Sign in to follow this  
Mudhen

Overbright Traffic Landing Lights

After a system rebuild and reinstall of FSX the landing lights on incoming traffic are way too bright - not like before the crash.  Once I see the traffic, the brightness starts to occur about halfway in.  What can I do to turn it down a few notches?  In case it matters, I have Plan-G running.  I'd attach a screenshot but I don't see a way to do that on the forum.  Must I upload it to photobucket or elsewhere?

Also, I'm pretty sure that in my previous install I could spot incoming traffic much further out than 2.5 miles.  Should I expect better than that?

Best Regards, Gary

Are you using REX Textures?

Also LOD comes into play I believe, possibly you are at a lower setting?

No REX. Haven't knowingly changed LOD. Where do I set that?  I have numerous addons but nothing I think should affect LOD.

While mucking about, I found fsxlights.zip and that has improved the landing light problem.  Can live with it now.  Adjusted the light scalar settings in fsx.cfg to so surface lights aren't so bright. But the LOD thing... don't know about that.

Lights get huge when you change the cfg entry WideAspect (?)=False to True. But there is a fix in the Avsim Library.

Mithras, really? I wasn't aware of this. Does this apply to Prepar3D as well and could you link me to the fix if so.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

After a system rebuild and reinstall of FSX the landing lights on incoming traffic are way too bright - not like before the crash.  Once I see the traffic, the brightness starts to occur about halfway in.  What can I do to turn it down a few notches?  In case it matters, I have Plan-G running.  I'd attach a screenshot but I don't see a way to do that on the forum.  Must I upload it to photobucket or elsewhere?

Also, I'm pretty sure that in my previous install I could spot incoming traffic much further out than 2.5 miles.  Should I expect better than that?

Best Regards, Gary

Check this out... https://fsxtimes.wordpress.com/2011/09/29/fsx-cfg-smallpartrejectradius/

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I have checked FSX Terrrain LOD... it's maxed. Didn't expect a terrain setting to be a source of trouble anyway.

In daylight incoming planes don't become visible until about 3.5 miles out.  At about 2.5 miles, they become a speck, and at 1.5 miles the landing lights are so bright it looks like the plane is in flames.  At night, I see incoming planes' strobes about 9.5 miles out, and landing lights seem reasonably normal all the way in.  I'm stumped.

I'm fine tuning the ground lights. They're looking better.

Looking for more ideas...

There is a halo.bmp you need for your Effects folder, check the link in my last post.