Sign in to follow this  
Skyseek

Piper PA28RT Arrow IV Flight Model Issues

I purchased the PA28RT Arrow IV via the STEAM DLC.  The Vr speed for rotate according to the  A/C manual is 65 - 70 knots (depending on weight and conditions)  I just did a take off roll and I couldn't get off the ground until I was at 110 knots.  I have flown this A/C and know that can't be the case.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Skyseek

Check your elevator trim settings.

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Thanks Greg,

I tried different Trim settings and still I need 85-90 knots or more to get the A/C off the ground.  I really think something is wrong with the model.

Thanks!

Hi...

I haven't used their Arrow since FS9 - it's one of their older works and had abysmal flight dynamics in FS9 - never tried it in any of the newer sims...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Thanks Greg,

I tried different Trim settings and still I need 85-90 knots or more to get the A/C off the ground. I really think something is wrong with the model.

Thanks!

Skyseek,

I have to agree with Scott. That was an earlier work for Carenado and the flight dynamics were horrid at best. Here's a fix for it though. Go to your aircraft.cfg. Scroll down to your "flight tuning" section. Change two values.

elevator_effectiveness=2.2

pitch_stability=1.75

Those two values will certain make it flyable. I have no idea for the life of me why they made the elevator basically ineffective in this plane with such a low value of 0.7. Also adding some elevator to it means you're going to have to make it a bit more stable otherwise the nose will pitch up and down on you. Give those a shot and let me know how it works out for you.

Gary

Oh wow I remember that model... great looks, horrible everything else.  Since then they've gotten better for sure.  Especially when Bernt Stolle did the flight dynamics.  He doesn't do them anymore...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Oh wow I remember that model... great looks, horrible everything else.  Since then they've gotten better for sure.  Especially when Bernt Stolle did the flight dynamics.  He doesn't do them anymore...

Ryan,

I didn't realize he wasn't doing their FDEs anymore.  That really is a bummer.

recently read an article re: the real Piper arrow.Pilots going from the Cherokee to the Arrow (with its stabilator) noticed they had to hold back more on the roll out and and it unpredictably leaped off the runway. forcing a fast trim/yoke correcting for smooth initial ascent.. Sorry forgot the airspeed.

2 Monitors, 240G SSD.FSX:Steam with UTX USA Scenery, ORBX Base, Buildings, Airports, NorCAL, Steam addon- Airports, Trees, Milviz310R, Alabeo310R, Flight1 GTN750/650, Carenado- TBM850, Baron, Arrow, V35, F33, C441, 421C, Phenom 100, Premier 1A, RA Duke B60 V2, RA Duke Turbine V2,  Active Sky Next always running real WX. Skyvector