Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Sounds in FSX SE

I have PMDG 737NGX loaded in in FSX and FSX-SE. Both FSX and FSX-SE are on the C Drive in separate folders. My problem is with FSX_SE, ,the only sounds I get  are 1) Engine 2) engine reversers 3)wind noise when the gear is lowered and 4)other wind noises. I have no sounds from GPWS, V1, V2, etc. But in FSX I get all sounds. Any ideas. Thanx in advance for all replies. Roger Douglas.

I have PMDG 737NGX loaded in in FSX and FSX-SE. Both FSX and FSX-SE are on the C Drive in separate folders. My problem is with FSX_SE, ,the only sounds I get  are 1) Engine 2) engine reversers 3)wind noise when the gear is lowered and 4)other wind noises. I have no sounds from GPWS, V1, V2, etc. But in FSX I get all sounds. Any ideas. Thanx in advance for all replies. Roger Douglas.

Welcome to the forum. Full names - first and last - are required to be placed in your posts here.

Sounds like you have a sound device issue. Make sure you have told Windows and the sim where to send your sounds by setting a default sound device in your Windows settings, and the sim's settings.

EDIT: In my quick reading, I missed your first name on the line above. Sorry!

Kyle Rodgers

I have PMDG 737NGX loaded in in FSX and FSX-SE. Both FSX and FSX-SE are on the C Drive in separate folders. My problem is with FSX_SE, ,the only sounds I get are 1) Engine 2) engine reversers 3)wind noise when the gear is lowered and 4)other wind noises. I have no sounds from GPWS, V1, V2, etc. But in FSX I get all sounds. Any ideas. Thanx in advance for all replies. Roger Douglas.

Sounds like you have a sound device issue. Make sure you have told Windows and the sim where to send your sounds by setting a default sound device in your Windows settings, and the sim's settings.

Could this be a missing PMDGSounds.dll path in the dll.xml file for FSX Steam?  I'm not sure which PMDG addons require this dll.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thanx to both of you for quick replies. I went into the sound Icon for windows/FSX-SE and ensured both were router to my Bluetooth hearing instruments (old retired dude). I cannot find any reference to the PMDG in the FSX-se folder. I just assumed it would take PMDG info from FSX. Still no sounds in FSX-SE except for ones in orig post.

Roger Douglas

On edit: Also could not find the dll.xml file anywhere in my computer.

Could this be a missing PMDGSounds.dll path in the dll.xml file for FSX Steam?  I'm not sure which PMDG addons require this dll.

No.

Thanx to both of you for quick replies. I went into the sound Icon for windows/FSX-SE and ensured both were router to my Bluetooth hearing instruments (old retired dude). I cannot find any reference to the PMDG in the FSX-se folder. I just assumed it would take PMDG info from FSX. Still no sounds in FSX-SE except for ones in orig post.

You need to set it in the sim's settings. No references to PMDG at all (would've stated this before if it were). This isn't a PMDG issue. This is a sounds issue.

Right click the speaker icon in the system tray > Select Playback Devices

Ensure one is set as the default device (ideally, the one you want to use, or use most often).

Then...

Start FSX:SE

On the left, click Settings

On the right, click Sound

Ensure a sound device is set for each (ideally the one from above)

Kyle Rodgers

On edit: Also could not find the dll.xml file anywhere in my computer.

I suggest you follow Kyle's advice first.

Dll.xml is typically in C:\Users\[YOUR NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

The folder should be named FSX-SE since you have a dual install; otherwise it will be FSX.  FSX will also be the name of the FSX-Box folder.

DLL.xml can be edited with Notepad, but be sure to back it up first.  Since you have a working NGX in FS-Box, you can compare the PMDG entries in both dll.xml files.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Neither NGX nor 777 use the PMDGSounds.dll, I don't recall how far back that module goes.

Dan Downs KCRP

Ok, sorry to be such a hard head.

I had not right clicked the sound icon on the sys tray before, I left clicked it and saw my hearing instruments there so I thought it would be good. After I read Klye's post I right clicked on the speaker icon in the sys tray and set my hearing instruments as default. Then I again open up FSX-SE clicked on settings and sounds and verified my hearing instruments were selected for both voice and music. They were, so I opened FSX-SE, ran a short flight and again engine and wind sounds were all I got. I ran a TCAS test, the red lines appeared on the artificial horiz but no sounds. Nothing but engine and wind noise.

Should I uninstall and install FSX-SE?

Roger Douglas

Neither NGX nor 777 use the PMDGSounds.dll, I don't recall how far back that module goes.

My FSX SE is on my D drive which crashed and had to be replaced.  But C:users ... Appdata...  with the Steam dll.xml, is on C: which is OK.  So probably that dll is from the MD-11, which I haven't yet reinstalled in Steam. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Well all the sounds are set as Kyle suggested and now all my sounds are back. It was really driving me crazy for a while. Thanx Kyle and Mike777. Really appreciate your help and your putting up with my sometimes not so smart  questions.

Roger Douglas