Sign in to follow this  
tonyprent22

FSX crashes after I go to desktop then try to open it again

I had understood that you consider "clicking anything after going to windowed mode" as a "known error", from one of your previous posts.

No.  Using Alt+Tab only.  I apologize if my past comments were confusing.  Alt+Enter has always been my recommendation (if I made one).

Actually, in my case the CTDs when clicking anything outside of FSX, were completely reproducible regardless of the circumstances. In fact, I could even trigger the crash using the trike above Friday Harbor. For the rest, my settings are nothing over the top.

That is strange indeed.  Perhaps it was a permissions issue.  That must have been very upsetting getting those crashes.  

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for all the info gentleman!  I've been so busy this is the first time I'm getting to respond.  Jim, I tried various tweaks you had recommended, as well as the gentleman who mentioned making sure there were no duplicated resolution settings.  I verified the dll.xml was not duplicated.  I finally ended up deleting the FSX.cfg file to let FSX rebuild and finally I was able to click outside the window and things seemed fine.  I flew a flight no issues.  The next flight I tried, crashed again.  I'm beginning to wonder if this is something that is being written into the FSX.cfg file.  I'm going to go in and check the "Airplane casts shadows" issue next and report back.  I'm almost at the point of abandoning FSX for P3D.  I miss being able to fly freely.  I've tried just about everything mentioned in the guide, including a full uninstall and reinstall of FSX and all add ons and this is still an issue. 

I'm not certain I've listed my specs.  I'm running Intel Core i5-4690K, not overclocked at all, with a GTX 970, 16 GBs of RAM and an MSI Z97 GAMING 5 mobo.  Everything is updated and I have issues running any other games on my build.

I've tried just about everything mentioned in the guide, including a full uninstall and reinstall of FSX and all add ons and this is still an issue.

I would never recommend uninstalling/reinstalling FSX unless you reformatted and reinstalled Windows first.  As stated in the CTD Guide, the number one fix to all crashes/freezes is rebuilding the FSX.cfg by deleting, moving, or renaming it.  Experts here at AVSIM have indicated to me that just deleting the fsx.cfg and rebuilding it is on the same order as uninstalling/reinstalling FSX.  You state you did that and things went well and at least the issue with clicking outside the window was fixed (or you indicate it is fixed).  Second is moving the dll.xml over to another folder and seeing if that fixes the problem.  If it does, then there is a problem with a module or entry in the dll.xml and our guide shows you with images how to disable the modules, one by one until the culprit is found (the culprit is usually the last module installed just before the crashes started).  Duplicated resolution settings are fixed if you rebuild your fsx.cfg.  Duplicated resolution settings are required in many cases especially if you have more than one monitor.  I am totally shocked you continue to get crashes.  I mean, if you rebuilt your fsx.cfg, moved your dll.xml and exe.xml to a temporary folder, and moved your scenery.cfg to a temporary folder, you essentially have a default FSX again, ready to start anew.  If there are any problems after doing this, then you have a problem with your computer system or perhaps a bios setting.  It is all very simple to diagnose using the guide and only you can diagnose.  IMHO, no one here or any computer expert can fix your crashes based on the information provided or without being physically next to your computer.  You have to investigate and the easiest procedures begin on page 10 of the AVSIM CTD Guide.  I told you in the guide what the NTDLL.dll does and every known fix individuals have told us who have gotten this crash.  Diagnosing blindly checking the 'airplane casts shadows' is a waste of time.  Thousands of FSX users have that setting checked w/o any problems.  When you check 'airplane casts shadows' the sim simply uses more CPU/GPU/memory resources and, if you have a bad tweak or high settings anywhere, then this could trigger the crash.

ProATC-X takes up a lot of resources too and I have had a lot of ntdll.dll crashes with it (but they go away after I restart the sim).  Many times it will occur if I open up the map in ProATC-X to look at my waypoints.  I'll also zip through various spots views while doing this too and I'm essentially taking up a lot of resources.  I have no tweaks and I could lower my fsx or p3d settings and lower my display driver settings but I know what I did wrong and am careful the next time. 

Hopefully you will find the causes of your ntdll.dll crashes.  They are frustrating as I have had them hundreds of times and still get them occasionally (but now I know how to fix them when it happens and takes away my enjoyment of flight simulation).

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hey Jim,

So finally, I think I've narrowed down the issue.  I moved the dll.xml file into a temp folder as suggested and every time I fly now I can go to desktop and back with no issues.  I moved the dll.xml file back in and crash again.  I tried the suggested method of renaming files to true so that it can load one by one, but everything loads fine.  It's once I'm in the game that the crash happens.  I've renamed everything back to false.  Here is a list of the add ons.  It's very brief, I don't have much, but I hoped perhaps someone would have a suggestion on where to go from here, now that something in this is what seems to be causing my crashes:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>PMDG HUD interface</Name>
    <Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_HUD_interface.dll</Path>
    <DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>
    <DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow</Name>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>H:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery\ObjectFlow.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

If I should turn them back to true, thats fine, or if someone sees something amiss, please let me know.  Thanks to everyone here who has helped me to this point.

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>  Change this line to True
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>H:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery\ObjectFlow.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>

You need to disable ObjectFlow as shownabove.  Obviously FSX-SE does not like your version of it.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM