Sign in to follow this  
rsperge

steps to repair fsx gold edition

I have been simming for many yrs,and I have FSX Gold Edition, what are the steps to do a repair with this format ?

Why do you want to do a repair?  Are you having problems?

The biggie with a Repair is any default file, including those default aircraft.cfgs with added liveries, that have been modified, tweaked, or otherwise changed, will be returned to default status.
You can make a copy of your existing FSX folder before the repair and paste those individual files back in afterwards.
IMPORTANT:
Acceleration Repair only fixes what the Acceleration expansion pack modifies/adds. It will not repair core FSX files.
If you have SP1, SP2, or Acceleration installed, they will have to be uninstalled before a repair attempt, and reinstalled, after the repair, or it won't work.

Once you have your FSX up and running properly again, back it up, all of it.
You may need it again and it's a lot easier than a Repair or Re-Install.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I have been simming for many yrs,and I have FSX Gold Edition, what are the steps to do a repair with this format ?

Since the FSX Gold Edition includes FSX, SP1, and Acceleration, just place the first FSX disk in the DVD holder and select repair.  It will bring FSX back to the default as it overwrites the fsx.cfg and scenery.cfg.  If you had any addon's like FSDT airports, you will have to reinstall each one.  If you had UTX and/or GEX installed, GEX replaces your default files so you will have to reinstall GEX.  Make sure the fsx.cfg folder does not have a dll.xml or exe.xml as they are not default files and will load at start up after repair and that could cause some issues. 

Best thing to do is simply do the repair and then reinstall addons to avoid any issues.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

So Jim what are the exact steps cause I chose repair on the first disc, then rebooted and then did repair on fsx acceleration disc I believe, but many of my addons are still there like from fs dreamteam  GEX, UTX, etc, but I still have the same problem, sfter about 10-20 minutes fsx stalls and stops working.

Are you getting any type of error or "Crash to desktop"?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

So Jim what are the exact steps cause I chose repair on the first disc, then rebooted and then did repair on fsx acceleration disc I believe, but many of my addons are still there like from fs dreamteam  GEX, UTX, etc, but I still have the same problem, sfter about 10-20 minutes fsx stalls and stops working.

You insert the first disk and chose 'repair'.  When the first disk has done its thing, it will ask for the second disk.  Once the second disk has completed, insert the third disk (Acceleration) and chose 'repair'.  If this does not happen, then you have something seriously wrong with the fsx disks.  Repair goes through all of the actions as if you are installing FSX for the first time. 

What will 'repair' do?  It will replace GEX textures that replaced your default textures but not FS Dreamteam or UTX.  It will overwrite your fsx.cfg and your scenery.cfg.  The Modules folder will be replaced as that is normally not installed when you install FSX/Acceleration.  It is added when you install an addon like FSUIPC.  The dll.xml and exe.xml is not replaced.  They are not default files.  They are installed when you install FSDT airports and other addons that require the use of of these .xml files such as Active Sky, PMDG, etc.

When you first start up FSX after a repair, it will go through all of the normal actions as if you just installed FSX like asking you if you trust this module or that module.  If it doesn't then your repair was not completed properly and you would be best served to uninstall FSX/Acceleration and buy FSX-SE for less than $5 (until the 26th) and install.  Make sure you remove all of the hidden folders - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx.  I would also run a registry cleaner to make sure the registry is cleaned too.

Or you could completely uninstall per the link I provided above and reinstall your FSX Gold disks.

I still have the same problem, sfter about 10-20 minutes fsx stalls and stops working.

What were you doing when FSX stalls and stops working?  If you allowed the dll.xml and exe.xml to load and/or any non-default .dll in your main fsx folder to load and it does not belong to the default installation, then that caused the crash.  One of them were not compatible with FSX.  For instance, it is a well-known fact that FSUIPC will cause a crash if it is not updated to the latest for FSX.  It is a well-known fact that any Active Sky program will crash if not updated to the latest version.  So, if you are loading addons that are not compatible with FSX, FSX (not the default installation) will crash.  As I have stated many, many times, FSX/Acceleration will work great by itself without any addons.  You will have great FPS.  Then you add commercial/freeware addons and things go 'south' fast.

So, to bring FSX back to the default, you need to move the dll.xml and exe.xml to a temporary folder but, be aware, you cannot use any of the addons that require it, like the PMDG products and FSDT products.  I would also remove your FSX.cfg.  Restart FSX and it will rebuild.  Once it is operating properly, then start reinstalling your addons one by one.  I usually start with GEX.  Ultimate Terrain does not need to be reinstalled but you should run their utility once to get the entries into the Scenery.cfg.  It is best you reinstall FSDT airports and PMDG products even if the products are already located within your installation of FSX.  Reinstall the latest FSUIPC (if you use this utility).  Once everything is running properly, reinstall any additional addons.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

All my ground textures have gone haywire, Squares and water textures in land, layer are wrong too.

Will a "repair" Help me fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Berlopez

8 minutes ago, Berlopez said:

All my ground textures have gone haywire, Squares and water textures in land, layer are wrong too.

Will a "repair" Help me fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Berlopez

Maybe a Shaders problem?

Charlie Aron

Thanks for your reply Charlie. Afraid cannot post an image, but can describe, where there should be grass, at all airports, default as well as addonns it only shows Black textures.

Await for advice what and how to do about the Shaders?

Berlopez

Edited by Berlopez
inserting image on next post.

Thanks a Million Charlie, just one question I am not sure about:

"To fix the issue, go to the folder mentioned above and delete everything inside the folder.  The cache will be refreshed and rebuilt the next time FSX is run."

There are two folders, do I delete the contents of both folders or just the one and if yes, which one?Shaders & Shaders10 ??

Thanks in advance.

Berlopez

Just recieved message of your reply Charlie, but I can't find it ?? Please post again.

Edited by Berlopez
Can't find reply?

Shaders10 may be for DX10?  To be safe, don't delete the Shaders folder but cut and paste to a safe place.

Charlie Aron

Charlie, did as you suggested, fallowed intructions in the link but see the results:

https://ibb.co/dprSGPv 

Here's what I did, I cut both folders and pasted them to desktop, to be safe, then open up FSX, result the image above. Have returned the folders to the original folder.

Here is what the Ground Textures look like during the day

https://ibb.co/yYwLNy4

Berlopez

Edited by Berlopez
More info.
  • Upvote 1

OK, it was a good try!  That sorta blows up any other suggestions that I can think of!

Charlie Aron