Sign in to follow this  
Mike777

Can FMC VNAV be reset to Cruise after it has set itself to Descend?

Hi Everyone,

The topic thread asks my question.  This of course applies to mid-flight.  I tried entering a cruise altitude by paging back to cruise in VNAV on the CDU, but this doesn't change the FMC being in Descend mode.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

It will change from cruise descent to cruise but once it has switched to descent I am not aware of any way to switch back.

Was this an accidental flight mode change?  You can just leave it is descent mode at your MCP altitude until your estimated TOD.

Dan Downs KCRP

Was this an accidental flight mode change? You can just leave it is descent mode at your MCP altitude until your estimated TOD.

Dan, thanks for your answer!

Yes, and that's what I did.  I was on a NAT at FL360 flying east and I think I entered FL370 for after the NAT (in VNAV) and got an immediate step climb, which I didn't want to do being on a NAT.  So I think I entered FL360 again, probably in VNAV, but I think that's where the FMC logic switched to Descend -- something along these lines.  I could guess where the TOD was, but it was annoying to have the little path pip on the PFD showing me continually above the descent path. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I decided to mess with this. I was at FL320 and got it into descent mode. I stopped it before it really descended any. When I put FL320 in the cruise page it said INVALID ENTRY so I tried FL330 and it went back to cruise mode. Then I entered FL320 and that time it took it. 

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

I decided to mess with this. I was at FL320 and got it into descent mode. I stopped it before it really descended any. When I put FL320 in the cruise page it said INVALID ENTRY so I tried FL330 and it went back to cruise mode. Then I entered FL320 and that time it took it.

Thanks Tom, I will give this technique a try.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2