Sign in to follow this  
Cat_Dad

How Small is the 4K TV/Monitor Print

I would like to move up from my small 27" LG monitor (1920 x 1080) to a 50" 4K TV.

My question is how small is the text on FSX and X-Plane 10 on the lager 50" 4K screen? In FSX I can see the text better than in X-Plane 10. On my current screen I need to use a magnifying glass to read the text. (blind in one eye and not much better in the other.)

I do not want to end up with nice large image and having to stick my nose on the screen to read the dials.

Terry

The text when using 4K is pretty small - but actually I don't have a problem in the sim itself, as I can zoom the VC to suit - and because there's so many pixels, even with a zoom it looks fine. But the taskbar, top menus, and drop down menus can be pretty small, plus any non sim/operating system stuff, folders etc.

I get around it by having a second monitor attached (I've always used a second monitor anyway for ancillary stuff), and display the desktop on that, then any small drop down menus from the sim screen can be dragged to the other screen for easier reading.

I can just about read stuff like menus on my 4K screen (50 inch) but it's right on my limit, and I have normal eyesight. For example - if you display a framerate or VAS monitor top left, those can't be dragged to the other monitor -  I can read it - just - without moving closer.

But to re-iterate - there's no problem with the virtual cockpit, that can be sized to suit, and is perfectly readable without a massive zoom so no worries about having to zoom so high the outside views disappears.

Your old LG would be ideal as a second monitor, if you have the space, especially as you might be able to position right next to you - closer probably than now, so easier to read?

Eugene

I would like to move up from my small 27" LG monitor (1920 x 1080) to a 50" 4K TV.

My question is how small is the text on FSX and X-Plane 10 on the lager 50" 4K screen? In FSX I can see the text better than in X-Plane 10. On my current screen I need to use a magnifying glass to read the text. (blind in one eye and not much better in the other.)

I do not want to end up with nice large image and having to stick my nose on the screen to read the dials.

Terry

I upgraded  to 4K 6 months ago.  At first I got a 28" Dell 4K monitor and I couldn't read the menu in P3D or XP10. So I returned it a few weeks later and got a Vizio D50U-D1 50" 4K TV and couldn't be happier. Text is much easier to read on the 50" TV. 

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Eugene and Pete,

Thank you for your input and advice. I did not know you could pull drop down menus from a full screen image.

I see where Walmart has 50" vizio for under $500 but do not know if they are the same model you have. Any problem hooking it up to your computer? I have a GTX 980 that should be able to do the 4K .

Terry

I did not know you could pull drop down menus from a full screen image.

Terry, just to be clear - it's not the actual dropdown menu you can move, it's the box that comes up when you choose an option like "World" then "Maps", "Options" then "Controls", the new box created can be moved. If it's a pure dropdown like the "Views" menu, which only lets you choose an option - that can't be moved directly - but of course if you go and click the re-size option in FSX, the one next to the full size click point top right hand corner, FSX will re-size to a size that can then be dragged to the 2nd monitor which could be right next to you with a large screen resolution so everything is easily readable.

It would interrupt the flow of things, but is doable.

Eugene

I have a GTX 980 that should be able to do the 4K .

I run a GTX 980 Ti - runs 4K fine for me

Eugene

Sounds very confusing to me. 

If the instrument panel stays the same aspect ratio, it should be bigger and fill up the larger screen, yes?

Terry

it should be bigger and fill up the larger screen, yes?

Yes - it will be much bigger on a 50K screen than your 27 inch screen.

Eugene