Sign in to follow this  
JLuis

When P3D moves to 64-bit any simulator will not survive.

Hi! Folks,

I would like to know your opinions about the P3D 64bits.

IMHO I think that when Lockheed Martin moves P3D to 64 bits, any simulator will not survive, because today the main issue in P3D is OOM.

With 64 bits this issue will be solve. Today I have P3D v3.4, FSX-SE and X-Plane 10 and I admit always tried use all simulators but when the day came to the end I am using to P3D v3.4 in the most of the time.

hqdefault.jpg

Lets I know your opinions about this matter...

Thanks

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

If OOM is a concern for you then you would do a lot better running P3D 3.2 rather than 3.4 which has some real issues with VAS

There is more to sims than 64 bit. I don't think P3D becoming 64 bit will be the end for others sims. XP11 is going to be very interesting and current XP users will certainly not drop it just because of P3D being 64 bit. And maybe (but just maybe) the DTG sim will surprise us (although I am not counting on that). But other than that, when P3D is 64 bit there still will be certain problems, limitations, etc. that maybe XP doesn't have. Or DTG. In short: I disagree fully with what you are saying. 64 bit isn't the holy grail as some seem to think it is.

IMHO I think that when Lockheed Martin moves P3D to 64 bits, any simulator will not survive, because today the main issue in P3D is OOM.

HAHAHAHAA

Are you aware that Nike & Adidas exist, Ford & Chevrolet and i could go forever? People have just different opinions, priorities, tastes when evaluating products.

if you are happy to P3D just stick with it. No need to start the 99999999999999787 war P3D vs XPLANE vs XXX  :Tounge:

• Upvote 11

Manuel Merelles

I don't have issues with OOM's in any sim, thus it doesn't become part of my decision making process.

I tend to fly X-Plane more frequently because it plays nicer with my custom hardware; I also prefer the scenery in the regions I fly in - good OSM coverage, and no baked in roads. In addition, I vastly prefer X-Plane for flying helicopters.

However, I also fire up P3D occasionally because I also like flying military aircraft, of which I have a (much) larger selection of in FSX/P3D. (Since a 64bit version of P3D will likely result in compatibility issues with my existing fleet, I'll likely never upgrade to it.)

Each platform has it's pros and cons, and it's very worthwhile to be spread out a bit. :smile:

• Upvote 4

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Has LM even mentioned  64bit version of P3D or these threads are all just rumors? 

• Upvote 2

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

has anyone got a date for a 64bit version of P3d,if LM release a 64bit version more like ,I can not recall seeing any statements from LM confirming a 64bit sim,in my simple mind I fail to see why after 5yrs of working on P3d LM are still working on a 32bit application, yet after just  a yr in the flight sim game DTG are working on there first sim which will be 64bit,maybe 32bits is all LM real world customers need and we are chasing a dream

Peter

• Upvote 1

has anyone got a date for a 64bit version of P3d,if LM release a 64bit version more like ,I can not recall seeing any statements from LM confirming a 64bit sim,in my simple mind I fail to see why after 5yrs of working on P3d LM are still working on a 32bit application, yet after just  a yr in the flight sim game DTG are working on there first sim which will be 64bit,maybe 32bits is all LM real world customers need and we are chasing a dream

Peter

February 30, 2017 . 

• Upvote 5

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

If OOM is a concern for you then you would do a lot better running P3D 3.2 rather than 3.4 which has some real issues with VAS

Thanks for tip. I was thinking back to 3.3.  :smile:

HAHAHAHAA

Are you aware that Nike & Adidas exist, Ford & Chevrolet and i could go forever? People have just different opinions, priorities, tastes when evaluating products.

if you are happy to P3D just stick with it. No need to start the 99999999999999787 war P3D vs XPLANE vs XXX  :Tounge:

Nice point of view... lets keep Peace between sims. :hi:

Each platform has it's pros and cons, and it's very worthwhile to be spread out a bit. :smile:

I agree with you. :wink:

Has LM even mentioned  64bit version of P3D or these threads are all just rumors? 

Only speculation, but I have a gut feeling that LM will announcement 64 bits platform in 2017.

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

has anyone got a date for a 64bit version of P3d,if LM release a 64bit version more like ,I can not recall seeing any statements from LM confirming a 64bit sim,in my simple mind I fail to see why after 5yrs of working on P3d LM are still working on a 32bit application, yet after just a yr in the flight sim game DTG are working on there first sim which will be 64bit,maybe 32bits is all LM real world customers need and we are chasing a dream

Peter

To me it looks like DTG just took the plunge and recompiled the 32bit FSX to 64bit. Then they fixed what got obviously broken and what could be done in a reasonably short time frame - and left out those features that would have required a massive amount of rework. The result was DTG Flight School, as a proof of concept that it can be done and to probe customer interest probably. From their public announcements it seems that their "full" simulator is the same platform, but where "the rest" got fixed (or at least those features are refactored that people requested as essential).

You are probably right that the VAS limits are more of an academic problem. The professional customers for P3D are IMHO not even using the high-VAS addons at all - and they won't limit P3D to it's flight sim functionality either. For example I find it highly unlikely that an airline would build a flight traning sim based on P3D and the PMDG airliners - because both platform and addons aren't certified. So what would be the professional application for the airliner addons? Maybe a procedures or systems trainer - but for that I don't think that you need scenery or complex weather. And an ER unit that uses P3D to train their paramedics or fire fighters in ground scenarios would probably not come anywhere near the 32 bit VAS limit. Due to the quirkiness of the AI logic I don't think that any professional customer would use that feature either.

Maybe P3D development isn't even a full capacity gig. It would depend on the development budget that got assigned to it, how many developers are working on it and/or if they are doing it full time. It is not unusal that engineers are assigned to multiple projects at the same time if those have low development budgets. As a result they basically can't implement major changes, or if they do, those changes will take a very long time to be completed.

• Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

It's not the # of "bits" in the compiler model that makes up a flightsim...

That's why I am on the Combat side playing air wars most of the time these days... when I want realism in terms of flight dynamics... That does make a flight sim...

For tubeliners, ok, we may still be forced to use FSX, P3D o X-Plane, unless it's a Boeing 744 we're willing to simulate, in which case there is simply no option other than Aerowinx PSX...

LM P3D should become 64 bit, as well as DTG's sim, but if that's only that... plus the graphics sugar and the better VM management and use of modern 3d controllers, then, it's more of the same in as far as "flight simulation" goes from the purely flight dynamics and systems modelling pov...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

February 30, 2017 . 

The Apocalypse Date  :Devil:

José Luís

I think the next properly big change will be in 2 or 3 iterations of x-plane, personally. They seem to have finally started to move towards a more 'commercial' offering and as soon as it starts having decent ATC and weather out of the box, amongst other things, it will make the fsx-legacy applications very uncompelling. The basic engine is so much better than anything else there is at the moment and you can see with 11 that they're starting to add some properly modern gfx tech into the sim.

I hope there will be a new player on the scene (I really don't think the new dovetail game will be it, given it seems to be yet another fsx derivative) that makes the whole experience a bit more compelling for people who don't get bored after a while flying for pretend airlines in their head, or pissing about with .cfg files to get 3 more fps. It won't happen until flight simulation moves away from only really appealing to geeky middle age men with too much time and money on their hands (pretty much like me!) though.

Anyway that was a bit of a stream of consciousness - in conclusion I think that a 64bit version of p3d will make almost no difference to 90% of the people who use it, so no.

• Upvote 1

I am wondering what values FSUIPC or process explorer are going to display in regard of VAS on P3D 64 bit (when adapted to the new platform)? We are talking about high potencies.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR