Sign in to follow this  
honanhal

Why should I buy the FSL A320?

I do not fly the FSL any more and never made a list, but the important differences are you notice the real fly by wire and smooth flight in the FSL compared to Aerosoft. Also the sounds are much better and more immersive. I used to get once every few flights a crash when using direct-to in the AS even with the posted fix in their forums. The separate right and left side navigation displays is a big plus for me, I like setting one side to weather and the other to terrain and have different ranges set. I have rudder pedals and could use my joystick twist for the tiller which was pretty cool as well in the FSL.

FSL are still working on a patch for FSX, I do not think you will see the P3D version until at the earliest next month some time.

Thanks for the info. Independent L-R displays would be a nice plus. An improvement in the handling when hand flying might be an improvement too (although I have no idea if the AS implementation is accurate or not - just not very responsive). I'll have to take your word on the sound set. Always thought the AS was pretty good.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Thanks for the info. Independent L-R displays would be a nice plus. An improvement in the handling when hand flying might be an improvement too (although I have no idea if the AS implementation is accurate or not - just not very responsive). I'll have to take your word on the sound set. Always thought the AS was pretty good.

The AS sounds are pretty good. But once you get to hear the FSL, you'll not want to go back. One of the coolest things in the FSL is that while taxiing, if you are on the center line, you will hear the "bumps" from the nose wheel rolling over the taxiway lights. Stray away from the center line and the sound goes away. Same thing on the runway too I believe.

And, yes, the handling is much better in the FSL.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

In my opinion, it's a whole different ballgame when compared to Aerosoft - especially the sounds.

When using the FSLabs Airbus, you get the sense, that it's a living and breathing machine. Just hearing the plane powering up from Cold-and-Dark... nothing can beat that immersion, IMO.

• Upvote 2

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

We should not complain about pricing, yesterday i was checking Star Citizen web page.

There u can find interesting prices for ships ...

750 USD for one ship - why not ? :-)

• Upvote 1

Artur 

So essentially, if you want an NG or 777, there's really only one choice.

I know that some will viciously disagree, but you shouldn't forget the Captainsim 777. I own the PMDG 777 for FSX, but bought the CS 777 for P3D because I didn't want to pay twice for the same product. The CS 777 is certainly not as good as the PMDG, but you can follow amplified checklists almost in the same way in both planes. Sure, the CS 777 doesn't work perfectly, but when it comes to value for money, it is a serious contender.

Peter

I own the PMDG 777 for FSX, but bought the CS 777 for P3D because I didn't want to pay twice for the same product. The CS 777 is certainly not as good as the PMDG,

Confused here  you say  you didn't  want  to buy  the pmdg  777   twice  for the same  product being  a 777  than you bought  a cs  777  for  p3d  isn't  that paying  twice  for  the same  product although  not  the same developer.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I will not invest in FSL A320 because I simply decided to quit, for good, FSX and derivates as a flight simulation platform.

This being said, the last time I considered investing in FSX or P3D was when, some weeks ago, I started the decision process regarding FSL's A320.

I believe that although it exhibits the limitations imposed by the underlying simulator, at least as far as flight dynamics and overall physics modeling goes, and that unfortunately shows in every video I have watched including those mentioned above, recorded by an actual A320 driver, it does look like the most advanced simulation ever made available for FSX. It could be compared ( although I can't say based on my experience since I do not actually own it ) to Aerowinx PSX, although I really find very difficult / impossible that any airliner simulation can get even close to PSX... 

It's on a different league from the Aerosoft offer, I believe, which I did own and really liked to use in FSX, and still think includes features that make it very interesting for a simmer wishing to have an idea about real world operations of an Airbus, including a simplistic but still nicely done MCC model, without having to spend more on an add-on just for that...

IMO it's even on a different league ( in terms of complexity ) from what PMDG offers.

I think anyone on FSX or P3D, fan of tubeliners and complex, highly detailed simulations, should really have the FSL A320 on her / his virtual fleet :-)  AFAIK the only alternative seems to be the rather expensive Airlinetools A32x, but I've heard it has some problems...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

We should not complain about pricing, yesterday i was checking Star Citizen web page.

There u can find interesting prices for ships ...

750 USD for one ship - why not ? :-)

However, thats not $750 for one ship, that more like a $750 donation and get one ship as a thank you for supporting the development of SC. The SC pricetag is STILL roughly $50, and that $750 ship you can get ingame for ingame currency.

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

Months later, I haven't seen a single review that wasn't a "first day impressions" thing on a YouTube channel.

We've been contacted by quite a number of groups wanting to review the A320-X. I think, given the sheer complexity of the product, it not only takes longer to install/setup properly and learn what it has to offer - but also document those findings in a review. 

I'd anticipate reviews of the A320-X to be a little more 'in depth' than normal, perhaps why they might be taking a little more time to be published.

• Upvote 1

Andrew Wilson

sig_fslDeveloper.jpg

Following this topic with interest... I own and enjoy the Aerosoft X Extended. It brought a lot to the table. What is it that'a lacking compared to the FSL offering? Also, I don'the follow the FSL development closely - idea of when I the P3D version will come out?

