Sign in to follow this  
Cygnus_X1

STRANGE overall issue- erratic behavior and crashing of P3D

Hello all,

I'd like to draw your attention to an issue that has been plaguing me the past few days. I can barely describe it other than I am at a complete loss for words. To save time, here is my reddit post about this issue: 

• I'm running v3.3.5 right now. I reinstalled it not too long ago. Also just got a second monitor. Decided to do a a YYZ-YVR sector yesterday in the 777 to prepare for CTP. Glad I did, because P3D ended up doing a CTD. It was particularly strange as well- there was no error message, it just disappeared from the taskbar. I had stepped away from the flight with the window focus on Chrome on my other monitor. I came back to my screensaver. The crash seemed to occur after I woke up the computer from the screensaver and clicked P3D's window.

I decided to do another test flight, just cruising on a straight heading for a bit. I was in the air for about 30 minutes, then I fiddled with some display settings in Windows (moving primary monitor), when another crash occurred. Very strange stuff. I thought perhaps my cfg was corrupted, so I deleted it to create a fresh one.

This is where things got REALLY strange.

My next test flight, I noticed that I was able to rotate far sooner than normal, and actually lift off the runway and start a climb, albeit a shallow one. I also noticed that there was no longer wingflex. I just wanted to test how long I could stay in the air, so I engaged CMD A, LNAV/VNAV to follow the SID and left the computer for a little bit. I came back to see that the aircraft was in a very slow climb, barely making 200 knots, but with full climb thrust...nearly stalling!!! Manual flight didn't solve this, in fact it made it worse. I restarted and tried again, this time hand flying the whole thing. Same occurrence....full throttle, nose about 3 degrees below the horizon, flaps/gear up, only around 3000' AGL, and barley climbing, speed stagnant at around 200 kts. What the hell is going on?!? I tried the 737 as well- same deal. Even the default aircraft aren't behaving properly. The Majestic Q400 seems to work fine, however, but my understanding is that it uses external flight dynamics. Never seen this issue before, ever. And I have no idea how it happened. I've deleted the CFG before with no issue. It just suddenly happened.

Today I did a full uninstall of v3.3.5 and installed v3.2, as well as the 777. I did a quick test flight and all seemed fine for about an hour....then all hell broke loose. I noticed a strange sound issue where only the engine and distorted wind sounds were playing. I changed some sound settings in P3D, and then, the flight dynamics issue returned....the aircraft seemed to screech to a halt in mid-air, and the wings flexed downward to max negative Gs. The airspeed indicator was still working perfectly fine, showing the aircraft accelerating, when it clearly was stopped in mid-air. The engine sound distorted such that it kept spooling up, as if the engines were at 200% N1.

In P3D, I put the aircraft on the ground again. Same behavior- the aircraft would not move, but the airspeed indicator showed acceleration, with the strange engine sounds. This was my only flight since a FRESH install of an OLDER version. I rebooted the sim and tried again. So far, a reboot has stopped the strange behavior for now, but I have run out of time today to try and replicate it. 

In short, I'm dumbfounded. I have never in all my 10 years of simming seen anything like this. As such, I'm desperate for any help and/or attempt at explanation for the utter poltergeist of a bug I'm up against. 

Regards,

In short, I'm dumbfounded. I have never in all my 10 years of simming seen anything like this. As such, I'm desperate for any help and/or attempt at explanation for the utter poltergeist of a bug I'm up against. 

While I understand that the first thought would be to ask for help, it's always best to ask the computer what it was thinking/doing/running/etc.

Start Menu > Type "View prob" (do not complete the word or it will bring something else up, oddly enough - should be a prompt called "View Problem Reports")

Find P3D in the list and find the report from when the program died.

As always, standard PSA applies:

Uninstall/reinstall/reversion should be the absolute LAST thing on your list. In uninstalling/reinstalling (and in this case reverting), you lost a lot of time and a good bit of troubleshooting data.

Kyle Rodgers

I am reading at least three different problems.

Your method of troubleshooting seems to be analogous to shooting in the dark, stop changing things and start trying to define the problem.

Dan Downs KCRP

I am reading at least three different problems.

Your method of troubleshooting seems to be analogous to shooting in the dark, stop changing things and start trying to define the problem.

I fully admit that this post was written in haste and isn't as clear as it should be. I will take the time when I can to fix it up. That being said, I myself am struggling to define the problem as there seems to be so much going wrong.

The main issue I will focus on is the erratic flight dynamics bug, as it persists after a full reinstall. If I can replicate it again, I'll film it, and check the problem report prompt as suggested by Kyle.

Checking the event report to see what module is faulting is usually the first step is solving application errors.

Flight dynamics errors are rare and usually attributed to faulty weather injection.  Two different problems.

Hope you can get to a consistent problem that you can define.  As for videos, I would much prefer a description. We can read in moments what it takes minutes to show on a video.

Dan Downs KCRP

I've got an update,

The erratic flight dynamics behavior seems to have been caused by some sort of error in the installation of ASN, as Dan suggested. 

In terms of P3D crashing, I've isolated it to a kernelbase.dll error. 

Thanks for the input!

In terms of P3D crashing, I've isolated it to a kernelbase.dll error.

There are many causes for this, it is a low level system error.  My one experience with it was a bad video driver, and it took more than an update to fix it.  I had to uninstall with control panel, delete all files and folders, had 3 files the system wouldn't let me delete so I restarted in safe mode and got rid of them.  Only then did I reboot to a windows without an nvidia driver install one I knew to be good.  It took me about a week to get to that last step, and I haven't had the error since.  As I said, there are many different things than can cause it, regardless the video driver is one you should rule out.

Dan Downs KCRP

There are many causes for this, it is a low level system error. My one experience with it was a bad video driver,

Funny enough I came across your post on this in the LM forums. I suspect this may have been the cause. I just cleaned up some Nvidia files for an unrelated problem with another program, will report back results.

I've also seen that it could be a user profile corruption issue on W10, among other things.