Hi vortex

I followed your instructions despite being assured I had the most up to date driver installed by the builder - 21.21.13.7254.  I went to Nvidia site and searched - I ran their search to see which driver if any was needed and was informed that I did not have Java - strange because I have the lastest installed - having entered all my card details, I downloaded to the desktop ready to open - I then went back to Device Manager uninstalled the driver - went back to run the download but it could not find the device - so went to do a clean install in Device Managerdo clean install but the GPU had gone and the VGA was left. I have the GPU disc and when I tried to install the driver it informed there was no compatible device found.

I am surprised I can see anything - there are no drivers installed for the VGA Video Controller? What did I do wrong?

I am at a complete loss now.

Hi vortex

I followed your instructions despite being assured I had the most up to date driver installed by the builder - 21.21.13.7254.

Not quite sure where this number comes from. The latest drivers for your 1060 card are 375.70. As for Java, call me paranoid but I never install it on my systems because of the numerous security problems it's had over the years (don't confuse Java with javascript, which is useful). Google "java security problems" for more information. Even when it's been patched, more problems seem to appear shortly afterwards. You don't need Java if you manually search for the graphics drivers through the GeForce site - you only need it if you use the "Auto-detect your GPU" option.

For the graphics drivers, got to http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers and in the manual driver search box make sure that all the details are correct for your system and in the bottom box in the list (which normally says All) select Recommended/certified and start the search. Click on the most recent driver at the top of the search results list and then agree and download the driver. Run the downloaded driver file, agree to the licence and then select the Custom (Advanced) installation option. On the next screen I would untick everything except for the Graphics Driver and PhysX System Software (useful for some games). Make sure that you tick the box to Perform a clean installation - this should automatically remove any previous drivers so no need to uninstall anything. Click next and let it do its thing. If it doesn't restart your system on completion, I would manually restart it. You should then be good to go!

To check that everything has installed properly, right-click on the desktop, select NVIDIA Control Panel, click on the Help menu and System Information. Where it says Driver version: it should show the one you just installed.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi Vortex - sorry another long one.

Thanks for your continued help.  I spent most of yesterday looking through the Nvidia forums - was prompted to do so by a very late reply from the games forum @ MS where it was suggested I may wish to choose AMD and not Nvidia - perhaps I should have.

I can assure you it did not make pretty reading is some forums. I also went through all the folders titled Nvidia - could not believe how many times it was listed. In some it  had DisplayDriver-  on opening shows 375.70-WIN7 & WIN8.  Not all Event Viewer logs had been cleared but so far I could not find anything relating to a driver being installed. Lots of warnings and errors though.

The driver number 21.21.13.7254 came from Device Manager - yes I did the search in Nvidia  for a driver according to my system but it did nothing but tell me re Java - you and I are both of the same mind re Java - I only use it for one piece of software but it remains disabled all the time.

375.70 is the latest of many updates for this driver- six in all since the GPU was launched a few months ago. I searched the forums for info and found this one was 'buggy' avoid if possible - the next two have 'adware' and 'pups' apparently - the fourth one, 372.90 dated 21 Sept 2016 is fairly reliable - no wonder the forums are upset.

It did not help with login probs - password not recognised - no account recognised nor email address for any account and to top it all, two posters noted that my original post and replies suddenly disappeared. I found the same when I got logged in. This is normal for these forums.

As for the Nvidia Control Panel, I have been looking for this ever since almost day one - 'right-click on the desktop, select NVIDIA Control Panel' - no such choice in the drop-down - this was another thing I searched for yesterday. So I have no Nvidia Control Panel.

I found in one folder ControlPanelClient - there are three items here - nvcplui application, nvcpluir.dll & NvGpuUtilization application. When the first is opened I get a box saying NVIDIA Control Panel Aplication 8.1.900.0 has stopped working with the choice of 'check online', 'close programme' 'view problem details' - the problem event name is APPCRASH. In the other subfolders nothing of note.

If I select from the drop-down,'personalization' there is a link to Control Panel - but not what I expected - more for use inside Windows applications - nothing indicating anything to do with Nvidia. The other choice is screen resolution, which is a section of Control Panel.

So I am back in 'limbo' as to which way to go - could box it all up send it back for the builder to sort out.

