Sign in to follow this  
caaront

I love this 737, even though I don't do the systems yet

Folks ask me why I bought an expensive plane to manually fly without delving into all the wonderful systems, they think I am crazy.

I am a disabled veteran and cannot sit but 20-30 minutes here and there.

I loved all the PMDG videos, it is such a beautiful plane.

I asked if one had to use the systems to enjoy it, or if they could just start with it running and fly, I was told I could make it as simple or as complicated as I wanted, so I jumped in head first and love it.

If I never fly more than 20 minutes at a time it is well worth it for me, it is such a beautiful model, the VC is awesome.

I have flown the first tutorial flight, with several breaks to stand and stretch (I do not recommend breaking your neck, it messes with you physical qualtity of life forever after).

I do want to delve in a little deeper here and there, and that is the beauty of this plane, you can do it as you are able, but enjoy it immensely from day 1.

I am so happy it does not force you to start cold and dark to fly it, anfd force the systems on you, I would not be able to enjoy it at all if that were the case.

But I can fly twenty minutes and forget my pain and worries in the best best simulator AC bar none, and I love it.

It is worth every penny and more.

It is the best.

• Upvote 3

Aaron Tirrell

But I can fly twenty minutes and forget my pain and worries in the best best simulator AC bar none, and I love it.

It's been said that flying is the most fun you can have with your pants on. Aaron, don't hesitate to hang out here in the forum and ask for advice on anything.

There are some very short routes flown real world that you could give a try, such as KLAX-KLAS which is my favorite short hop. As for hands on flying, many think the B737-700 is the sweetest flying aircraft buy my favorite is the -600 in BBJ livery. I pretend it's my airplane that never has more than 90,000 lbs of ZFW so it becomes a real performer.  I fly it to places I want to go rather than airline routes but I never park at a gate... for example at KLAS I park in front of the FBO with the much smaller biz jets.  Fun stuff.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

I completely understand what you mean about this plane being a joy to fly, for me personally, it is my favourite jetliner by a mile. And even though I regularly simulate flights at the far end of medium haul, I find that doing shorter ones allows for more flights on a day. If you are interested in some short haul routes into exotic areas, Rwandair flies the 737 800 from Nairobi (HKJK) to Kigali (HRYR), and Ethiopian Airlines flies the 737 800 from Zanzibar (HTZA) to Kilimanjaro (HTKJ). Both of those can be completed in under an hour. Obviously, the reverse routes as well.

I don't really know how many hours I have on the 737, but it is far more than all the rest combined, which is not bad considering that I was convinced that I wasn't going to buy it.

As for getting the most out of the systems, due to time constraints I take my time getting to know the planes' systems, as such, it demonstrates that there is an enormous amount of pleasure one can get from the plane without necessarily knowing the systems inside out. I tend to take the view that, given just how much depth is simulated, it is up to the individual user to find their sweet spot, whatever that may be, because this plane is such a joy on so many different levels.

• Upvote 1

I have the impression that this is the kind of message that gives the developers the will to keep going.

Happy flights!

• Upvote 1

Aaron, may I suggest some easy and fun reading on systems is Capt. Mike Ray's 737NG Training Syllabus. He presents things in kind of a comic style that you can just relax and enjoy. you can order from his web site www.utem.com, PC Aviator, even Amazon.

And hey dude, from one vet to another, thanks for your service!

Regards, Vic Green 

• Upvote 1

Vic green

I have the impression that this is the kind of message that gives the developers the will to keep going.

Happy flights!

The beauty of simming is that it lends itself to a great many more avenues of exploration and satisfaction than the pursuit of the perfect emulation of real world procedures.

I know of at least one 6 month old who thought the night lighting of the 777 overhead panel was just about the most captivating sight she ever saw, and that the sound of the engines of the JS4100 was the perfect lullaby.

And then, sometimes, it's just a great form of escapism. To borrow a line from Bender from Futurama, Reality can bite my shiny metal ... I forget how the rest goes.

The west coast of America has some short flights they are more than 20 minutes but less than an hour. And they all have some great scenery if you can afford it. Either OpenLC America, or FTX Southern California + Northern California. And FSDreamTeam LAS and LAX. Flightbeam SFO. Hop between those airports and 40 minutes in the air or less. Once you get a hang of the systems you can get everything up and running in the time it takes to align the IRS (or use the quick align option). When I do not have a lot of time to fly I love flying between these airports. And using real flight plans taken from Flightaware and listening to real atc from liveatc.net Flight sim has taken over my free time as the only hobby I really enjoy and still enjoy even after flying for almost 20 years.Have not purchased a video game in years only flight sim addons! Relaxing and educational learning how to operate like they do in the real world. - David Lee

• Upvote 1

Hello,

I am also one who loves flying the 747NGX in Prepar3D and for the most part sticks to the short hops that may not mimic a real world flight, but for me encompasses the fun stuff like the takeoffs, climb, a short cruise (5-10 min), decent, and landing.  For this I recommend wholeheartedly the Hawaiian Island chain- great scenery all of it.  You've still got all the big airports along the way that can handle the 737.   A common route is to start at PHLI (Lihue) to PHNL (Honolulu), turn around and take off to PHOG, land and turn around and head down to PHTO for a nice landing.  All of these airports have CAT III Autoland equipment, and with ASN (Active Sky Next) you can either use real world weather or setup something more difficult and even change the time to night.  

One of the neatest things about Flight Simulators is that you get to decide how hard you want to make the scenario.   For a couple of years I was doing the flight described above using PIC 767 and gradually cut back on the amount of starting fuel until I could only make it to all the airports if the first approach to each one was spot-on.  No margin for error or you'd become shark food!   It made for some real white-knuckle landings at PHTO!   Even ran out of gas taxing to the gate a couple of times.

Mark Trainer

All of these airports have CAT III Autoland equipment

Agree, island hopping is fun and beautiful.  Your use of the term CAT III Autoland is a common error, and ILS facility might be rated for CAT III approaches, but it is never rated for autoland which is strictly limited to the certification of the equipment on the aircraft and training of the crew.

And to clarify, none of the island major airports have a CAT III approach published.  I don't think they have many days in a year or decade that weather gets below CAT I.

Dan Downs KCRP

And Multi Crew Experience makes it all the better, having a FO aboard has really put me in the mood to fly again.

Aaron Tirrell

Caaront...Sorry to hear of the severe limitation. I'm a disabled Vet, my sitting time is 1.5 hours or so, that pushing it, but takes long time before i can get back into it. PMDG aircraft are the best tho !! And as PATCHO LCH related, "from one vet to another, thanks for your service!"