Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

VAS OOM at only 92336?

Uncheck all your adfon scenery in the library and take a look at the free VAS.

Did you load another theme in ASCA so the 1024 textures have been loaded into the sim.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Uncheck all your adfon scenery in the library and take a look at the free VAS.

Did you load another theme in ASCA so the 1024 textures have been loaded into the sim.

yeah i tried that.. i did reload the theme.. i had updated the post above with this :

EDIT: disabling ALL addon scenery (including ftx areas and UTX) results in a free VAS with 1024 textures + UT2 of 1.6GB (1.4-1.6 actually), so gain 550MB by turning off every single addon (and load time of 40 secs).. not a huge gain but shows the difference (paused frame rate from 32 to 50)

EDIT: disabling all addons and turning on the chicago/illinois area addons results in free VAS at 1.10.. so one of these addons is pulling it down the most, that coupled with maybe ut2 or xpoi or various dll.xml plugins 

(for illinois i have FSDT ohareX, flytampa midway (the airport in testing), uscitiesx chicago, newport chicago photo.)

So basically chicago/illinois areas enabled results in free vas of around 1.08GB while the rest is disabled.. vs enabling all of the east coast plus canada results in free vas of 1.04 (not much change from the starting point of midway at least).. with just chicago / illnois enabled, going to any other airport in a small bonanza for instance, shows 1.86GB free.

I guess what would be helpful is knowing what a good "starting" free VAS would be, either with no addons running (and maybe a default airplane).. i'm guessing its in the 2GB range, unsure? (since i have many plugins running via exe.xml and dll.xml which maybe give back 300-400MB if turned off).

That said, unsure for at least a 1-2 hour PMDG NGX flight, what one would consider a good free starting vas at an elaborate addon, flying to another elaborate addon might be?  I'm guessing a target of 1.2GB to start, hoping to end at 500MB or more.

edit: i realized i had left vector running throughout these tests.. i think its a big consumer of vas and may need to be trimmed.

UPDATE: unchecking vector entries didnt help 

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

If you can manage 1.0+ gigs after fully loaded in, doing full cockpit checks, taxi out and line up on the runway you will be good to go in almost every single situation at the destination airport.   If you are sitting on the departure runway with less than a gig you are taking your chances.   If you are under 800megs (like me) then you are almost guaranteed to OOM crash when you arrive at your destination airport.

My problem is the bleeds.   Even with 1k everything (1k settings, 1k textures for clouds, 1k texture for airports) I spawn in typically with only about 800-900megs left.. but by the time I push and start, taxi out and I am lined up I have bled down to between 500-600 megs remaining.  That is death for a fully loaded flight.

The last version of P3D I used (3.2) generally saw me above the 1 gig mark with all my add-ons running.   Typically it was about 1.2gigs free.  By the time I hit the runway of the arrival airport I would have about 500 megs remaining which is great!   That's all I ask for.   Can't seem to get it anymore out of this 3.4.9 version.    I am getting nothing but headaches and heartbreaks using the exact same add-ons I used in v3.2.     But... I am told it's my settings again and again.   It couldn't possibly be anything that was done to the code in P3D and how it now interacts with 3rd party products!  NOOooooOOO!  It's gotta be my add-ons and my settings!   Can't be anything else.    That's what they tell me anyway.  Non-sense is what I say.

I am kicking myself for having deleted my 3.2 installers when I started up simming again a month ago after taking an almost year long break.   I was like.. OOO!  New version!  Must be improved big time!    So I wiped my installer directory and eagerly downloaded 3.4.9.   Was very happy with the improvements in FPS and Smoothness.   Extremely not happy with the VAS management system.    We took two steps forward, 3 steps back.    All that fancy FPS and smoothness doesn't mean anything at the end of the day if you can't go from Point A to Point B without crashing or being forced to save your flight just prior to arriving at your destination airport and rebooting the sim.   "Use default scenery" is not an option.   I have probably close to 3 grand invested in base software and add-ons.   I'd like to be able to use them whenever I want.   I turn off what I don't need for a flight (the Tedious way as you call it).   Even still... 60% of my flights have ended in OOM disaster thus far since I started flying again.   I was doing a 90% completion rate prior.. and that's with flying from coast to coast in one session in the United States.

Here's to hoping 3.5.x makes my life a happy place in the skies again.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

If you can manage 1.0+ gigs after fully loaded in, doing full cockpit checks, taxi out and line up on the runway you will be good to go in almost every single situation at the destination airport.   If you are sitting on the departure runway with less than a gig you are taking your chances.   If you are under 800megs (like me) then you are almost guaranteed to OOM crash when you arrive at your destination airport.

My problem is the bleeds.   Even with 1k everything (1k settings, 1k textures for clouds, 1k texture for airports) I spawn in typically with only about 800-900megs left.. but by the time I push and start, taxi out and I am lined up I have bled down to between 500-600 megs remaining.  That is death for a fully loaded flight.

