Sign in to follow this  
Bob_Z

Scenery Config Error

When stating FSX I get an error message saying " SCENERY .CFG file error. Invalid remote scenery path in Area .001. Click OK to continue."

Area .001 is FS9 World Scenery.  I'm not sure if there is a path to that scenery.  Usually deleting the offending area and reinstalling it solves such a problem, but I don't want to delete what appears to be a basic FSX file.  Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Zolto

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Area.001 should be shown in your scenery.cfg as Area.001 (without the space between Area and .001 as you posted above).  Area.001 is right below the [General] Parameter (for FS9) and is entitled "Default Terrain" located at Scenery/World as shown below:

[Area.001]
Title=Default Terrain
Local=Scenery\World
Texture_ID=1
Layer=1
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The top of my cfg looks like this:

[General]
Title=
Description=
Clean_on_Exit=TRUE
Layer=000

[Area.001]
Title=FS9 World Scenery
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=001

[Area.002]
Title=Default Terrain
Local=Scenery\World
Texture_ID=1
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE
Layer=002

This isn't the way you described it, so there i something wrong.   Also, half of the entries in the file had wrong paths that I had to correct by hand, although I didn't change any area numbers.

Bob Zolto

This isn't the way you described it, so there i something wrong. Also, half of the entries in the file had wrong paths that I had to correct by hand, although I didn't change any area numbers.

You have a mess there for sure!!

This is the way it should be in your scenery.cfg:

[General]
Title=FS9 World Scenery
Description=FS9 Scenery Data
Clean_on_Exit=TRUE

[Area.001]
Title=Default Terrain
Local=Scenery\World
Texture_ID=1
Layer=1
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE

[Area.002]
Title=Default Scenery
Local=Scenery\BASE
Layer=2
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE

Another thing you can do is delete or rename your scenery.cfg and it will be rebuilt (that is if you didn't mess with the copy located in the same folder as your fsx.cfg).

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Rebuild it how? In older versions, the sim would rebuild it.  FSX doesn't do that.

Bob Zolto

Found it, but all I got was a runtime error.  How long ago did you use it?

Other links to it say it requires a certain .dll file that is not on my machine.

Bob Zolto

Rebuild it how? In older versions, the sim would rebuild it.  FSX doesn't do that.

Sorry.  I do not own FSX-SE.  Didn't realize they had removed the ability to rebuild your scenery.cfg.  Looks like you will have to uninstall FSX-SE and then reinstall if that's the case.

Submit News to AVSIM

The top of my cfg looks like this:

[General]

Title=

Description=

Clean_on_Exit=TRUE

Layer=000

[Area.001]

Title=FS9 World Scenery

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

Layer=001

[Area.002]

Title=Default Terrain

Local=Scenery\World

Texture_ID=1

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

Layer=002

This isn't the way you described it, so there i something wrong.   Also, half of the entries in the file had wrong paths that I had to correct by hand, although I didn't change any area numbers.

Area.001 has no path, add that and you should be OK.

In your root FSX:SE folder should be a copy of the scenery.cfg.

You could copy that file and place it in the working scenery.cfg folder, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE or C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX if the first folder does not exist.

This will require you to add all of your addon scenery back into the Scenery Library.

You could also have Steam verify file integrity, can't remember the exact procedure now It should be easy to figure out in the Steam client.

regards,

Joe

• Upvote 1

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Found it, but all I got was a runtime error.  How long ago did you use it?

Other links to it say it requires a certain .dll file that is not on my machine.

You have to place the FSTscenery tool in the same directory as the working scenery.cfg (in program data) and run from there.

Dave Skuback - KBLM

'Cause down the shore everything's all right