Sign in to follow this  
CyberMike

Update GTX770 to 1070

Hi

should I bother to upgrade from a Asus GTX770 2GB to a GTX1070 8GB? What fps improvements could I expect for XP11?

Thanks and regards

Hi

should I bother to upgrade from a Asus GTX770 2GB to a GTX1070 8GB? What fps improvements could I expect for XP11?

Thanks and regards

Depends, what is your full system?

well what is your cpu ?  In genereal improvements with gpu only happen if there is enough room left from the cpu.  One or the other is the bottleneck.  If you GPU is bottleneck then you can easily expect kow double digit improvements. If the cpu is the bottleneck then you will only experience improvements in gpu heavy situations (bad weather etc)

Apart from that the increased VRAM is handy if you use orthos extensively.

My CPU is:

Intel® Core™ i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz × 8

I probably also update from 16GB Ram to 32GB?

Thanks

My CPU is:

Intel® Core™ i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz × 8

I probably also update from 16GB Ram to 32GB?

Thanks

RAM is fine though you can update if you want. Getting a 1070 will allow you to carnk up settings that mainly affect the GPU and not really affect your FPS in any way. These include AA and HDR effects. The 4770K is a good CPU and I highly recommend you OC as high as it will go if you haven't already. Going from a 770 to a 1070 will allow you to really crank up the visuals, texture resolution being the main one.

If you use orthos you can run them at the highest texture settings and not get stutters. 

I checked a comparision of the GTX 1060 and GTX 1070, and the 1070 can handle reflections much much better: 

I am on a small budget, and was thinking about the GTX 1060, but after reading this: 

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/3609vs3639

With PBR around the corner, I think the GTX 1070  is the bare minimum to aim at.

Now I need to convince the wife ... .

As said above, x-plane framerates are limited by the lowest performer, be it the CPU or the GPU. 

By upgrading the GPU, we can at least get better visuals (and run out of RAM lol ). 

I checked a comparision of the GTX 1060 and GTX 1070, and the 1070 can handle reflections much much better: 

I am on a small budget, and was thinking about the GTX 1060, but after reading this: 

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/3609vs3639

With PBR around the corner, I think the GTX 1070  is the bare minimum to aim at.

Now I need to convince the wife ... .

As said above, x-plane framerates are limited by the lowest performer, be it the CPU or the GPU. 

By upgrading the GPU, we can at least get better visuals (and run out of RAM lol ). 

I'd not upgrade untile Xp11 is out and some feedbacks about performance of new feutures are given.

AT least this is my approach with a GTX770 4GB, I'm aiming for the 1070 or 1080 but first I wnat to have a clear picture.

I went from an r9 290 to a 1070 and that was definitely worth it - can now run in 4K with high settings and never really dip below 35-40 fps in most places. I do have g-sync though. I can't remember if the 290 is closer to a 770 or a 970 but either way it's only worth the jump if you can justify what is basically the cost of a home console to get a frame rate boost/ resolution bump.

• Upvote 1

I went from an r9 290 to a 1070 and that was definitely worth it - can now run in 4K with high settings and never really dip below 35-40 fps in most places. I do have g-sync though. I can't remember if the 290 is closer to a 770 or a 970 but either way it's only worth the jump if you can justify what is basically the cost of a home console to get a frame rate boost/ resolution bump.

It's closer to a 970 IIRC.

You can have more than a single monitor and use the P3D in Surround without loss of FPS.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I took the plunge, ordered myself a GTX 1070, but my power supply has no 8 pins PCI plug, only 2 6 pins. I need an adapter or a new power supply first  :fool: .

My power supply can provide 650W, this should be enough, but then again, the thing is around 10 years old. 

I took the plunge, ordered myself a GTX 1070, but my power supply has no 8 pins PCI plug, only 2 6 pins. I need an adapter or a new power supply first  :fool: .

My power supply can provide 650W, this should be enough, but then again, the thing is around 10 years old. 

Get a a new PSU, 10 years is really pushing it.