Sign in to follow this  
JLuis

When P3D moves to 64-bit any simulator will not survive.

I have read that the DTG 64 bit sim will be released on the 18th dec 2016,so who will try it out and will LM loose there army of free beta testers?,lets face as far as I understand we will need to repurchase all our add ons,so with DTG being fist out of the trap why stick with P3d?

Peter

I have read that the DTG 64 bit sim will be released on the 18th dec 2016,so who will try it out and will LM loose there army of free beta testers?,lets face as far as I understand we will need to repurchase all our add ons,so with DTG being fist out of the trap why stick with P3d?

Peter

Why? If you are not suffering OOMs, there is no reason to change.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Really, i don't get it what the use(less) of the if, when, why, what 64bit prepar3d threads should be for anyone of us.

Only thing we can do is to wait what LM will do.

Just my 2cents...

• Upvote 1

Carsten U

Why? If you are not suffering OOMs, there is no reason to change.

Never had a OOM in PR3D but none the less I changed to XP10 which is now my only sim.

I just came along some old videos with an other 'sim' (GTA5), I never heard of it. The environment is just great and even ORBX cannot compete with it. Hope we will see this realism also in future developments:

Flight Simulator (Realistic Flying Tips in GTA V)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CainaICVJP8#t=8m54s

Flight Emergency Procedures (+ Real Life Examples)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZzp9irhVx8#t=5m47s

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Simmers will just cram more addons to the point there will be OOM's again.  But first they'll complain they have to purchase new versions of addons to work in 64bit!

Ah, the cycle of life continues... :wink:

• Upvote 2

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I just came along some old videos with an other 'sim' (GTA5), I never heard of it. The environment is just great and even ORBX cannot compete with it. Hope we will see this realism also in future developments:

Flight Simulator (Realistic Flying Tips in GTA V)

Flight Emergency Procedures (+ Real Life Examples)

If you're purely a flight sim enthusiast and not a 'gamer', it's very likely you've never heard of Grand Theft Auto V. True, it does looks nice, but that's mainly the result of having a relatively small area to work with. (Well, it's large on foot or in a car, but not really while in air.)  However, it's flight capabilities is pretty arcade like, which matches perfectly to what GTA is. It's really not intended to be any sort of a simulator. The flight ability reminds me largely of Arma 3 (I've linked the newest Arma expansion, because it's arguably the nicest looking and has a small GA plane to fly). Looks really nice, and you can 'fly' aircraft, but it's pretty casual... except for the bits where you get shot at.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Peter

Anyone that has used DTG products like their Trainsim, which I have for a couple of years, will know that DTG's flight sim is going to be a shock for people that have a smooth running P3d or FSX presently. Getting used to bugs will be something that you will experience from the day one, and many of these bugs will never be fixed. So you just suck it up and move on. Will be very interesting to see how the people on this forum who have long discussions on the brightness of a landing light, or the look of the water surface,  deal with major bugs right out of the chute.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Guys, you are really looking for the Holy Grail. (No such thing, of course!)

So, we have no idea what Dovetail's product will be like, None whatsoever!

We know, of course, that we cannot compare Dovetail with Lockheed Martin, who's target market is Training & their professional market, as campared to DTG's simmer/gaming market.

It is not a race between the two, as to who has the better sim. LM's priority is obviously their own market, & going 64bit is not such a priority as compared to the others, but yes, LM will eventually have a 64bit sim. There are developers working on professional add-ons for that.

As for X-Plane, different market again.

:hi: 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

We know, of course, that we cannot compare Dovetail with Lockheed Martin, who's target market is Training & their professional market, as campared to DTG's simmer/gaming market.

It is not a race between the two, as to who has the better sim. LM's priority is obviously their own market, & going 64bit is not such a priority as compared to the others, but yes, LM will eventually have a 64bit sim. There are developers working on professional add-ons for that.

Reading lot of posts I don't have the impression of three different markets, just one: the flight simmer. Among them of course there some niche users but the mass is what does count for numbers and revenues. Otherwise there would be no reason for LR to anticipate Dovetail which in turn is trying to anticipate LM in the 64bit run.

At some point PMDG will make XP versions of it's 777 and 737.  XP10 and XP11 are 64-bit.  I'm just waiting for a realistic commercial jetliner.   The current offering are commendable, but not close to PMDG standards.  If P3D does go 63-bit, that's good for competition, and we need to see what DTG offer with its coming simulator.   Now how long would it take add-on developers to update their products to 64-but if P3D does become 64-nit?

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

it does looks nice, but that's mainly the result of having a relatively small area to work with.

Correct. I don't know why people keep pointing to games like GTA,  as it would never be able to work the same if it tried to simulate the entire earth.  It's like comparing a potted plant to the Amazon rain forest ecosystem.

Now how long would it take add-on developers to update their products to 64-but if P3D does become 64-nit?

It really depends on how faithful DTG and LM are to the standard ESP file formals such as MDL, AIR, BGL, etc.. Further, texture files will probably continue as DDS.  I don't see why either company would tinker with those file formats, except to extend them in a fashion, while still maintaining  backwards compatibility. At one point I thought that it would be a good idea to replace the scenery BGL files with ArcGIS SHP files, as the SHP format is the industry standard for geographic data. But having watched LM over the past few years and more recently DTG with its test public offering, Flight School, I am convinced that the standard file formats will be alive and well in any future 64 bit versions of ESP.

So that leaves addons that either use SimConnect, a DLL or just somehow probe into the inner workings of the sim in some nonstandard fashion. I don't think that any of these options pose a serious barrier to 64 bit conversion. Look for example, at the recent XP compatible version of the Garmin GTN 750 unit. All that was needed was an interface written in 64 bits between the 32 bit Garmin EXE file and XP10 64 bit. The conversion to 64 bit is vastly overblown as an issue.

• Upvote 1

I think that while there's professional markets that both P3D and X-Plane feature in, there really is only one market over here in 'whee, I'm flying a digital plane for fun' land.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

The big bummer, and why the 64 bit address space seems to be the panacea: the ESP engine is badly designed!  If you save a flight moments before it hits an OOM and then load that flight, it does not OOM right away...why not?  All those once used by now unused portions of your flight have been jettisoned from the reloaded sim.

If ESP was well designed, its would manage its allocated memory blocks, and dismiss blocks that are no longer in use so they could be reused (a common practice in well written software).  Seems to me that the ESP design must be so FUBAR that even LM can't undo this design defect, as in to know which blocks are no longer in use and recycle them.  Really, the only thing that 64 bit address space solves for ESP is it to provide a much deeper waste bin to toss these unused blocks into...but hey, that works...right?

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Reading lot of posts I don't have the impression of three different markets, just one: the flight simmer. Among them of course there some niche users but the mass is what does count for numbers and revenues. Otherwise there would be no reason for LR to anticipate Dovetail which in turn is trying to anticipate LM in the 64bit run.

LR is not "anticipating" anyone... XP 10 which has been around for a long time, already is 64 bit for quite a while...