Sign in to follow this  
pocketwatch50

Fustrated

I  uninstalled FSX from my main drive and reinstalled on a new Drive I got specifically for that purpose. The install didn't go well and many of the files and directories were not installed where they should have gone. However I was able to move things around and FSX works without errors now and I got all the add-ons working too.

So my problem is after loading up FSX and starting the program, at some point (usually pretty quickly) the video starts to go south and quickly the screen goes to black and orange and flashes and that's the end. I seem to recall from experience this can be caused by not having the highmemfix=1 notation in the config file. So my problem is where is the config file. When the program was installed there was no users directory and FSX didn't create one. A search of the drive only brings up config files I put there and have renamed to troubleshoot. At this point I've renamed all the FSX.Config files I found (all I placed there myself manually) so the program must have put it someplace. Of course unless it is using one off another drive if that is possible.

So my options are 1-reinstall FSX again on my new drive after deleting it or 2- trying Steam or saying the heck with it and switching to P3D which I have but never used.

Any suggestions

Win 7

alienware aurora R4

I-7 extreme

Nvidia GTX 1070

Sound like the first install was faulty.Uninstall FSX delete all folders and reinstall.

Try FSX-SE=it's on sale now!

Jay

Dude, get FSX SE...it's way better than stock FSuX and dirt cheap right now.

spacer.png

Regardless of what drive you install FSX to there are going to be some files on your C:\ drive, like the FSX.cfg.

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

C:\Users\your name\Documents\Flight Simulator Files

Moving these to another drive simply makes them inactive on that other drive.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Regardless of what drive you install FSX to there are going to be some files on your C:\ drive, like the FSX.cfg.

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

C:\Users\your name\Documents\Flight Simulator Files

Moving these to another drive simply makes them inactive on that other drive.

regards,

Joe

This is very true.  These files must install on the C drive, that's the way MS designed their flight sims and there is no changing it.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I  uninstalled FSX from my main drive and reinstalled on a new Drive I got specifically for that purpose. The install didn't go well and many of the files and directories were not installed where they should have gone. However I was able to move things around and FSX works without errors now and I got all the add-ons working too.

So my problem is after loading up FSX and starting the program, at some point (usually pretty quickly) the video starts to go south and quickly the screen goes to black and orange and flashes and that's the end. I seem to recall from experience this can be caused by not having the highmemfix=1 notation in the config file. So my problem is where is the config file. When the program was installed there was no users directory and FSX didn't create one. A search of the drive only brings up config files I put there and have renamed to troubleshoot. At this point I've renamed all the FSX.Config files I found (all I placed there myself manually) so the program must have put it someplace. Of course unless it is using one off another drive if that is possible.

So my options are 1-reinstall FSX again on my new drive after deleting it or 2- trying Steam or saying the heck with it and switching to P3D which I have but never used.

Any suggestions

Win 7

alienware aurora R4

I-7 extreme

Nvidia GTX 1070

There is always a "users" directory on a Win7 system. You need to change the file manager options so that you can see hidden files and folders.

DJ

Thanks for all the advice.

I solved the issue. Even though FSX was installed on my new drive the FSX.config file was installed on the system drive. Once located adding the highmem fix solved the issue.

When I added the new drive and installed FSX it dumped all the files into the FSXdirectory I created. There was no users directory hidden or not. (The new drive is not the system drive) I then created the users directory myself with all the sub-directories and moved the FSX config from C to the new S drive but FSX didn't use it instead using the one it created on the C drive.

Thanks for all the advice.

I solved the issue. Even though FSX was installed on my new drive the FSX.config file was installed on the system drive. Once located adding the highmem fix solved the issue.

When I added the new drive and installed FSX it dumped all the files into the FSXdirectory I created. There was no users directory hidden or not. (The new drive is not the system drive) I then created the users directory myself with all the sub-directories and moved the FSX config from C to the new S drive but FSX didn't use it instead using the one it created on the C drive.

Glad you got it fixed.  The "users" directory is one of the system reserved directories and is always associated with the root drive. You can put a directory named "users" anywhere on the system other than root, but it will just be a normal directory and will not be used.

DJ