Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kingair315

Too much haze

Hi,I noticed that I can't have a clear, sunny day with no haze in my FS environment. Even with max visibility and clear weather I always have a sensible haze all around, and details are always a bit undefined. Is a matter of settings, or my video card (radeon 9600 pro) is the guilty ?ThanksFrancesco

Are you using Active Sky? In that case you must remember to switch off weather in FSUIPC. You can also try these settings in fs9.cfg:TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=96.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4More info here http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...&topic_id=11356, Ryans post.Hope this helps :)Eagle

Thanks Eagle,I read the topic you suggested, what is "LOD clamp"? Seems a video card setting, I can't find it in my Radeon 9600pro.F.

That's a specific NVidea setting I think.Eagle

Francesco,Please feel free to add a screenshot to your thread since that may help clarify what type of haze you have... -John

The good news is it's not a vid card issue. From your shot, it looks like your visibility is at most 30 miles. Weather is the only thing that can set the vis. that low. Do you have FSUIPC installed? I recall it doing something with haze with previous versions--gradiated haze I believe was the term. It automatically applied haze and increased it based on altitude. Other weather add-ons may do the same, so I would look at any add-on that may touch the weather.-John

The picture that you posted in not that far off from reality. There is haze in the summer - especially in the summer. Pollution is a major contributor to this phenomenon. Any real-life pilot can tell you that there is much more haze in the summer with much lower visibilities, especially on a 'clear' day. People incorrectly confuse haze with fog, which generally occurs in the fall (depending on where you live).Hope this helps,Pat

Hi Francesco,I like haze. It brings a sense of reality to the sim. However, you can modify this feature within FSUIPC by altering the visibility settings. The following images illustrate what I mean:This first image is a capture at relatively low altitude with my usual visibility settings in FSUIPChttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/133809.jpgThe second image is taken from the same altitude but you can see I have altered the Upper Visibility value from 30 miles to 60 miles. Now this has little impact as my General Visibility Limits are set to 30 miles on a clear day and 20 miles when cloudy. The changes seen in the image are subtle but noticeable. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/133810.jpgThis third image was captured from an altitude of 30000ft with my usual visibility settings in FSUIPC and you will note how the haze appears much more dense. Again I regard this as being pretty realistic in our modern polluted environment and, as a bonus, neatly hides the nasty horizon.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/133811.jpgFinally, I have changed the upper visibility limit to 60 miles and the haze disappears. Suddenly the FS world appears unrealistic but this can be useful at times when you wish to examine the terrain around your position in detail.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/133812.jpgHope this has been of some help to you.Mike

"Finally, I have changed the upper visibility limit to 60 miles and the haze disappears. Suddenly the FS world appears unrealistic but this can be useful at times when you wish to examine the terrain around your position in detail."Just curious if you've ever tried applying my add-on, Soft Horizons Mike? I wrote it for situations like the last one, to avoid that "sharp look extending to the vis limit". Some other add-ons may also address the issue, but S.H. is a low bandwidth solution that may help, and it's lurking here in the file library.-John

Hi John,"Just curious if you've ever tried applying my add-on, Soft Horizons?"....no I haven't, but I'll certainly give it a try. Currently I'm playing around with Flight Environment (Don't tell Chris!). With my usual vis settings the sky textures from both packages (ASV or FE) do an admirable job and the distant horizon is not really an issue for me. Looking at your before and after images in the zip archive, they do appear to confirm that your creations provide an obviously worthy alternative choice for those that don't use these packages.http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=...llis&CatID=rootRegards,Mike

Thanks everybody. Now I have a clearer idea about what is happening. Yes, I believe actually my picture shows a "real world" situation for what concern haze - or fog (my english is not so good probably to pick up the difference at first). My interest was simply to have a sharpest view in certain days, that's all. And - ####, I forgot it! I have FSUIPC set with a max 30nm visibility in clear weather, that's the reason why even with visibility slider to max I couldn't get differences. Mike, your last picture is probably what I was aiming at. I'm going to test some more.Thanks againFrancesco

Guest Kingair315

In S.California, especially within 60+ miles of the coast, at ground level haze can be thick enough to call it fog. Many mornings we do have fog with very low visibility until 10am or later. Seldom is visibility ever more than 30-40 miles. With smog, it is even worse, as it turns the haze brown.