Sign in to follow this  
Guest bobsk8

VATSIM

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

WOWI joined VATSIM two years ago, but as I was just getting into FS anyway, plus the software headaches, I gave up.Now, I've tried again. Got SquawkBox3 and fired it up, with the encouragement of Chase (Trans_27 Pilot Chase)Now I see what everyone's been talking about. Awesome! I only wish there were more people on it! I was nervous as all get out when I first keyed the mike, but after the short jaunt from LAX to SAN, I was falling into the beat of things. I've also joined a VA, which is another first for me. I joined up with Southwest Virtual. Why?1) Close hub (MCI)2) Like 737's3) Love those SWA jets! When I worked at TUL, almost all of us where I worked stopped for at least a little bit to admire those gold and red 737's taking off and landing.4) SWVA is big, and well structured, IMHOSo now I'm VATSIMming and VA'ing, and FS just took on a whole new light to me..Wish me luck!!PS: Like my new sig? Whipped it out in about an hour lol.http://home.earthlink.net/~dawgfighter/sit...es/swvasig1.gif-Jeremy BurchSWVA4806 http://www.virtualswa.com/home.phpThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!

Guest bobsk8

I agree. I have been Vatsimming now for about 4 months and think it's the greatest. UPSAC Virtual airlines and my LevelD767 combine with Vatsim to make a very realistic simming experience. Vatsim USA has also been holding a weekly event in each section of the USA, Last night was the Northeast for instance. You can take a two hour flight and have ATC all the way. Every Friday Night they have a TGIF flight that works with a few VA's including UPSVAC, and they have a fly in , in one of the US Airports. In this way, there is always heavy Vatsim ATC, every day of the week......They now have the Vatsim Pilot Training available for anyone to look at prior to joininghttp://www.vatsim.net/prc/

Vatsim can be good, 737s are very nice indeed.Your sig is nice, but a bit busy. I'd remove the chart background and use a different font (to make it easier to read).

I have been on VATSIM for over two years now, and I do almost all of my VA flying on there for a couple of different VAs. I CAN'T fly offline with FS2004 "ATC" anymore. I just can't bring myself to do it. If I fly offline, it's GA flying and I just go my own way VFR and ignore ATC.When you're ready, try participating in one of the many fly-ins like the Friday night TGIFs, or some of the ones that SWVA no doubt schedules. A nice easy cruise from Point A to Point B is one thing. A fly-in like we had at Delta Virtual Sunday night is another. Nine of us going from ATL to PDX, nine more coming in from SLC to PDX, and we all got there about the same time. Having to fly the arrival in my old warhorse Dreamfleet 727 while punching through a line of storms 35 miles east of Portland, watch for traffic, follow ATC instructions...it's a rush. It makes you appreciate even more what real pilots go through day in and day out. (It also makes you wish for a copilot, or at least two more hands!)Lewis "Moose" GregoryRichmond, Virginia

glad you like it bro.. It took me about 3 days after joining, before i would key the mike... Just typical though.How about that flight tonight? :D Maybe if our funny friend at LA Center is on, we could give him a nice buzz? :-hah

Guest bobsk8

Has anyone tried the brand new Version of FS Inn, and if so , what do you think of it compared to SB3?. I asked this question on the Vatsim Forum today , and was greeted with a pretty negative comment about my question, which really surprised me . I figured I would be "safer" to ask it over hear... :-)

FSINN used to make my fs file go corrupt, so i used to not use it. I tryed downloading the common version of it yesterday, and i couldnt figure it out. SB3 seems easier to use... :)

Guest jgreth123

I use FSInn ( 1.0, not 1.1 beta ) and definately prefer it over SB3.

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

We'll definately fly tonight Chase. I hope the LAC controller is on too, we'll hagle him a bit :-lolI'm going to fly for SWVA this afternoon to get a PIREP up and going, should be well past finished with that by around 7 this evening, so I'll have time to fly some prop VFR with ya.Anyone else wanna meet up tonight? Chase wants to check out his FlyTampa scenery. We haven't decided exactly what we'll do yet, but we're going to plan on 9PM.http://home.earthlink.net/~dawgfighter/sit...es/swvasig1.gif-Jeremy BurchSWVA4806 http://www.virtualswa.com/home.phpThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!

I prefer FSInn overall, haven't tried the 1.1 yet (may wait until it's final, do enough beta testing at work to do it for free :) ).

Guest kevin2003

BobSK8 I saw the response you got today on the Vatsim forum from Benjamin Fels,who I think is the developer of FSInn although I'm open to correction.I thought his comments were misplaced,inacurate and wholely inappropiate to the question you raised.Later comments by senior forum members leveled the pitch a bit.To answer your question......I started out with SB3 about 7 months ago and all was going well untill about 3 months ago when my program developed a serious stutter problem.I was unable to sort this problem by my own means and consulted the SB3 forum.Alas no joy there but the "stutter" thread has had 9525 hits to date so its reasonablw to assume that a great many people have this problem.I migrated to FSInn and the first thing I noticed that the stutter problem had vanished.Then I noticed what a trully excellent pilot client this is.Everything from a real mini panel to a flight plan that is so user friendly.And tons more stuff.You really do have to check it out for yourself.I wish the creators of SB3 every success in sorting the stutter problems out(which,it must be stressed, do not effect every user) but I'm sticking with FSInn.To my mind it sets the standard.kevin

I also experience the stutter problem with SB3 so I made the switch. I went back to SB3 a few days ago, and there is no comparision. FSInn should be awesome once the dev's put in voice with the software.

Guest ChadBlack

>I also experience the stutter problem with SB3 so I made the>switch. I went back to SB3 a few days ago, and there is no>comparision. FSInn should be awesome once the dev's put in>voice with the software.>>With the new FSInn 1.1 which is now available, you no longer need to run AVC seperate. It has its own voice client built in, like SB3.I waited 3 years for SB3 to come out, it was on my system for 3 days. My hats off to the SB3 team, but IMO FSInn is far superior.