Sign in to follow this  
Viking01

North German Plain 1

North German Plain 1: History and Hanseatics in the Lowlands

This week we  will not see any volcanos or other exotic scenery, just the pretty flat landscape of Germany’s north. I divided the trip into two parts. Part 1 (today) will get us through the northern and eastern part, part 2 will concentrate on the middle and western part of ORBX’ new region GEN.

We start at Blankensee (EDHL), the airfield serving the city of Luebeck, well known for its Gothic Brick Architecture. We will overfly the city and turn north to visit „Holstein Switzerland“, pass the city of Ploen and turn south again to overfly parts of Hamburg, Germany’s second largest city. We follow the river Elbe eastbound to Lauenburg, turn south to the Ship Lift at Scharnebeck and then head to Lueneburg (EDHG) for our first landing.

We continue to the large German Army Airfield of Fassberg (ETHS) for our next landing. 

From here we fly towards Braunschweig (EDVE). Braunschweig is a very old city and home of the LBA, the german version of the US’ FAA. After take off we turn towards Wolfsburg to have a look at the VW plant before we head east towards Potsdam, the former Prussian Capital. We overfly the now unusable field of Brandenburg Briest, the palace of Sanssouci and land at Berlin-Tempelhof (EDDI, special permission was granted), in the heart of Berlin. 

Berlin1.jpg

After taking off we will be able to see some highlights of Berlin and head to Berlin-Brandenburg (EDDB), the new international airport for Berlin. It’s opening is delayed for over six years by now, but it hosts the Berlin airshow every two years. From here we head Schonhagen (EDAZ) for a touch and go and for today’s destination Dessau (EDAD). When approaching RWY 27 be aware of the fact, that the useable RWY begins midfield!

The route is 335nm so an aircraft capable of maintaining at least 160 kts will allow us to complete the journey before dark. I shall probably fly the A2A Comanche, but as ever you are free to fly what you like.

The package including flight plans ( PlanG and FSX) and a "Pilots' Guide" is available here.

Recommended scenery: Orbx GEN

All airports are a bit improved from the default settings, but for some of them you can find freeware at AVSIM or FLIGHTSIM. I did not install any airports for GEN.

Date and time: October 22 2016, 1800 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer: FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet! (linked here)

Note to Ron: Please set server time to 13:30 Local. In case the real Wx is not VMC, let’s have some nice clouds and winds around 10 kts.

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Even after its decline, the connection between the cities and trading

companies continued for their benefit

So there was life after 'Hansexit'?  B)

Waddya know! I actually read the tour guide. :smile:

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

Waddya know! I actually read the tour guide.

Wow, well, thank you!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

I have installed a bunch of German registered Comanche repaints and none of you buggers are going for them!

Courtesy of a bottle of Australian Merlot.

Gunter, what is VMC?

*hic*

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

For those with the GTN V6 installed, here are the user waypoints to import:

TP1,,53.86670020,10.70051193
TP2,,54.15760940,10.41915893
TP3,,53.55805358,9.99824523
TP4,,53.48518560,10.09883881
TP5,,53.37206410,10.55408478
TP51,,53.29118124,10.48722267
TP6,,53.23614668,10.43151855
TP7,,52.41812597,10.78428268
TP8,,52.40629381,13.02412033
TP9,,52.51465390,13.35027695
TP10,,52.51601194,13.37104797
TP11,,52.50577340,13.47541809

I renamed the second TP5 to TP51.

Bert

Gunter, what is VMC?

Visual Meterological Conditions, i.e. Wx good enough to fly VFR.

Is it worth to install the GTN V6? Any problems with it? As far as I understood from the forum, one will loose the worldwide database, so I'm a bit reluctant to change anything on my system.

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Is it worth to install the GTN V6? Any problems with it? As far as I understood from the forum, one will loose the worldwide database, so I'm a bit reluctant to change anything on my system.

I'm waiting to have that conversation with Bert this evening.  From what I can gather, the new version's worldwide database doesn't include airports with runways less than 4000ft, which would make it next to useless for GA flying in Europe.  If this is the case I'm not touching a thing and making sure I have multipe back-ups of the old versions!  I really hope I've misunderstood something though.

I have installed a bunch of German registered Comanche repaints and none of you buggers are going for them!

:P

I'm part way through flying my UK registered Comanche G-KSVB from Shoreham (home airfield) to our start point at Luebeck.  Left last night and I'm currently camped overnight at EDLD Schwarze Heide, a small GA field just north of the Ruhr..

I began makung copies of my current installation already. Let' s what Bert knows about this.

Camping at Schwarze Heide? Must habe been a miserable night...

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

I'm waiting to have that conversation with Bert this evening.  From what I can gather, the new version's worldwide database doesn't include airports with runways less than 4000ft, which would make it next to useless for GA flying in Europe.  If this is the case I'm not touching a thing and making sure I have multipe back-ups of the old versions!  I really hope I've misunderstood something though.

That is correct, but the earlier WW database from the V5 trainer (or sourced elsewhere) can be copied over and used.

The V5 database is called AVTN_WW_db.bin and is about 16 Meg in size.

Bert

Almost a full squadron of Comanches. That's nice. :smile:

Dont know why my Comanche kept kicking me out, darn annoying.  

I have to go anyway, help son look a new cars.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3