Sign in to follow this  
n99wb

Fort Smith Regional DME arc ILS RWY 25 approach.

KFSM.  How/when would you configure flaps/slats speed and gear down CRJ 700 for this approach?

From the southwest, I crossed the airport @ 2400', 180 knots and flaps 8 before the DME began.

2400' seemed, looking out the window, pretty low with all those hills.

What chart are you looking at?

Are you referring to the DME arc approach (https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1611/pdf/00631IL25.PDF) or the approach with the procedure turn (https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1611/pdf/00631HIL25.PDF)? I ask because although you mention the DME arc, you also refer to flying overhead the airfield, which doesn't really seem compatible (I confess however that I am struggling a little with the chart presentation, which is different to what I'm used to).

Either way, 2400ft seems low because it is! The MSA is 4000ft and that is the minimum altitude you should be flying until established on the procedure. After you are established on the FSM D10 arc, you can then start a descent to 3100ft, and then once established on the localizer you can descent to 2700ft and maintain that until intercepting the glideslope. Where did you get 2400ft from?

I'm not particularly familar with the CRJ but generally speaking for any procedural approach like this I would be flying a "stablised" approach -- i.e. gear down and landing flap selected at some point prior to the FAF (WIZER) and the earlier the better. 180kt is a reasonable speed to be going round the arc.

• Upvote 1

There are two arcs, one north and the other south  - both are at a mandatory 3100 feet and each has its own IAF waypoint. You can find the official FAA chart on AeroNav.

DJ

The only time you'll be at 2400 is during descent, and AFTER passing the final approach fix (WIZER) inbound (256 course)

As for config...  on a CRJ7....  under 10000ft you'd be at or below 250 KIAS (I'd stay at 250 as long as I could, probably slow to 200 on the arc, and before turning final).  At the FAF I think most airlines want a stable approach 3-5 miles from the runway so you might be at 120-140 kias and flaps full or one notch less depending on weight/wind/temp etc

That's just a rough guess I'm not a turbine pilot.

That chart is official, it's a FAA NACO chart (skyvector just has their own links)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks, Simon, DJ and Ryan.

And extra thanks for the MSA 4000'.

N99WB

If I were coming from the SW I would maintain 4,000 MSL until the I-FSM where I would track the Backcourse until Wizer.  At Wizer I would do a teardrop on the Procedure Turn side descending to 3,100 MSL IN THE P/T.  Once joining the LOC inbound I would descend to 2,700 MSL until intercepting the G/S.  I would be in the final landing configuration prior to the FAF.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

If I were coming from the SW I would maintain 4,000 MSL until the I-FSM where I would track the Backcourse until Wizer.  At Wizer I would do a teardrop on the Procedure Turn side descending to 3,100 MSL IN THE P/T.<===

blaustern,

DME Arcs are so few and far between I wanted to fly it if nothing but to test the GPS.

And, looking at the plate skelsey linked to, this is pretty complex airspace for a regional.

"Teardrop" describes perfectly what this simm jock would be doing as his plane fell out

the sky. . .

N99WB