375.70 or 372.90?????

yes I did the search in Nvidia for a driver according to my system but it did nothing but tell me re Java

Odd. I don't have Java on my system and I can successfully use the "Manual Driver Search" box on the GeForce driver site from the link in my last post. Don't use the "Automatic Driver Updates" or "Auto-Detect Your GPU". If you're still getting the Java message, try using another browser to access the GeForce site.

Have you downloaded and installed a set of NVIDIA drivers yet? If you feel that the 372.90 is a good bet, download it from the GeForce site (it comes up in the search results list for your card). I have to say that I have yet to find an official NVIDIA driver, downloaded from the GeForce, site which contains adware or pop-ups so I would tend to disregard those comments you read. You'll find that there are always people on the GeForce forums who claim every new driver is full of bugs. With regards to the NVIDIA Control Panel, you will only see it (by right-clicking on the desktop) if you have successfully installed the NVIDIA drivers.

As far as the different chipsets go, the general concensus of opinion amongst FSX users is that NVIDIA cards work better than AMD.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I would suggest you run a driver cleaner and then download the latest driver and install.... clearly something is amiss, corrupt. Start from scratch.

And no, you should not switch to AMD, whoever said that is talking nonsense.

I don't belive you need Java, but if you like, you can install it, download your driver, then uninstall Java.

So I am back in 'limbo' as to which way to go - could box it all up send it back for the builder to sort out.

Have you tried running FSX or FS9 on the new machine, it could be that FS2002 is triggering software rendering because it is calling for DX8.

Are the latest DX12 cards and drivers even compatible as far back as DX8 ?

Hi to all

I spent most of the morning onto the builder but we were unable to connect via remote control.

Having looked through the folders for WIN 7 it would appear that at least two folders and their contents are missing - not my fault - and rather than the hassle of boxing the system and sending it back I have initially agreed to do a clean install as I have an OEM disc which they supply. I will do this next weekend when I have the time.

Thank you vortex, martin and glynn for all your help - sorry to have wasted your time and the trouble. I shall save to disc all my personal files etc then reinstall.

Before doing this, I shall also get the required DVI-D cable to connect GPU with the display[which has VGA & DVI-D inputs] - DVI-D to DVI-D and an external HDD with the My Passport.

I have not tried FS9 - damaged disc - and FSX First addition is with another - but I was looking at the Steam Edition, which I believe is a full application.

So I will be back sometime - soon I hope.

I have not tried FS9 - damaged disc - and FSX First addition is with another - but I was looking at the Steam Edition, which I believe is a full application.

I used FSX Gold on my old system but opted for FSX:SE on my new build and I'm very happy with it. A big plus is that it removes any potential problems with trying to register it. It's also supposed to handle VAS better, so less OOMs if that's something you've had any problems with in the past. It's usually significantly discounted in the Steam sales (but still very reasonable at full price).

Good luck, hope all goes well. Do pop back and let us know.  :smile:

Yes, I will let you know

I used FSX Gold on my old system but opted for FSX:SE on my new build and I'm very happy with it

Good to hear - can l get it via this site though I do wonder where the versions of Steam come from, that are on offer in Amazon and the like.

Good to hear - can l get it via this site though I do wonder where the versions of Steam come from, that are on offer in Amazon and the like.

You can get it directly from Steam - http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/. You need to install the Steam client (button top of page) and create an account. Buying the Steam version from elsewhere just gets you a code that you can use on Steam to download the program.

Thanks vortex

I have the link saved in bookmarks.

I had a phone call from the builders - they are considering the situation and deciding what may be the best action.

I will update as soon as I know.

Hi to All

I am pleased to report that all problems have been resolved - no need for clean install.

I have a DVI to DVI cable - now have Nvidia Control Panel - drivers sorted - missing files were not missing, just hidden - can now use a screensaver [poor choice though].

A family member is treating me to a new joystick - could be sufficient funding for a good display as well.

FS2002 runs well even on restricted frame rate of 30 - yet to try with add-ons.

I think I can mark this thread as 'solved' - I will come back after Xmas to discuss displays - in the correct forum.

Thanks to everybody

Antioch

Great! Enjoy the sim!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |