Sign in to follow this  
MAHLER

Active Sky 2016 full version

I have been using ASN, Rex Essentials plus and soft clouds in P3D v3.1, for a considerable time ,quite happily, but, I would appreciate comments on the new Hi Fi  software.

Is it really a game changer?.

IMO it is. AS16+ASCA is the most realistic weather I've ever been using. Automated weather dependant texture changes on fly is really cute. Though, there are others who prefer REX SC together with AS16. Do a search in this forum, you'll find many discussions about it.

• Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

The combination of AS16 and ASCA is indeed a game changer but that doesn't mean you will like it. I don't. I reinstalled my computer a short while ago and happily left ASCA out of the reinstall cycle. I liked my HDE clouds more and I sometimes absolutely hated the presented sky colors. AS16 on its own (combined with whatever texture addon you'd like to use) is good although the differences with ASN may be a bit hard to tell unless you look closely. Yes, the changes in the UI are obvious but not of any importance (imho). The skies look more overcast in certain situations, the distant haze seems better somehow, but all in all I am not entirely sure if everything is really worth the upgrade price. Knowing what I know now I probably wouldn't have bought AS16+ASCA and certainly not ASCA. I don't really regret it though: AS16 is good and it's nice to be up to date... :wink:

Thanks Jeroen, that's one really helpful contribution. I've been using ASN til now, sitting at the fence for some time now, always waiting to see what REX is cooking up (let me guess - we'll know around the holiday season). So I'll just sit and wait a bit longer.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Thank you for your comments chaps, like Michael I think i'll  hang on a little and await further developments.

Many Thanks

Mike

ASCA + AS16 is the most realistic combo I have used.

I am not after the most beautifull blue skies nor the nicest looking clouds.

For me it is about looking as close to what it looks outside...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I am using FS Global Real Weather to date. Does anyone have experience with both FSGRW and AS16? I would really like to know if it is worth the upgrade as FSGRW was not cheap and neither is AS16, so it would be nice to hear what the differences are if anyone knows.

ASCA + AS16 is the most realistic combo I have used.

I am not after the most beautifull blue skies nor the nicest looking clouds.

For me it is about looking as close to what it looks outside...

LOL Which is why I don't like ASCA. ;) The clouds often did look odd/fake and the skies often were nothing like I see outside: too many fantasy colors. I suppose everyone's view on reality is a bit different. ;) It's a good thing we have choices!

Jeroen, take your sunglasses off when looking outside.

Fs is too much Polaroid coloring at most people's setups

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

AS 16 is a entirely new game, and worth every penny and then some. As far as the ASCA clouds, I have seen them, and I much prefer my Rex Soft clouds. But they are inexpensive, so try them, you can always go back to soft clouds if you don't like what you see. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

The combination of AS16 and ASCA is indeed a game changer but that doesn't mean you will like it. I don't. I reinstalled my computer a short while ago and happily left ASCA out of the reinstall cycle. I liked my HDE clouds more and I sometimes absolutely hated the presented sky colors. AS16 on its own (combined with whatever texture addon you'd like to use) is good although the differences with ASN may be a bit hard to tell unless you look closely. Yes, the changes in the UI are obvious but not of any importance (imho). The skies look more overcast in certain situations, the distant haze seems better somehow, but all in all I am not entirely sure if everything is really worth the upgrade price. Knowing what I know now I probably wouldn't have bought AS16+ASCA and certainly not ASCA. I don't really regret it though: AS16 is good and it's nice to be up to date... :wink:

Nice write up. I'll hold off on AS2016 for the time being. I pretty happy with ASN & rex soft clouds. Of course, if they continue to update AS2016 I'll have to reassess. 

• Upvote 1

I am using FS Global Real Weather to date. Does anyone have experience with both FSGRW and AS16? I would really like to know if it is worth the upgrade as FSGRW was not cheap and neither is AS16, so it would be nice to hear what the differences are if anyone knows.

Weather radar in PMDG aircrafts ( and upcoming FSLabs airbus) only works with ASN or AS16. So no choice.

I also have FSGRW but do not use it since AS16 is out. At ASN times, it was less heavy on frames and I liked to use it for VFR.

In-cloud experience with AS16 is the best what I have seen on a screen. If you fly VFR mainly (where you obviously may not come close to clouds according to national regulations), you can stick with FSGRW, because it is also a great wx engine.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Weather radar in PMDG aircrafts ( and upcoming FSLabs airbus) only works with ASN or AS16. So no choice.

I also have FSGRW but do not use it since AS16 is out. At ASN times, it was less heavy on frames and I liked to use it for VFR.

In-cloud experience with AS16 is the best what I have seen on a screen. If you fly VFR mainly (where you obviously may not come close to clouds according to national regulations), you can stick with FSGRW, because it is also a great wx engine.

The best effect in AS16, which to me is  worth the entire price of it, is when flying through clouds, you see the clouds move rapidly over the windscreen, just like in real life. I have never seen that in any sim I have flown with until AS 16.  It is amazing to see. Once you try it, you will never go back to another weather engine. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

The best effect in AS16, which to me is  worth the entire price of it, is when flying through clouds, you see the clouds move rapidly over the windscreen, just like in real life. I have never seen that in any sim I have flown with until AS 16.  It is amazing to see. Once you try it, you will never go back to another weather engine. 

The problem is you see it too sometimes when there are no clouds in the vicinity of the aircraft.

Also X-plane has this effect also.

To me, it is a game changer. I see a significant difference in performance from ASN and a huge difference considering dynamic clouds. As to whether or not it looks "real" - I spent a lot of years staring out of a cockpit window and to me, AS16 + ASCA  using dynamic clouds are the most realistic I have seen in a sim.

As someone said though, each person is different and if the comparison is purely visual, then it's a singular purely objective opinion and doesn't mean YOU will like it. As far as AS16  - it has a free trial so that's a no brainer. ASCA is very inexpensive so it's worth the try.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors