Sign in to follow this  
kfd

Flying an ILS with F-100

Hi,

I cannot work out how to use the TACAN to set up for an ILS. Can anyone post a step by step guide to setting up the F100 for a full ILS approach? I would be very grateful, as I'm pulling my hair out trying to fly one!

kfd

The F-100D doesn't have ILS. Only the F-100F.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

VOR

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

It's a fake.  You can download the manual from our sales page and read how.

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

Thank you so much for the quick responses :)

I did download the original manual provided on said page, but it obviously doesn't say which of the systems actually work in P3D. The user guide basically just goes over startup and weapons employment.
I am not so proficient with NAVaids and how the 60 year old equipment can still be used today. How does the AN/ ARN-6 and AN/ARN-21 work within the realms of the simulator? Do I need TacPack for this to work or does that only concern A/A TACAN and weapons employment?

Kind Regards

edit: a more specific question: How do the four bands of the radio compass control panel tie into the simulator?

In order to use TACAN you must first find the channel which corresponds to a Flight Simulator VOR frequency. Briefly, TACAN channel consists of a 3-digit integer, followed by the letter X or Y. X channels cover all frequencies with 0 or 1 decimal places (0 to 9 kHz). Y channels cover any frequencies which end in 2 decimal places (0.5 kHz). For example frequency 116.80 translates to channel 115X and 116.85 becomes CH 115Y. 116.90 is CH 116X, and so on...

The F100 TACAN does not support 'Y' input, so you are limited to the even numbered frequencies. There's a tooltip available in the F100 VC on the TACAN digit entry dials that display the corresponding VOR frequency, which pops up if you hover over it with your mouse cursor Or, if you google 'tacan to vor conversion' you can easily locate a table with the conversions tabulated.

How do the four bands of the radio compass control panel tie into the simulator? They allow you to dial in the simulators NDB frequencies.

TacPack is not required for TACAN or Radio Compass navigation to ground stations. Use of TACAN for tanker tracking for A/A refueling is only available to TacPack users.

Hope this helps.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Thank you for the elaborate response!
I am aware of the TACAN correspondance to VOR frequencies, but I read in a different thread, that this only translates to a DME.
Link:

Is this outdated information?
I just want to make sure I can at least navigate through the sim world and not have a glorified VFR jet.
Also, as stated above, ILS doesn't work with the F100D, yet in this video an ILS landing is shown (albeit it being FSX). I am confused.

Not sure that you're getting this.. the TACAN receiver is coded to give the F100D pilot access to VORs in the sim. That thread posted by Jimmy RFR be be accurate, but not relevant to VOR to VOR or NDB navigation.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)