Sign in to follow this  
alexdm

Loaded Scenario 1 and Aircraft Breaks and On Fire

I tried to complete Tutorial 1. I followed this:- 

"There is a saved situation included with this tutorial. It can be installed by placing the included DC6B_scenario_ 1.txt file in the DC-6B aircraft folder of your X-Plane directory: X-Plane 10\Aircraft\PMDG\DC-6\DC-6B."

So I placed the txt file into the folder as indicated but when I load scenario 1 the aircraft jumps and crashes on the runaway crushing the gear and emitting smoke from the 4 engines, completely flat and broken on the tarmac.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the advice!

Stupid question: I have purchased and downloaded the plane yesterday and I assume I have the latest release -- am I right or do I need to download some patches or other? Many thanks!

Am I doing something wrong?

Not necessarily. Unfortunately, if the sim detects your aircraft is underground, it'll immediately "crash" you. If your scenery is different from the scenery on the computer used to save the tutorial, this may be the case.

Instead of loading the scenario, simply recreate it as written in the tutorial: load up at PDX and use the map tool in XPL to relocate to 28L.

Kyle Rodgers

Thank you but I was following the Tutorial 1 by the letter because I have no idea yet how to operate the plane hence I am not sure how to manually recreate the scenario. Thanks.

Thank you but I was following the Tutorial 1 by the letter because I have no idea yet how to operate the plane hence I am not sure how to manually recreate the scenario. Thanks.

Welcome. Sorry for the initial difficulty. Hope you enjoy it!

Kyle Rodgers

By the way I am utilising the KPDX scenario by Mister X suggested in the Tutorial 1. I tried with both "runaway follow terrain" on and off, but still it is not working. 

I am a complete noobie with this aircraft and I can only follow the tutorials to learn it and you just say "sorry for the initial difficulty...."

Excuse me, but for 70 dollars I expect a bit more than "sorry for the initial difficulty" I need a precise solution on how to be able to go through Tutorial 1 e and 2.

Confident that you will appreciate my concern.

Thanks

Full names in the PMDG forums please.

I understand your frustration,  I assume you are new to XPlane??  It took me a long time to learn some basics about XPlane while I was trying to figure out the DC-6 and it was frustrating at times, they seemed to make the user interface as unfriendly as possible on purpose just rebel against good design practices published by Microsoft.

You need to learn how to start XPlane, select and aircraft and have it start at a specific airport on a selected runway.  There is a lot of help available to get this far..., and once you do then you can start the Tutorial published by PMDG.  The KPDX scenery is probably not a requirement, only a suggestion.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thank you Dan,

My full name is Alex di Martino. Not sure where to indicate this though.

I never mentioned I am unfamiliar with XPlane. I have no issues with XP. As I said, I simply would like to be able to go through the DC6 tutorial 1, which has nothing to do with Xplane functionality. There is an issue that when I load Scenario 1 the aircraft jumps and gets on fire, as I already said in my first post.

I am unable to go through Tutorial 1 because of this problem. Simple. 

I am unable to go through Tutorial 1 because of this problem. Simple.

This is what Kyle and I are trying to tell you, you do not need to load the scenario to use the Tutorial.  Start XPlane with the DC-6 on PDX 28L.  Engines will be running, the aircraft will be in a default startup state and  you simply start following the tutorial beginning page 8. Set up the GPS following the tutorial.  There's no secret sauce, just follow the tutorial.

It's time I made the customary request to note forum rules require full names on a posts, thank you.

Dan Downs KCRP

By the way I am utilising the KPDX scenario by Mister X suggested in the Tutorial 1. I tried with both "runaway follow terrain" on and off, but still it is not working. 

No idea who/what MisterX is. The runway follows terrain is something I used while creating that file, however, you must have the exact same scenery that I have (to include all of the landclass, the airport, etc.), which you may not have.

I am a complete noobie with this aircraft and I can only follow the tutorials to learn it and you just say "sorry for the initial difficulty...."
Excuse me, but for 70 dollars I expect a bit more than "sorry for the initial difficulty" I need a precise solution on how to be able to go through Tutorial 1 e and 2.

Whoa there...

Based on your earlier post, I'd assumed you'd understood my post and were able to successfully fly. There's no need to fire back like that. Simply explain in clear terms what is going on. "Thank you for the assistance but I'm still not able to fly," or something similar would've been simple enough to let me (or others) know that more help was needed. The post that I responded to did not indicate this, though reading it again, I can see (in light of your later posts) what you were getting at.

On page 7, instead of loading the scenario, move your mouse to the top of the screen and select Location > Local Map. In the menu that opens, click Runway 28L.

which has nothing to do with Xplane functionality.

This is an odd statement from someone who, a few sentences before notes a lack of experience with X-Plane. This is especially so because it absolutely 100% does have to do with X-Plane. The program doesn't have the best implementation of moving aircraft around on the ground. Instead of recognizing "if the position puts the plane underground, put plane on ground," it loads the plane underground and triggers a crash as you're seeing.

You can also use the same Local Map function that I referred to earlier to drag a plane around between the same to spots. You can drag a default plane around and get the same result, particularly if the "terrain follows" function is turned on.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Thank you but this begin to be polemic and argumentative trying to say Im unfamiliar with XP that I know from version 7...I simply asked for some support for some incoherent behaviour of an Add On by PMDG which is clearly behaving weird. That s it. Not to worry, thanks for your help anyway. Didnt mean to upset anyone.

You say you dont know Mister X maybe ask the person who wrote Tutorial 1 why he indicated Mister X scenery on it for KPDX. 

Thanks for your help anyway.

Best

Alex di Martino