at the xplane org website. Be advised though they most likely will require extra free libraries to make them pop. 

Thanks,

Yes I have found that site and already downloaded the PHX and DEN and DFW add-on scenery files. Looks like the have tutorials and more. 

Terry

Thanks,

Yes I have found that site and already downloaded the PHX and DEN and DFW add-on scenery files. Looks like the have tutorials and more. 

Terry

Yeah the org is where you realize all that is available for x-plane.