Sign in to follow this  
DaveCT2003

Shared Cockpit & Computer Security

A few days ago the Internet suffered one of the largest and most widespread Malware based attacks to date, affecting millions of people.  No matter what you read about this, the attack was far more widespread than is being reported.  The majority of these attacks were Denial of Service (DOS) where a tremendous (possibility even record breaking) number of personal computers and "smart" home appliances are infected over long periods of time and then "activated" to target organizations and companies. 

Malware infections are not limited to creating Drones for DOS attacks. To my personal knowledge, there have been at least 3 major state sponsored malware threats that cost governments millions of dollars and written by companies who specialize is cyber warfare, that have been gotten out of their cages and have been mutated and being used by private individuals and organizations for their own nefarious purposes not the least of which is identity theft and stealing financial information.  This has been happening daily for many, many years, but what is new is the level of threat and number of people now at risk.  I haven't even mentioned Ransomware!

Most people know not to connect to certain websites (though some and even many do this anyway) and to avoid plugging in thumb drives or insert CD/DVDs we don't trust, yet people in the flight simulation and other gaming communities will do something FAR more risky by connecting to a computer of a person whom they do not know.  Worse, they'll do so much as a thought to computer security software on either end.

I can assure you that computers have already been infected by connecting for Shared Cockpit, and given that at least 1 in 10 computers are already infected by serious malware (some security experts say this number is far higher), I think it's safe to surmise that we have several people in flight simulation who have compromised computers and don't know it.

My friends, I realize this post is already too long and despite how importance this topic is some will have already skipped through it.

I would just like to remind people that pinned to this forum is the OVPA CFD Setup Guide which will help you to fly Shared Cockpit if the safest way possible.

Additionally, if you are over the age of 24 and are interested in a group where all members have certified computer security such as that defined in the OVPA CFD Setup Guide, then drop by the OVPA Website and check us out. 

Note please that OVPA is a fun loving, but serious private flight simulation group.  We take our flights and our fun seriously, and we only accept those who already believe in putting the team first. You don't have to be an expert in flight simulation to join OVPA, but you should have a desire to learn how to fly realistically and learn a great deal about flight simulation software setup.  The average person usually doubles their knowledge in both categories in the first week or two.

My very best wishes for safe, secure, Happy Flights!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.