Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

Decent ATC addon?

Hello,

I tried to look through all the ATC addons that are available at this time but it's hard to get a good idea of how well they work. Basically I'm looking for one that features SIDs and STARs, proper phraseology and doesn't sound too robotic and voices that sound like they are transmitted by radio because some addons seem to have voices that sound like the controller is sitting next to you on a park bench. I think Microsoft did a good job on the default ATC in terms of speaking because the voices don't sound robotic. If anyone who has used multiple addons could provide some input that would be greatly appreciated.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Hello,

I tried to look through all the ATC addons that are available at this time but it's hard to get a good idea of how well they work. Basically I'm looking for one that features SIDs and STARs, proper phraseology and doesn't sound too robotic and voices that sound like they are transmitted by radio because some addons seem to have voices that sound like the controller is sitting next to you on a park bench. I think Microsoft did a good job on the default ATC in terms of speaking because the voices don't sound robotic. If anyone who has used multiple addons could provide some input that would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried every ATC that is currently available, and have narrowed it down to two choices, Pro ATC and PF3. Pro ATC is more geared to tubeliner flying, and PF3 does all types of flying and has around 140 voices, and there is a free demo for it. The only issue, is the demo has only 4 voices, and they are not 4 of the best voices. Either program, you can't go wrong. 

• Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

You've tried Voxatc too then? Put an eye on it initially because of the function to speak yourself but the voices sounded like the park bench. Pro ATC has some kind of real world ATC chatter layover doesn't it?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

I use PF3 and I'm not looking back at all the other ATC addons I tried before.

PF3 works for general aviation VFR flights as well as for airliner IFR flights. As far as I can tell it is the proper phraseology throughout.

It supports SIDs and STARs, as long as you are aware that you have to choose your SID and STAR as part of your flight planning and don't expect PF3 to choose them for you.

It has 100+ different voices, the great majority of them is very good. And with the proper settings they all really sound like radio transmissions. If you listen to liveatc.net simultaneously it's sometimes hard to tell the difference.

Since it works with hotkeys it can easily be controlled via voice (using a separate speech recognition software like DWVAC or Multi Crew Experience).

Last but not least, it has a great support forum and the developer himself is very responsive. The software is continually improved on a regular basis.

• Upvote 1

I didn't want to reply because I have only used one ATC addon so far but when I read this...

It supports SIDs and STARs, as long as you are aware that you have to choose your SID and STAR as part of your flight planning and don't expect PF3 to choose them for you.

...I just had to post that my personal favorite, ProATC, assigns SIDs and STARs automatically and at the appropriate time, and all depending (and changing) on the weather. This is of course very realistic and one of my favoriete features of ProATC because in the past I always had extreme problems figuring out the correct SID, STAR and transition. I didn't know that PF3 didn't do this. A while ago I was thinking about getting another ATC addon: I am glad I didn't.

Take note that asking 'what is the best this or that' usually is a bit useless on flightsim forums because everyone has their favorites and most simmers can be quite er... stubborn in their choices (don't know right now how to say this in proper English).

Canuck, If i were you i would go ProatcX.The latest version, i had the chance to have a look at the newest beta as well, is really ,imo,the best thing out there when it comes  ATC addons. And I have all of the ATC programs out there (well i dont have pf3 but i have pfe and i tested pf3 demo).

I have vox atc and prot atc-x. I fly mainly jets and I prefer pro-atc x. I'm still getting used to it but its good for sid/star flying. If you really want an ATC experience give vatsim a try. 

Pro ATC X does that. You just have to plan in a way that your flightplan starts and ends with a valid end or start point for a procedure and then it will assign one automatically.

I'm very inclined to go for ProATCX. Just read the avsim review and I'm excited about what it offers. You can download North American accent chatter files as well as North American accents for pilot/controller voices?

Pro ATC X does that. You just have to plan in a way that your flightplan starts and ends with a valid end or start point for a procedure and then it will assign one automatically.

And btw since the last version it also supports flights from and to airports without SID or STAR! Quite important. ;)

And btw since the last version it also supports flights from and to airports without SID or STAR! Quite important. ;)

It always let you fly to and from airports without Sids and Stars. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I'm very inclined to go for ProATCX. Just read the avsim review and I'm excited about what it offers. You can download North American accent chatter files as well as North American accents for pilot/controller voices?

Take note that the review was done with an old version. The latest update was a major one which made everything even a lot more realistic as far as real life procedures go.

I thought this was new in this version...? Previous versions only worked with airports that had SID and STAR...?

Not always, Bob. I am now (1.8.5.0) able to make flights from and to small uncontrolled airports that I was unable to fly with 1.7.2.0 (an error message in German appeared). Granted.

Not always, Bob. I am now (1.8.5.0) able to make flights from and to small uncontrolled airports that I was unable to fly with 1.7.2.0 (an error message in German appeared). Granted.

I flew with 1.7.2 for along time ( I think that was the number, the version before the latest) , and never had an error and flew from and to small airports all the time. Did you Airac match the data in PATC?

I flew with 1.7.2 for along time ( I think that was the number, the version before the latest) , and never had an error and flew from and to small airports all the time. Did you Airac match the data in PATC?

They did. Same flight plan, different version.

Anyway, some small airports did work with 1.7.2.0 as well, other didn't. With the new version all small airports I tested so far work with Pro-ATC/X 1.8.5.0.