Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

How to see the overhead panel

I am looking for a fast method to see the overhead panel as seen in the attached screen shot.

v4yuro.jpg

Is there a keyboard shortcut to do so.

Thanks

HubertWerni

Herbert Werni

Is there a keyboard shortcut to do so.

Tap the A key three times (I think it's three). You can program a mouse macro to do it if you have the right software (most hardware comes with software that'll create mouse macros).

Then you can hit SHIFT + A to get back into the seat.

I usually just hold the spacebar down and drag my mouse to the top right of the mousepad to glance up that way.

Kyle Rodgers

I'm using EZDOK and I got 4 main views on my headswitch. When I push it up, the view pans automatically to the overhead, fast and smooth and when I puch down, the view pans back down so I can see out of the front window again.

And to still be able to pan around freely, I can click on the button at the back of the yoke, and the headswitch works as a normal pan.

Cheers!

Maarten

I usually just hold the spacebar down and drag my mouse to the top right of the mousepad to glance up that way.

This... it conforms to the kiss principle.  I've made it simpler by replacing the mouse with a trackball so my hand doesn't have to move and I only need one spot on the desk.

I found the feature in XPlane that allows 10 views to be stored and recalled with a keycommand to be very accommodating, but I still prefer the pan method if it lets me see what I'm looking for.  Turns out in the 777 and NGX, just about everything is viewable  from the Capt point of view, which is not the case for the DC-6 so the views are nice.

Dan Downs KCRP

I just press SPACE and move the mouse up. Then if i hold SPACE i can zoom in and out for better view. Perfect.

Oh how i wish X-Plane was like this...

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

This... it conforms to the kiss principle.  I've made it simpler by replacing the mouse with a trackball so my hand doesn't have to move and I only need one spot on the desk.

Yeah. I went different route and mapped the outer right button of the mouse to spacebar, which allows me to do it with just one hand, but it still has to move.

Kyle Rodgers

Additionally -- if you have a registered version of FSUIPC, there's an option to use the middle mouse button for mouse look (essentially the same thing as holding down the spacebar as described above, but one-handed without having to map the spacebar key to a mouse button (which could get messy if FSX is not the window in focus)).

This... it conforms to the kiss principle. I've made it simpler by replacing the mouse with a trackball so my hand doesn't have to move and I only need one spot on the desk.

+1

Because of this I've never understood why trackballs aren't more popular.  Go into a computer store and you see 50 different versions of a mouse and 2 or 3 trackballs.  I think they used to be more popular than they are now for some reason.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

Go into a computer store and you see 50 different versions of a mouse and 2 or 3 trackballs.

I agree... and I wasn't happy with the Kensington.  I've had one for years that is okay but when I got a second one for a new workstation it was horrible.  Obvious lack of QA.

I did some looking and found a US made trackball that is professional quality, very well made and well..., not priced cheap. Clearly Superior Technologies of El Cajon CA http://clearlysuperiortech.com/

One feature I love is the mechanically variable sensitivity, I can adjust it for normal use or fine for doing 3DSMax or ADE work. The plug here is intentional.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan, thanks for the tip.  I'll check that out.  I've been using the Logitech Marble Mouse Trackballs for ages. Pretty basic, I don't think any programability or very little.  But, they work.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

I use Aivlasoft's SimpleCam, as well as the mouse etc: about €9 I think.

Rob Jones.