Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Star Citizen... Who's playing among AVSIM ?

Way they're going, it's not going to be released as long as they can sucker people into paying hundreds of dollars for "backing it".

And when that well of seeming eternity dries up, they'll release what's there at the time, do some bugfixes for a few months, and silently close shop, taking the hundred million dollar + in profits with them.

I can only guess that that is what you would do.  Chris Roberts has produced a series of completed and well received Space SIMs in the past.

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

Wow that video was pretty sweet. Maybe we can get them to do our next flight sim lol.

• Upvote 1

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I can only guess that that is what you would do.  Chris Roberts has produced a series of completed and well received Space SIMs in the past.

It's not what I would do, it's what I see a lot with startups and crowdfunded companies.

I've been working in IT for too long I guess to not see a scam when I see one, and I've completely lost my belief in pink flying unicorns.

Chris Roberts has in the past created other games that were popular, true. But that doesn't mean a thing. He hasn't done so in a long time now,  and for all we know he's just a hired figurehead to give someone else behind the scenes a name people trust.

I trusted Frontier Developments, a company older and with a very similar track record, to deliver on their promises too to release content announced to be delivered with Elite: Dangerous Horizons. They didn't deliver. 90% of the content I paid for that was to have been delivered by now has now been postponed to next year, when you have to pay again for a "season pass".

That's a very similar system.

Other old and established companies like Electronic Arts are now releasing even critical bugfixes and content listed on the product spec sheet as part of the core product as "DLC" and charge sometimes more for it than for the core product itself.

But keep believing in flying pink unicorns if you want and give Star Citizen more of your credit card as an incentive to release content. I'm sure someone will have a very nice vacation or new car using that money.

• Upvote 1

sigfile_dva.png

Well,

thank you all for your comments.

I was actually asking because I saw it mentioned for the very first time a couple of days ago, and a Great Friend of mine is fond of the type, and I was willing to get more info to pass to  him.

I was not even aware such a tittle existed... Looks great in the youtubes, but I've seen positive and not so positive comments ( or even negative ) by some of you, so, lot's of food for his thoughts :-)

I wish we could have a flight simulator with such a degree of attention to detail .... and graphics ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Star citizen is suffering from serious feature bloat, and like others, I'm not so enamored  of having to do a new 20+GB download every time they change the number of rivets on a ship. When the game is "finished" (whatever that means) I'll give it a try once more, but in the meantime I'm having a lot of fun exploring Elite Dangerous, especially in VR.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Elite Dangerous... have read about that tittle too - must see what it is :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Just a quick heads up...

I bought Elite Dangerous and wish I didn't. It's very console design driven and the constant loading interruptions become annoying fast.

Instead I now consistently play Evochron Legacy when I want a space sim fix. Seemless flight from space to planet and instant loading when traveling. There is a free demo btw.

There was yet another one, whose name I no longer recall - Kerbal ???? - who some users said was very good ...

Main Simulation Rig:

constant loading interruptions

Not sure what you mean. I did a web search and anything I found about loading interruptions was due to driver issues or corrupted files....

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

There was yet another one, whose name I no longer recall - Kerbal ???? - who some users said was very good ...

Kerbal Space Program is very good, but in a completely different sort of way. It essentially puts you in charge of a space program where you build the equipment from the ground up. I've had fun playing with it over the years, and there's sure some neat youtube videos floating around.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

That's the one Jim, Thanks!  Meanwhile a simple Google search resulted in me exploring a few youtubes of that one too...  Graphically still very good.

Main Simulation Rig:

I have taken up Elite Dangerous again - and bought the Season Pass (Horizons). I was a beta backer, and dropped the game, since I found it tiresome and boring without content. It was too hard to get anywhere... 

After 1½ years I took it up again - and the changes they've made in the meantime, was very good IMO. The mission systems and expansion of new items, new space stations and planets etc, makes the universe way more interesting... That being said, there's still huge room for improvements. But looking forward I'm confident they'll deliver that - and if it's a new Season Pass - then so be it... walking around ships (and outside), atmospheric planet landings, cities and so on.

Regarding Star Citizen - I have a hard time figuring out where the game is and what the status is. They've promised SO much during streams and blogs, newsletters - and I can't really shake the feeling, that they want to much in the game, that they'll end up developing it indefinitely. So far, they've promised that the single player missions; Squadron 42 was due to release in spring 2016 (that was an announcement about a year ago). Now they're saying, that it will arrive sometime - most probably - spring 2017. Deja-vu! Same message as last year...

I have given up hoping for then it's released. When they release the single-player campaign - I'll try it, and make a judgement. I does look very impressive, though...   

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Elite Dangerous is a blast. No idea at what stage of the game you would get 'constant loading interruptions'.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Elite Dangerous added to my list for "FO" :-)  Poor FO, who no one knows about around here at AVSIM...

Ah, and NO it's no dirty acronym !!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Elite Dangerous is a blast. No idea at what stage of the game you would get 'constant loading interruptions'.

Anytime you travel somewhere Elite loads; loads the planet, loads the star system, loads the area. The game is constantly broken up into play areas in between loading.

Evochron Legacy handles this much more seamlessly. There still is loading but it is less than a second.