Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

The most helping friendly OOM

With so many threads started by people hoping to solve problems, I thought that I would post something random that happened to me today with P3d. I started running it with the RealAir Turbine Duke parked at KJAX, with me trying to explore the new version of the Flight1 GTN 750 (1.15). Then my wife reminded me that the Cubs-Dodgers game was starting, so I paused P3d and left my computer.

After about two hours of watching the game, I went to make some tea and get some cookies and I realized that I left the computer on. I went to shut it off and I noticed that P3d had run out of memory, even though it was still paused. In Process Explorer it showed P3d only using 2.7 GB of VAS, but that doesn't really mean too much. I checked the SimConnect logfile and the last entry was:

< 18662.16855 [67] ObjectData: RequestID=5  ObjectID=9722  DefineID=6  dwSize=204

The various SimConnect 3rd party addons were still running even though P3d was paused. How 9,722 objects were created  when the sim was paused for 99% of the time that  it was loaded in memory is certainly curious, but that's one of the mysteries of flight sim apps, I guess. No solution required.

Why does my gut tell me there is something going on between SimConnect and the newest P3D that is causing the massive drop in VAS on some systems?    I landed in KMCI from KFLL with 97megs of VAS left today.. BARELY crawled up to the gate.   That same flight on 3.2 would have still had 500-600 megs left of VAS remaining.    There is some combo of add-ons that is not playing well with 3.4.9.  I feel it deep in my soul.    I can't explain any other reason why flights that use to be fine are now OOM nightmares.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

This is interesting!

A follow-up thought...could it even be a specific version of SimConect causing the VAS issues?

I made it into a habit always installing all three versions that originally came with FSX plus the version that comes with P3D. Reason being I learned different add-ons will depend on different versions and requiring them to be installed and at the same time I learned there shouldn't be any issues having them all installed since any particular add-on will only use the exact version it is looking for.

Maybe this is no longer true...?

Richard Åsberg

Don't panic, if you see a simconnect error, it'll be down to the app using it, don't blame the version it uses. They all use the same code, the version presents a different subset of functionality. It is correct it makes no difference how many simconnects you install, if you don't install them all and you run an app that requires it, install it then.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com