Sign in to follow this  
berth

AS16 requires Internet connection?

Several members of our Flight sim club in Holland recently upgraded from ASN to AS16. It works well, 'but'... it won't work offline; when we try it, it indicates it needs an Internet connection (possibly for checking licences), and after this message is stops working. Normally this isn't a problem, but offline is what we need when we give our demo's at the FSWeekend in the Aviodrome in Lelystad at the beginning of November (the museum doesn't have public Internet). We fly 6 different legs during the weekend, under guidance from (our own) ATC; our speaker explains the routes and software used (including ActiveSky) to the public.

ASN didn't have this restriction (we used it successfully in during the 2015 FSWeekend). Did we miss something, or is this really a new feature? If it is, is there a possibility to (legally of course :smile:) circumvent it for the duration of that weekend? I hope we can find a solution; would be nice for us, for the public, and also for HiFi/ActiveSky; we often see people scrambling for software after they have seen our demo's  :wink:

Regards,

Bert

We recently had an internet service provider problem and ran into the same issue.  The program closes down if there is no internet connection, so manual weather mode is not available either. It would be great if AS-16 would display a warning, then allow you to choose manual weather, but if does not. Instead it forces program termination.

Harold

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

That is exactly what we want: use historical data. The problem is that we can't enter Manual weather mode, as ActiveSky stops with its message 'need Internet connection' before we can arrange that.

Regards,

Bert

AS16 requires a live internet connection on every start, no matter whether it's configured for manual mode or not. Hifi says it's for anti-piracy.

I've kept my ASN installation in case I run into issues with my network adapter, my ISP or the servers on Hifi's side.

If you have a iPhone or other smart phone, you can use it as an access point ... the AS16 anti-piracy checking isn't likely to use much data or need much bandwidth.  Sadly with a 60+% theft rate, it's an unfortunate reality of protecting one's hard work in today's world.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the link, I'll ask specifically for Damian.

Regards,

Bert

There is no work around for this. A live online connection is required for AS16 and/or ASCA to function.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png