Sign in to follow this  
cat

Any nice VFR aereas in Texas?

Hi all,Being totally lost in USA, i need som help to find a nice place to take my A36 for a VFR tour in Texas. I bought FSGenesis 38.2 mesh, believing that there would be some interresting landscapes here, but so far I've only seen flat, flat, flat or flat. Might as well fly in Denmark ;).Anyone local who could give me an Texan advice, and maybe some nice freeware scenery to compliment BEV and UT USA?Thanks!Eagle

HI Eagle!I just moved to Austin, TX a year ago so I haven't seen most of TX although I have been through a lot of it over the years. Most of it really IS flat especially from higher altitudes. I haven't been there yet, but the most scenic area is probably the Big Bend National Park area about 70-80 miles south of Alpine or Marathon. Also I have been riding my motorcycle through the Texas Hill country(west of I-35 from San Saba south past Kerrville) which is not entirely flat, but from the air probably doesn't show much. Mostly bluffs and buttes and some low rise mountains. Try the area south of Fredericksberg, Bandera and Kerrville, TX. These are great motorcycle areas, but nothing like the Rocky Mountains in NM, AZ, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID etc. CA OR, and WA are pretty rugged and scenic in certain areas as well. I'm from Colorado so I know it and the states around it pretty well. For short flights I fly in and out of Aspen, Grand Junction, Vail(Eagle), Steamboat, Gunnison, Telluride, and Durango. You've got me interested now, so I'm going to fly around these areas in TX just to see what they DO look like from the air!!Scott

Thanks Scott. I went to some of those Texan aereas, not very exciting, I must admit. Like you say, from some altitude it seems rather flat (at least for a norwegian). Then I went to Aspen, looks interresting

Guest beana51

Hi Eagle, Fly to El Paso Tex. The Rio Grand river,Ft. Bliss,Biggs AFB,mountains,tumble weed, dust storms, Elevation,Jeans, boots,big buckles,sombrero hats,jack rabbits,coyotes, rattlers,Muscalaro Apaches and Juarez Mexico!Bull fights, Booze ,signorinas, WHaaa HOO Pardner!! HOSTER LA VESTER!! :-bang VIN!PS: sorry, I get carried away,many fond memories from there! A nice quit place on the Sim,however. :-hah

Having flown from KDFW to Midland/Odessa and then driven to Carlsbad NM this past week - and back, I'd say "flat, flat, flat or flat." is a pretty accurate description.The Big Bend area, the tip of the El Paso area, the Guadalupe Moutains in Texas near Carlsbad - those are about it for Texas.This mesh in the library is really good - guadalupe_mountains_srmt30v2.zipNice but no where as dramatic as the Colorado Rockies.You want an intersting light GA flight - try Chelan to Stehekin State Airport in the state of Washington - S10 to 6S9. Then take off from Stehekin and go northwest over the Cascades to Concrete - 3W5.There are some amazing mountain flying areas in Idaho.A Maule would be a good plane to use in those areas.Now I like the way that the scenery makes the creek behind my home in the Dallas area look somewhat realistic - but most people would never notice it.

Theres really nothing in Texas. Just keep flying til you hit New mexico.

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

>Hi Eagle, Fly to El Paso Tex. The Rio Grand river,Ft.>Bliss,Biggs AFB,mountains,tumble weed, dust storms, >Elevation,Jeans, boots,big buckles,sombrero hats,jack>rabbits,coyotes, rattlers,Muscalaro Apaches and Juarez>Mexico!Bull fights, Booze ,signorinas, WHaaa HOO Pardner!! > HOSTER LA VESTER!! :-bang VIN!>PS: sorry, I get carried away,many fond memories from there! >A nice quit place on the Sim,however. :-hah Thanks everybody, this will keep me busy for a while :) Inspired by beana's tone, and with only an hour of flying before bedtime I decided to skip the serious Beech/GPS/flightplan trip, and go for a Corsair joyride instead :-cool. Took off from El Paso and found: river:yes, city:yes, mountain: hardly, looks more like speed bumps to me (last screenie).But thanks again, whenewer you want some advices for flying in Norway, let me know :).Some screenies from Texas:

Guest beana51

Hi ORN, very nice pics. Glad you went to El Paso.Yes ,the speed bumps do not have the presence of the Alps,Himalayas,or the Rockies.There are many other far more spectacular high countries.Yet ,there is a mystic about them.The Hueco,range is about 7000'MSL or so.They seemed so much higher,many years ago, during Army basic training.Double timing ,with full pack,in the heat,up to the tops .Then, I used to do it daily when introducing new trainees to the rigors of dessert warfare. But the cool Fiord's of Viking country must be wonderful. Yes ,I would like your recommendations about flying in that imposing territory. Do you have any little towns like "Ciudad Juarez"tucked away up there?You Northmen are no slouches, historically, when it comes to partying.The 200mile beer flight must be fun. Fun chatting with you. Hope you find your mountain CHEERS VIN :-beerchug

Some chat Vin, since your post I've been sleeping, and had a full days work. Unfortunately I have to work a couple of hour more this evening :(.There's a lot of very high quality Scenery for Norway, and it's free. On my old rig Norway looked even better than USA/BEV/UT USA/FS Genesis. It became that good over time, so I don't know if I'll get it as nice on the new machine, but I will try later tonight.The thing is that with this freeware installation isn't as straight forward as with Flight1-like stuff. Anyway, I'll keep you informed, and if you have FSNavigator I could send you some flightplans :).Do we have small towns tucked up here? In the western part you wouldn't believe some of the places where people have settled down. Btw what does 'slouches' mean, I have a strange feeling that it isn't only historically x:-) :-violin :-beerchug :-erks.See you :)Eagle

KELP El Paso is a beautiful airport to fly out of - up & overthose great mountains behind the city. I've driven up from El Pasoin a car over those mountainbs, just fantastic.Peter Sydney Australia

Guest beana51

Thank you Peter,thats what I was trying to make our friend ORN see.When living there, I grew to like the whole area. Even the "badlands" of New Mexico has that unique flavor.I think you may have the answer though,driving or hiking/marching, does revel its true character.However flying always gives the big picture. Hope it has not changed much.You may recall the recordings of Marty Robbins,some years ago, western singer,he really is a poet,in his tails of Ole,historic,El Paso in song. Hope your well, "CHEERS TO YA MATE" VIN :-beerchug