The last version of P3D I used (3.2) generally saw me above the 1 gig mark with all my add-ons running.   Typically it was about 1.2gigs free.  By the time I hit the runway of the arrival airport I would have about 500 megs remaining which is great!   That's all I ask for.   Can't seem to get it anymore out of this 3.4.9 version.    I am getting nothing but headaches and heartbreaks using the exact same add-ons I used in v3.2.     But... I am told it's my settings again and again.   It couldn't possibly be anything that was done to the code in P3D and how it now interacts with 3rd party products!  NOOooooOOO!  It's gotta be my add-ons and my settings!   Can't be anything else.    That's what they tell me anyway.  Non-sense is what I say.

I agree, everything i'm reading and discovering here seems to say that settings arent making much difference.

Something is clearly different with 3.4.9 in a bad vas way and its been talked about on here, i just had no idea it was quite this bad.. no desire to roll back, hoping on a hot fix i guess or the next revision.

Right now with just Eastern USA, as i mentioned, in the 737 pmdg.. after unpausing i go from 1.04gb free to 825mb with everything.. i tried setting ut2 to disabled in the exe.xml.. i ended up with LESS free VAS on paused startup, around 990MB, then 825 after unpausing.. a bit crazy there.

Lowering LOD to 4.5 from 5.5 resulted in 1.12GB paused and 895MB unpaused, so gained about 75MB i guess

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

FTX Vector is a known VAS hitter.

Only if every feature is enabled, be selective about what you enable and it's fine. certainly no worse than another vector coastline product.

i tried setting ut2 to disabled in the exe.xml.. i ended up with LESS free VAS on paused startup, around 990MB, then 825 after unpausing.. a bit crazy there.

Lowering LOD to 4.5 from 5.5 resulted in 1.12GB paused and 895MB unpaused, so gained about 75MB i guess

Same.   I run AI traffic at 75% but I cull it to 100 planes max active at any time.   My AI take up about 50 megs of VAS when done.   That's MINOR and greatly enhances the immersion at airports.    I thought my AI might be causing the bleed so I turned off traffic and disabled the Simbobject directory the AI traffic is in... NOPE.  Still bled to death.

I fly with load 4.5 when flying with Autogen and 5.5 when flying photoreal since Autogen is disabled.    It saves you a little as you noticed.   75 megs when you get tot he wire I guess isn't that little.  It can make or break your flight.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Same.   I run AI traffic at 75% but I cull it to 100 planes max active at any time.   My AI take up about 50 megs of VAS when done.   That's MINOR and greatly enhances the immersion at airports.    I thought my AI might be causing the bleed so I turned off traffic and disabled the Simbobject directory the AI traffic is in... NOPE.  Still bled to death.

I fly with load 4.5 when flying with Autogen and 5.5 when flying photoreal since Autogen is disabled.    It saves you a little as you noticed.   75 megs when you get tot he wire I guess isn't that little.  It can make or break your flight.

Yeah i think 100 seems to be the sweet spot.. only about a 4fps hit in my goggles or in 2D for UT2..

I had a saved flight with the 737 above canada just west of Toronto.. I load it up, see 1.2GB free paused then unpause just a tad above 1GB.. thinking great.

As she flies in a direct heading eastward above Toronto.. boom, right about there, 10 minutes in, OOM.

just strange that nothing get says about vas and ooms  on lm's forrum, wonder if they read these forums, surelly they must know about this s........

there is a oom vas saga topic on lm's forum, wonder if it will get deleted.

just strange that nothing get says about vas and ooms  on lm's forrum, wonder if they read these forums, surelly they must know about this s........

there is a oom vas saga topic on lm's forum, wonder if it will get deleted.

There are quite a few vas topics over there, like the optimize parts one by Rob (also here on this forum).. but changing this value wont work in my case, flyinsidefsx requires it be at its default, plus losing fps in the goggles is not really ideal.

Another test, this time same mid flight save of the 737 again, west of toronto.. I disabled the xml files.. vas at start is 1.3GB after unpausing (so i gained about 280MB by doing this).. after about 7 minutes the plane is NE of toronto and there is 368MB left, no crash yet, but this would probably be not enough to land.  by 19 minutes in.. it actually went up.. 751mb free as of this moment.

I take back what i said about vector.. at least a midflight test.. i was getting, unpaused about 1.10GB free with resetting my cameras.cfg (not sure if this helped or not, maybe 80MB) and dll/exe back on  (dll resulted in losing about 200MB vas).. after removing Vector entries (unchecking).. this 1.10GB midflight test became 1.49GB, about 400MB gained.

So now i guess i may try to tweak the vector settings, which previously in the config i had everything checked and/or look deeper into the dll.xml to see what else might be eating that 200MB, my guess is the FTX dlls.

Honestly, mid flight, at least over Canada, i dont see much change if any in screenshots between Vector off and on with UTX on in both cases.. UTX is higher in scenery than Vector.. vector was there as a supplement mainly.