Sign in to follow this  
karlh

Why use multiple folders for storing a/c?

In the JoinFS thread:

Karl,

Interesting, but not sure I fully understand. When you say " Those aircraft go into a folder that FSX "sees" but P3D doesn't", does that mean you have aircraft outside the FSX Airplanes or Rotorcraft folders that you can fly in FSX if you wanted to? Just to clarify, what I mean by FSX 'seeing' an aircraft, is that FSX will not have to create a substitution for it in JoinFS if someone else is flying it.

I certainly see reasons for having 'extra'  aircraft folders -- for example, I have a Hanger folder under SimObjects with aircraft I am not using and don't want to show up in the FSX aircraft selection screen. However, those aircraft will not be 'seen' by FSX in the JointFS environment, so there is no reason for JoinFS to scan them -- I will still have to make a substitution if someone else if flying one of them.

So I'm not questioning the need for extra aircraft folders, but rather the utility of having JoinFS scan them. It is confusing to have aircraft in the substitution list that won't work as substitutes because FSX can't 'see' them after the substitution is made.

Thx,

Al

Al,

Some a/c work well in P3D or Steam when the files actually reside in the FSX folder. A few do not. It's best for Steam and P3D not to see them. The FlightReplicas Super Cub is a good example. Since it cause a crash to Steam or P3D if it even gets loaded as a substition, I place it in FSX\SIMOJECTS\FSXOnly. There is no reference to that folder in the Steam or P3d cfg file so there is no chance of it getting loaded.

If you're curious as to why do all this to start with, it is about saving time by not doing multiple installations and about saving hard drive space. See http://msflights.net/forum/showthread.php?3330-Have-FSX-SE-use-the-aircraft-from-the-boxed-original-FSX if you interested in learning more about the procedure. As with all things PC related, typing it out makes it looks much harder than it actually is to do.

Cheers

Hi Karl,

I understand why you have the FSXOnly folder. My only question is, can you fly an airplane in FSX that is only in the FSXOnly folder?  I would expect that you can only do so by adding a line in the FSX.cfg file that points to the FSXOnly folder.

Al

Al, 

You are correct. There is a reference to the folder in the FSX.CFG and not one in the Prepar3D.CFG.

Cheers