Sign in to follow this  
N1125Y

SE, give me 5 reason why I should switch

About to re format and re-install FSX, before doing so I'm wondering if it's worth to consider the SE as an option

1.) Memory Management - even if you haven't encountered a memory issue in the past, FSX:SE's memory management has been vastly improved and translates into a more stable platform.

2.) Recompiled - FSX:SE was recompiled against newer development tools, resulting in better optimizations for today's processor instructions. The game itself wasn't reworked, but this refactoring against newer tools does result in smoother operation. I've found FSX:SE to work far better under heavy loads (high density scenery) than FSX:Boxed, which may be important to weaker systems.

3.) You're reformatting - One of the key pain points for FSX:SE results from someone transitioning from FSX:Boxed to FSX:SE without a very careful and complete uninstallation of the original. By already planning on a reformat, you're eliminating this potential issue and setting the stage for a very good experience.

4.) Steam - The ease of a reinstall via Steam is a worthwhile, and the fact that you can't lose or scratch your FSX:SE "DVD's" (*because they don't exist) makes for a nice safety net.

5.) It's still FSX - 99% of your FSX items will function just fine. A few select addons do have some issues, but unlike P3D where compatibility is a little more of an issue, FSX:SE is exceptionally compatible with your library.

If you're reformatting, I'd say go for it!

1.) Memory Management - even if you haven't encountered a memory issue in the past, FSX:SE's memory management has been vastly improved and translates into a more stable platform.

2.) Recompiled - FSX:SE was recompiled against newer development tools, resulting in better optimizations for today's processor instructions. The game itself wasn't reworked, but this refactoring against newer tools does result in smoother operation. I've found FSX:SE to work far better under heavy loads (high density scenery) than FSX:Boxed, which may be important to weaker systems.

3.) You're reformatting - One of the key pain points for FSX:SE results from someone transitioning from FSX:Boxed to FSX:SE without a very careful and complete uninstallation of the original. By already planning on a reformat, you're eliminating this potential issue and setting the stage for a very good experience.

4.) Steam - The ease of a reinstall via Steam is a worthwhile, and the fact that you can't lose or scratch your FSX:SE "DVD's" (*because they don't exist) makes for a nice safety net.

5.) It's still FSX - 99% of your FSX items will function just fine. A few select addons do have some issues, but unlike P3D where compatibility is a little more of an issue, FSX:SE is exceptionally compatible with your library.

If you're reformatting, I'd say go for it!

Excellent. Thanks.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

tnx guys for all your comments.

....as mentioned before a new Rig is not currently an option thus moving to P3D. The $8 or so investment is something my budget can tolerate ...lol

I do not use RXP & PMDG

& yes I do have issues with FSX stability, performance over dense Air Spaces,  and crashes from time to time, better performance & stability along with eliminating the hassle of dealing with tweaking are my main goals.

Like few other mates, I'm concerning mostly about Hardware and software comparability (GoFlight VRInsight, Saitek Etc.) 

• FreeMesh Global
  • ORBX Vector & Global.
  • LINDA, FSUIPC, SPAD
  • Few Carenado GA Birds

& that is, basically, it

I'm a RW Student Pilot that wish to use the Sims mostly for training purposes in the SoCal & NoCal regions 

Cheers

BTW

Can I install SE on a dedicated HD ????

In addition to the other improvements mentioned here, SE completely avoids any of the potential problems with registering FSX. As a recent convert, the claims that you'll get double the FPS are highly unlikely for most people. Just like a fresh install of FSX:MS, a fresh install of FSX:SE seems incredibly fast until you start adding things to it. I would say that it's slightly faster than the boxed version but not enough to be the sole reason for switching to it. However, I do think that it's slightly smoother than the boxed version and as it's currently 70% off in the Steam Store, it's a no-brainer if you're reformatting or building new. Having used both, given the choice I would go for SE.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

.... I'll take the plunge ..... Que Sera Sera ... we can always move back to the Box edition :dance:

I just like the boxed version better. Stable for years. No CTDs or OOMs so why mess with it.

+1

I bought SE last Christmas and have tried it twice... once each on Win7 and Win10.  Both efforts were disasters!  I suffered OOM's (never have had any in all the years I've used FSX Gold), blurries (in both OS installs), and random crash-to-desktop occurrences in Win10 (Event Viewer just showed FSX.exe as the culprit).  In the end I'm back with Gold and the sim is running just great under DX10 with the Fixer (been using it for almost 3 years).

I'm not saying the folks who prefer FSX:SE are wrong, but claims of "better" performance from SE should be taken with a grain of salt.  As is always the case, there are a great number of variables that will determine how FS runs for each of us.  For me everything is better with Gold.  At least the cost of trying SE is low... kudos to Steam and DG for that.

Greg

Can I install SE on a dedicated HD ????

Yes... You can install Steam itself onto a dedicated drive, or create new library location on a separate drive to install FSX:SE to.

Please see this post that I recently made on this very topic!

-Greg

1) No more extensive tweaking. It really runs best (for me) without any performance tweaks.

2) No more physical installation medium, i.e. no more scratched or lost DVDs.

3) No "service pack" dance. Download and go.

4) Better memory management with less chance of OOMs.

5) It's still FSX, so unless you have some payware with a fancypants installer or version checking, everything that ran in FSXMS will run in FSXSE.

If you get Steve's DX10 fixer and run FSXSE in DX10 mode, you'll have a killer experience.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Actually fellas, the main reason I feel anyone could benefit from moving to SE from FSX is for the VAS mangement which Dovetail seem to have addressed within the code of FSX. This alone, IMO would be worth the move.Here is a video which is extremely interesting. Skip to 7 minutes in... 

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

And the final reason to buy FSX:SE....flash sale until October 26 at Steam...it's 70% off...or just $7.49.

There is absolutely no reason to hold off at that price. 

• Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Got it!

Howard

Good move, you wont regret it.

:wink:

Howard

I have FSX Box. Step by step instructions for installing FSX SE please.

SE installed all HW is functioning the only addon is Accu-fell

ES is up and running & within 20 min crashed 10 times with about 10 different *.dll issues 

On top of this I found out it is hard to get a compatible weather addon to replace the FSX RW weather 

Nice

Yair

Did I say 5 reasons ..lol