Sign in to follow this  
FromTheFlightDeck_Sim

Does Ryanair really land hard as people say?

Quite.  But as I said above, as a fairly frequent flyer I've noticed it, though I can't explain it.

I'll set my smartphone to record g-forces and try and give you some data in a few months' time :)

It's usually people who are not type-rated - or pilots at all - who judge what is, or is not, a hard landing. Without technical knowledge about (a) landing or the circumstance around the landing itself, those people are the least qualified to express a judgement on the merits or de-merits of any technical aspect of flying.

IIRC some aircraft need a pretty firm touchdown for the autobrake and antiskid to activate properly. So in some cases it might not be a pilot issue after all, and more a question of aircraft, type and age (of the plane...).

LORBY-SI

Again if you care to read my original post, I am not making any claims on the technical definition of a "hard landing" or whether any airline is technically "better" than the other.

Although a non-type-rated (indeed non-pilot) individual, I do however believe that I am qualified to judge the relative magnitude of a kick in the butt and that this is an observation that I have made over several years and flights that I would honestly like to have an explanation of.

Even if the explanation is "it's all in your butt".

Again if you care to read my original post, I am not making any claims on the technical definition of a "hard landing" or whether any airline is technically "better" than the other.

Although a non-type-rated (indeed non-pilot) individual, I do however believe that I am qualified to judge the relative magnitude of a kick in the butt and that this is an observation that I have made over several years and flights that I would honestly like to have an explanation of.

Even if the explanation is "it's all in your butt".

I understand.  But my comment extends beyond those who flightsim and was never in the first instance directed at your commentary.

What is a "hard" landing? You will find that all British airlines from BA down habitually do what they call "positive" landings. On other words deliberately avoiding "greasers". Because they take up much more runway and can be extremely dangerous on a wet runway if you are habituated to doing them.

Quite right. When I was learning my CFI got quite vocal about 'greasers'. He wasn't against a soft landing per se,  but not at the expense of using up runway.

I guess it all depends where their gate is as far as speed is concerned. At HRW I often hear pilots requesting and getting  a runway more suitable to their gate. For instance with BA Terminal5,  the landing runway at the time may be 27R but they will ask for and get 27L if its possible. Then they can just cruise to the end of 27L and straight into the terminal.

You can "cruise to the end of 27R" and turn straight into Terminal 5....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You can "cruise to the end of 27R" and turn straight into Terminal 5....

Yeah, the terminal is equi-distant to both runways.

My butt doesn't need a degree in anything aviation related or have knowledge of real pilot training to know when a pilot has exceeded the 350FPM mark.     :lol:      The last Southwest flight I was on the pilot put the landing gear up my butt.   Easily was over the 300 FPM mark.   I recorded the landing on camera.  You can hear a few passengers behind me yelp out some expletives at the landing impact force.   It was amusing.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

My butt doesn't need a degree in anything aviation related or have knowledge of real pilot training to know when a pilot has exceeded the 350FPM mark.          

Yh, but there are 'hard' landings and there are HARD landings.  The OP#s suggestion is that the latter applies to Ryanair more often than not which just isn't true.

My butt doesn't need a degree in anything aviation related or have knowledge of real pilot training to know when a pilot has exceeded the 350FPM mark.     :lol:      The last Southwest flight I was on the pilot put the landing gear up my butt.   Easily was over the 300 FPM mark.   I recorded the landing on camera.  You can hear a few passengers behind me yelp out some expletives at the landing impact force.   It was amusing.

Southwest flight 345 anyone?

Or is it people pay more attention when it comes to Ryan Air? The culture Ryan Air has created people say nothing when they get things right and point fingers at everything else.

I like the Southwest theory best. Makes sense

Matthew Kane

I will never forget the most frightening landing I've ever experienced years ago on my return flight from the last Developer's Conference MS/ACES had in Seattle.

Southwest landed on 31C at KMDW and seemed to "float forever" as we serenely passed 4R, then drifted past 4L, finally crunching down firmly just as 4R was passing under the horizontal stabilizer...

...at which point thrust reversers began roaring and probably both pilots were standing on the toe brakes! The aircraft finally shuddered to a full stop at the very end of 31C. The PIC actually had to use reverse thrust to back up just enough to make a right turnoff onto taxiway M.

During the entire time all I could think of was the horrible overrun from a few years prior that ended up with the plane in the street!* I probably wouldn't have been so frightened were I not very much aware that they used up nearly two-thirds of the available 6522' before the wheels touched the ground. :shok:

* Southwest 1248: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Airlines_Flight_1248

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I fly from Dublin to various airports in the UK (and back) on average about once per week. I use Ryanair and Aer Lingus in equal amounts. I'll always take an Aer Lingus flight if I can. I can say with absolute certainty that Ryanair have harder landings. As for the reason, I don't know, but people have pointed out some good theories above. I particularly like the one about leaving the runway at the earliest possible taxiway, it would make perfect sense from a Ryanair point of view as they pride themselves in their quick turnaround and "on time" flights (even though they try to make out that the flight time is much longer than it actually is). I also like the theory about the younger and less experienced pilots, but in all honesty I often see a lot of older pilots as well, and they also make hard landings.

Aer Lingus on the other hand are a different type of airline. They're always more expensive, but they are far more relaxed in the cabin, and they don't spend the entire flight trying to sell you smokeless ciggies and scratch cards. And their landings are definitely much smoother.

It could also just be the difference between a 737 and the A320. After all, the A320 is a newer aircraft and it's probably better equipped for landings.

One more thing, I can't be definite, but as far as I know, Aer Lingus usually fly with a cost index of 40 whereas Ryanair uses 6. I have no idea if this has any bearing on landing performance.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,

Neal McCullough