I think the main difference is that in the Aerosoft Airbus almost everything you would use during a regular standard flight works and pretty reasonable too but in the FSL Airbus really everything works. I am still undecided about getting the FSL one (as soon as it is available for P3D). I do like the idea that everything works and I don't like how a lot of knobs and switches in the Aerosoft one are dead, but I simply know that in the end I would be flying the FLS Airbus just as I would fly the Aerosoft one so... would I pay THAT much money for a better sound set...? I don't know. It's great that the dynamics are more realistic but I've never flown a real Airbus and besides I really doubt if I would notice the difference with my Logitech joystick behind a PC and a 27" screen... There is a limit to realism. I also have to add I absolutely LOVE the Aerosoft checklist (for the pilot flying, I have the co-pilot disabled otherwise there is nothing left to do for me): I really think I would miss that in the FSL version. If the FLS Airbus would cost the same as the Aerosoft aircraft I would consider it some more but I doubt if I am going to like the P3D pricing... I don't think the differences are worth it to me (which is a very subjective and personal thing of course).

but I simply know that in the end I would be flying the FLS Airbus just as I would fly the Aerosoft one so... would I pay THAT much money for a better sound set...?

Jeroen,

You won't be flying the FSL A320 the same way - there is an awful lot more going on, and the aircraft/systems are less forgiving. If you mess up - there are repercussions that can cascade through the systems very quickly and develop into some quite ugly (but interesting/fun) scenarios. When the product first launched, we were seeing a lot of customers experience such scenarios as they got to grips with the aircraft (low oil temps on takeoff due to a cold-soaked aircraft, fuel imbalances and hot fuel temperatures, alpha-protections caused by miss-configured flaps). They made the initial flights for them quite exciting, I think.

To fly this thing properly, you'll need to develop the same skill set that the professionals train for - preparation, planning, quick thinking and an understanding of how the aircraft works. This, I believe, is what attracts people to the FSL A320 - it challenges the misconception that the A320 is flown with minimal intervention by the crew. In reality, the environment is one of extremely high workload, due to relatively short sector times / turn arounds and the necessity to setup and continuously monitor the automatics. Add to this the possibility that something unexpected can happen (as it can with our simulation - if a system is incorrectly configured, or a failure is generated) and it adds a whole new dimension to the experience.

It is not merely the sound set that creates an immersive experience - it is the simulation as a whole. Granted, some people prefer the idea of flying A-B in a relatively controlled and uneventful environment. But those that are looking for that extra kick of adrenaline when they fly, I've read are enjoying the FSL A320 very much.

I continue to believe that the Aerosoft A320 and the Flight Sim Labs A320 cater for two different markets - and you guys get to choose which one suits your needs best. I hope our community continues to grow, so that development groups can continue to offer more choice into the market. It means that we can all continue to do what we love doing.

• Upvote 5

Andrew Wilson

sig_fslDeveloper.jpg

Thanks for the additional info, Andrew. Let me make it clear that I didn't mean to say that the FSL Airbus only offers a better sound set.  :wink: I mainly meant to say that for me personally everything the FLS Airbus offers isn't of too much interest, apart from the improved sounds (and being able to use every knob). I agree that both products cater for two (totally) different markets and for now I feel more at home in the Aerosoft market.  :wink: It also has to do with the time I can spend on simming, I have to add. The Aerosoft offering is more suited for my more casual flying. Still, I also have to add I really love Airbusses so who knows, I might get the FLS one (for P3D) anyway. (I am old enough to know you should never say never.  :wink: ) Looking forward to the P3D prices.

Confused here  you say  you didn't  want  to buy  the pmdg  777   twice  for the same  product being  a 777  than you bought  a cs  777  for  p3d  isn't  that paying  twice  for  the same  product although  not  the same developer.

Hi Pete,

I bought the CS 777 during their Xmas sale, at about 1/10 of the price of the PMDG 777. It really was a steal at that price. Even at the regular price it is less than half of what PMDG asks for their product. 

Peter

• Upvote 1

They made the initial flights for them quite exciting,

On my first flight Andrew, I cooked the brakes :) and had to wait at the holding point until they cooled down ( Fan turned on with timer )

It has changed the way I fly, and my life will never be the same lol

What FSL have created is nothing short of brilliance  Worth every dollar spent, and look forward to the P3D version..

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

In the FSL bus, the GPWS landing flaps 3 mode works correctly, in the Aerosoft bus, after three generations of AS busses, 3 servicepacks for the current generation, and countless hotfixes, it still doesn't.   :P

Seriously, the FSL bus has a lot to offer (independant systems and displays for onside and offside, all the Airbus flight laws, that little time lag for the E/WD message, when you switch on the landing lights, reverse thrust range on hardware levers even without a registered FSUIPC etc.) and the FSL forum offers a topic on "first impressions" from many different users that mentions a lot more features.