Sign in to follow this  
loop_n_roll

Unstable in flight

I posted this in the Carenado forum a few days ago without a response. Reposting here.

I've had the Carenado C90B King Air for several months now. I can't keep it stable in flight. Once trimmed for reasonably level flight taking attention off the controls to tune a radio results in a climb or dive. Once stable, a turn will result in the same thing.  I'm convinced if real flight were this difficult no one would ever attempt it. I have the CH Eclipse Yoke. I would welcome any suggestions.

•  

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

maybe a weather issue, but to be honest, one of the demonstrations i gave my students was regarding 'seat of the pants' flying was to get them to trim it, close their eyes and ask them to keep it straight and level, a few seconds later we were normally in a 45+ degree AOB descending turn, they still thought they were s&l. its harder in the sim because in RL its easier to change settings etc while still keeping an eye on the flightpath of the aircraft. still, not the easiest thing for new pilots.

Basically, take your eyes off the ball and it will roll away from you, potentially quite quickly.

once you get a deviation from s&l, climbing descending or turning, it will only get worse if not corrected.

Hey Loop,

Try This, For the sake of Sanity !

[REALISM]

AutoTrim=True

Found in Your AppData\Microsoft\FSX or FSX SE\FSX( SE).Cfg Folder/File

After You Get Your A/C Trimmed and Flying Straight and Level, This Will Keep it There !

Johnman  B)

Hey James,

A Lot of the Airplanes I Fly Do Not have an Autopilot. So I Choose to make Use of a Programmable Option, Contained Within the Software that Helps in a Solution to the Problem I Seek Help With, and adds to the Enjoyment I Find, using the Software. Having FUN !! - Johnman

The auto trim setting seems to have helped considerably. Thanks for the tip. 

James, I use the auto pilot for trips; however, I was looking for something to use when the auto pilot isn't usable like short flights or in the pattern, landing, takeoff, etc. Thanks to both of you for the replies.

The auto trim setting certainly makes the plane stable when manually flying. However, I've found it sorta locks in the altitude for the auto pilot. Was very difficult to get the descent started after canceling AP and reducing power. Any additional tips? Thanks.

You can also mod the aircraft.cfg. See the stability related parameters in this list:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526949.aspx#mozTocId717787

What's the common verdict on the C90's flight dynamics?

If the FDE is close to the real thing, you may want to work on your piloting skills instead of modding it. If the workload gets too much, it's absolutely no shame to pause the sim and do some switch work.

With an already less than realistic FDE, mod away.

If the altitude hold doesn't seem to disengage properly, try disengaging it before disengaging the remaining autopilot functions.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days